Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I could eat a horse. A big one.

Six weeks after surgery (and one fill later) I'm as hungry as ever. I know I could eat a giant steak without getting "stuck". The band is completely invisible to me. I'm not scheduled for another fill for 5 weeks--after we get back for a Carribean vacation. I was nervous about getting a fill so close to travel but if I don't I might just g ahead and chew off my arm.

What do you think? OK to get a second fill two or three weeks after the first? OK to do some quasi-international travel right after a second fill? I don't want to push the boundaries of this band at all, but I lost 30 pounds on the pre-op diet and during the first two weeks after surgery. Since then I've been chipping away at that.

Any advice from veterans out there?

I'm thinking medium rare for the left arm for starters...

You are too funny...lol...and in quite a prediciment. I understand because I too put off my first fill until after a small trip. And I was hungry too. VERY!!! I just did the best I could and made healthy food choices. I too could have eaten a whole steak but didn't. Portion Control helps and eating healthy Snacks so you're not starving. I love Greek yogart, string cheese (low fat), cottage cheese, hummus with a few crackers. I maintained during this period and was glad to have done that. Hope some of this helps. Best wishes!

been there for sure....it slowed down after that..the hunger and the weight loss...good luck

Man you both have had a fill already! I am 5 weeks out and I am not getting m 1st fill till 5/13, my waits at least 3 month before he will do a fill. Yes I could eat almost anything, and a lot of it.. But I have been good, and loseing a little at a time...

Go for the fill before your trip! I had my surgery on 1-7-10 and just had my third fill two days ago...and I'm just NOW feeling some restriction. I had my first fill 4 weeks post-op, second fill 3 weeks after that, and third fill 2 weeks after that. As long as your doctor is okay with you getting a fill that quickly, go for it! You'll kick yourself if you wait, get the second fill later, and STILL aren't at restriction (like I, and many others, have). Go for it!

Wait till you get back, I got a fill about a month ago that just kept getting tighter and tighter, after 10 days I could barely drink a Protein Shake. I had a small unfill and I was so much better. If you end up too tight it could ruin your whole vacation (not to mention being too tight and throwing up is a major cause of slippage). You have the rest of your life with your band, it is a marathon not a sprint.

I just found out today that my surgeon will not do fills closer than 2 weeks from airline travel. Evidently, the change in pressure has an effect on the saline in the band, causing it to expand temporarily, especially on long flights. I don't know if anyone else has heard of this, but it might be worth asking your doctor about if you haven't already.

Since my husband and I are moving to Florida come the fall, what we've decided to do is to fly up to see him, then take the train back. He's just too awesome to give up altogether :thumbup:

Best of luck- your vacation sounds wonderful!

Christine

I would wait until after the vacation to get a fill. My daughter had surgery 2 years ago and had a fill a couple weeks prior to going on vacation and was miserable because she couldn't eat. She also couldn't drink until 3-4 hours after she woke up. I felt bad for her because we were at an all-inclusive 5 star resort and she couldn't enjoy the food.

I am 5 wks post-pp and just had my first fill yesterday and did feel a little ill trying to sleep last night. My doc has me on liquids for 3 days after a fill.

Thanks all, for the great advice. Very helpful. I appreciate your words of wisdom!