Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of getting insurance approval for the Lap-Band. I have been reading the forums and doing plenty of research but there are a couple of things that I am confused about. What exactly are you able to eat after surgery? What foods can you NEVER eat? I understand that there are a few weeks where we only drink liquids, then pureed, then soft foods so AFTER those first few weeks what does a typical day look like? What does everyone eat throughout their day? I would love for you to tell me exactly what you ate today: Breakfast, lunch, dinner and Snacks. Thanks!

from my list, your just dieting, lots of Protein and healthier choices. eggs/egg beaters for Breakfast, tuna for lunch, chicken and steamed veggies for dinner.< /p>

I got banded 2/9/10 and go for my first fill 3/29/10 and if i dont watch what i eat, i can eat anything and everything. read about bandster hell, that kinda tells you what your go through the first few months. good luck

Every doctor has his/her own postop recommendations, and every individual has his/her own food intolerances.

I moved to pureed Protein on Day 3 postop. Now I'm eating solid Protein, and have added nonstarchy veggies and legumes back. fruit comes next. My doctor does not recommend adding whole grains back until 75 percent of excess weight is lost; your doctor may be quite different!

Yesterday, I had:

B: Inspire Dutch chocolate Protein shake (I'm a little tighter in the morning and had a pill get stuck on Saturday night, so I was playing it safe)

L: stirfry with 1 oz. each of shrimp, chicken breast, and lean beef

D: red Beans (New Orleans style--as in red Beans and rice, without the rice)

Add in LOTS of Fluid, a Multivitamin, Co Q-10, and Vitamin D, and that's pretty typical for me. Most days I'd be eager to add a nonstarchy veggie at lunch or dinnertime, but I was not at home, and didn't want to experiment--I save that for home!

Today's plan is:

B: same as yesterday

L: leftover red beans with a sprinkle of cheddar

D: tilapia or mahi mahi and chile lime cole slaw

I have yet to encounter foods I can't tolerate---but there are many I have not yet reintroduced, and do not plan to for quite some time. These include the breads, rices, and pastas that many people find get stuck.

ETA: I forgot Snacks. My surgeon discourages snacking--not something we see eye to eye on, but I really am trying to reframe my thinking about food, so I do my best to avoid snacking. When I am genuinely starving--or have not met my protein quotient for the day---I do grab a protein-y snack. Something like another Protein Shake, a string cheese, a Babybel, parmesan crisps, a little bit of Greek yogurt with PURE unflavored whey Protein powder (www.bariatriceating.com), a little vanilla, and some Splenda stirred in---that sort of thing. Not a lot of calorie damage, and a little bump in protein.

Edited by BetsyB

What exactly are you able to eat after surgery? What foods can you NEVER eat? I understand that there are a few weeks where we only drink liquids, then pureed, then soft foods so AFTER those first few weeks what does a typical day look like? What does everyone eat throughout their day? I would love for you to tell me exactly what you ate today: Breakfast, lunch, dinner and Snacks. Thanks!

Kerri,

It will vary by individual, doctor and insurance requirements. After surgery, I went through each phase of the postop diet in 2-3 days at each phase so by the end of the 2nd week, I was back on solid foods.

I have restriction and my typical day looks pretty much like yesterday:

Breakfast: Two scoops of Protein powder in 1 cup 2% milk

mid-morning: EAS ready made Protein shake (110 cal, 3 carbs)

Lunch: 3 oz Gorton's herb & garlic fish filet, 1/4 cup steamed broccoli

mid-afternoon: EAS Protein Shake

Dinner: 3 oz porterhouse steak, 1/4 cup garlic green Beans, 2 small bites of a baked potato

mid-evening: EAS protein shake

late night snack: 2 strawberries

I usually aim for 2-3 oz of protein, 1/2 cup of vegies and 1/4 cup of carbs (potato, rice, Beans, pasta) for dinner and same (minus the carbs) for lunch. Lately, though, I've had to cut my vegies back to 1/4 cup and I don't always get to the carbs at dinner. I just had a fill though so I'm thinking the temporary swelling is the cause.

I have a hard time with chicken no matter how it's cooked, tuna fish and bread are no-no's...although crusty french bread I can do now. Most likely because it doesn't get as Gummy as regular bread. I've given up on eggs completely.

I never drink with meals because I'm asking to upchuck if I do and I always drink my 64 oz of Water.

I still can have most of the things I could pre-band...just in smaller quantities. We stopped at Whole Foods on Saturday and got a Tomato and basil pizza. It's a thinner crust pizza and I was able to eat about 4 bites with no problem. Then I was full. There was a time when I could eat 2-3 huge slices. Progress is wonderful.

Eggbeaters with cheese for breakfast. salad with Protein for lunch. chicken, fish, or some solid protein for dinner with veggies and a little bit of a yam or sweet potato. I snack on Greek yogart or hummus when needed. I can't seem to get down steak or pork at this point in time. I avoid bread, rice, and Pasta for the most part. And lots and lots of Water inbetween but not with meals or for thirty min. after. Hope this helps! Best wishes!!!