Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op diet is making me sick & weak

Hi,

I am so grateful you all are here. Reading your posts gives me so much hope.

I am on day 3 of the pre-op liquid diet (surgery on March 17). I was given 2 weeks of MediTrim and told to have 3 shakes a day or 2 shakes and 1 bar and 2 cups of veggies.

I don't want to get to graphic but its bad like I have to be in the bathroom every hour. So I called my doctor for other options and have not heard anything for two days.

Today I changed the Protein shakes from MediTrim to Hemp Protein or plant based protein. I do not feel sick anymore. I am not rushing to the bathroom anymore. However, I am starving.

Because I am not taking the MediTrim stuff I am not getting as much fat, sugar, and carbs. These shakes have less calories and way more nutrients. So tonight I had half of a serving of canned tuna (in water) when I felt like I was about to pass out. I felt so much better. Still hungry but I had some energy.

I have no energy am very weak and even things I could do before (walk up a few flights of stairs) feel impossible. Was anyone else like this? I had to take three days off and don't know how I can work like this for the next ~2 weeks.

I have no idea why they would give out meditrim when there is so much artificial stuff in it (sucralose). Am I missing something?

In addition to the shakes I drink sugar free Fiber at night and eat about two cups of raw veggies a day (kale, spinach, carrots, celery...).

Any help, advice, or experience would be invaluable. Thanks in advance.

- Hemp website North Coast Naturals, Organic Hemp Protein (2lb) - Protein - Natural/Organic - supplements Canada | Canada's Online supplements Store | Diet pills - whey Protein Canada

- Plant Protein - Vega

Vega Homepage | Sequel Naturals

Hey, I am March 17 too, so we are in this together. Every doctor seems to have a different philosophy on tje pre-op diet, mine really pushed the Unjury shakes on me they are good but no Protein Shake is great. Maybe your surgeon gets visited often by the meditrim rep, if you know what I mean. What I was told by my doctor was low carb, low fat to shrink my liver to make the surgery easier. I drink 2 unjury shakes (20g Protein each) then make sure I eat super lean protein like white fish or chiken breast and green vegatables like broccili or green Beans or spring mix salad with Walden Farms dressing(no carbs or fat). The first couple days were rough but I am feeling alot better. Now I am not doing anything my doctor told me not to do so you shouuld check with them but this works for me, good luck.

Since you've gone maverick, make sure that you're getting the right combo of nutrients (the same carb/fat/protein ratio as the recommended shakes) and that your new shakes don't contain sugar. And be aware that hemp Protein is not as bioavailable or complete as whey isolate. (That's why shakes with whey tend to be recommended by doctors.)

A bit more about your diet changes: it's one thing to change Proteins to one that has the SAME composition as what was recommended. It's another to head off in your own direction, and rationalize that you need the Protein from food, etc. Our bodies have more than enough energy stored to sustain us during a two-week low-carb diet. And those stores NEED to be depleted; stimulating the liver to give up its glycogen stores creates a smaller liver that is safer to maneuver around during surgery. Changing things up can interfere with this.

It's time for a call to your doctor/dietitian. Tell him/her that you can't tolerate the recommended Proteins. Ask for good alternatives. ASK whether you can substitute solid protein for the shakes. Don't make up your own rules---remember, doing things your way hasn't worked well for you; it's taken you to the point of requiring bariatric surgery. That means that listening to the doctor is probably a better approach for now.

As for the weakness and diarrhea: they're pretty par for the course for a few days, until the liver does start kicking out its carbohydrate. People usually start feeling better on Day 3 or 4 (just like you did), whether they change proteins or not.

but no Protein shake is great
Au contraire :smile2:

I don't know whether you will rely on them after surgery, so there may be no point in ordering. But Inspire Proteins from bariatriceating.com are awesome. I still use them to bump my Protein up each day.

I definitely agree with Betsy on this one...there are specific reasons why we're put on special eating plans prior to surgery, and by making other, unguided choices, you're really compromising yourself. I was on MediFast 5 + Lean/Green for a month prior to my surgery, but I didn't have the symptoms you were describing.

I came to believe that, not only did that plan help with getting the excess glycogen out of the liver, but also boosted my Protein reserves a bit, since I spent the first 7 days postop on Clear liquids only, which doesn't give you a lot of Protein support. Today, I move to full liquids, so I'll be able to start taking in more protein.

Before going much further, I would DEFINITELY consult with the nutritionist your surgeon works with, and put an alternative plan in place that will set you up for a best chance at success.

Best of luck to you!

Christine

Thank you all for your guidance.

My way has not worked and I need to listen and get help from my dietician. I am not an MD and should not act like one.

I will contact my dietician Monday and look into alternatives. Thank you Betsy.

I am taking it one day at a time. Thanks for your words.

Sakirby it is comforting to know you are having surgery on the same day. I am nervous and excited. Let me know how you are doing throught the next while.

Au contraire :smile2:

I don't know whether you will rely on them after surgery, so there may be no point in ordering. But Inspire Proteins from bariatriceating.com are awesome. I still use them to bump my Protein up each day.

If it is your idea to be helpful by being judgmental then you should ask your self are you answering peoples questions to help and be supportive or or does it just makes you feel better when you talk down to them. I did not appreciate your dig about whether I will rely on the shakes after surgery, nor should you call someone a "Maverick" simply because they are trying something a little different yet staying within the spirit of what she is trying to accomplish.

Pufferphish

If it helps you to know this, I was in the bathroom the first several days. It slowed down but I am still in the bathroom a lot more than usual. My stomach is rolling at times and I'm also tooting a lot :smile2:

I felt especially weak and tired the evening of day 5 but my energy level has picked up again. I'm at the end of day 7 now.

Good luck to you. I think it would be a good idea to call your surgeon's office until you get a response or consult your dietitian.