Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Medicare pay for lapbanding?

I understand that Medicare can pay for Gastric Bypass? Does anyone have knowledge of whether it will pay for lapbanding?

I'm on Medicare and I've been told that within the last few mo. they have begun covering lap banding. I've spoken with them several times and they have told me verbally if it is coded correctly they will pay. However, because they don't pre-authorize anything I am going to make sure I have the money available to pay if it turns out they don't reimburse. I'm hoping for the best.

Back in 2002 when I had my surgery done, I was on Medicare with a supplimental insurance, BCBS of Florida and they denied me initially, but quickly changed their minds when my co-morbidities where shown to them by my doctors office, after that they approved me and I never had any problem.

Cindy

I also am on Medicare because of a disability, so hoping they will pay mine also. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but have to be prepared to pay I guess. It states on the application for surgery that they don't allow any appeal process...not sure where they get that from. I understand you can appeal Medicare if you have to.

Does anyone have advice on medicare supplements for people under 65?

Everytime I've tried to research it I get frustrated because some companies say they don't sell medicare supplement to people on SS Disability. Others only sell in certain states.

Also any thoughts on which of the new Part D makes more sense?

THANKS

Medicare is a given to people on disability. Unfortunately the wait is 2 years to get it. Trust me there are days like today I wish I wasn't on Medicare. It is holding up a surgery I would rather pay for then fight over. Medicare doesn't pay the doctors enough so they won't do the surgery and they won't let me self-pay because they would be breaking the law and they have to cover their own asses...so I'm at an impasse.

I've been to doctors in California, Washington, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Georgia, Florida etc. When I had excellent insurance no problem. But many of the doctors I went to while I had excellent insurance will not accept Medicare. They have decided to officially not be a 'medicare provider.'

I have found that doctors on the East Coast and MidWest are much more willing to accept Medicare. There are some excellent doctors that will accept it but you are more likely to find them in areas where it is less expensive to practice.

Good Luck.

I live in Idaho and as of yet they are not accepting Medicare. If worse comes to worse I will go to Portland I think. I'm going to wait as I am in the middle of getting my teeth fixed, and I have to think this out. I have absolutely no clue where I will leave my dog. Only one daughter 50 mi. from here who is a nurse and if she isn't working she is in McCall (a winter resort) skiing. She can't keep my dog, and my best friend died 2 years ago of brain cancer. I know no one else here. I have really kept to myself since my surgery, and since gaining this weight. Somehow I feel safer at home than anywhere....(maybe because it's close to the refrigerator). I can't believe that 5 years ago at the age of 58 I was 5'8" and weighed 140, and am now the same height and weight 265. It seems improssible all that weight just crept up on me.

My cousin's girlfriend wants a lap band and lives somewhere in Texas. Is there any place in your state that accepts medi-cal? Do you know (for all of the medi-cal patient's out there) if they are covered???????

flexible.. Tampa General Hospital, in Tampa, FL...it's a GREAT HOSPITAL,.GREAT DOCTORS...and these medicare/medicaid representatives will tell you darn near anything you could posibly want to know about what's covered, what's not ,who pays for.; who, what, when, where, and why!!! authorizations and technicalities contact medicare @ 1-800-medicare. (I'll have to look for the # for medicaid; speaking of which, Staywell, or wellcare, ?maybe some affiliate of health ease?, not sure, but it's a program for people on medicaid, and depending on their medicaid coverage, (it can be TANF or SSI), either way wellcare will cover if certain criteria is met, that's where Tampa General comes in. It really doesn't matter if you live in Florida, Georgia, style Texas, lexus..the perfect combination for you is to make informed decisions on insurance and what fits best to you, personally, and in addition to that, make an informed decision on a good hospital, I live in lakeland, fl. but I will be on the first main hwy out of here when I need to go to the hospital. BTW there is an okay hospital about 4 mi from my house..

Yes,indeed they do. I just had mine and they paid....No problem, no letters. Oh, it has to be done at a center of excellence. UW hospital is one and thats where I went. (thats in Madison, Wis)Good luck to you. Sharon

Yes I know. I had my lap band installed on the 24th of October and used my medicare. There was a co-payment of a little oveer $900.00 though.