Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on wednesday....I cant eat...I am having too much gas and I get sick at the thought of food...I used to have ulsers and it feels like I do again..3 sips and I am sick...my Dr. is out what can I do

Stay calm, everything should be much better after a week. I suffered with gas pain for quite a while, and I didn't want to eat, either. What do you mean by "I am sick" after 3 sips. Are you vomiting? Call your doctor and leave a message if you are! Your appetite is affected not only by the surgery, but pain meds, as well...there are a lot of factors. For gas, try liquid Gas-X or simethicone drops...keep sipping your Water, and walk (shuffle?) around as much as possible. Hang in there! Cindy

I feel so sorry for you, and can't be much help, but I betcha there are plenty of bandsters to come to your rescue on here that have had the same thing happen. I would think if you can keep down some Propel that would be the best thing. Were you on any compazine or anything before for upset stomach that you could crush up, or do you have any of the Patches you could put behind your ear. You can't get an ulcer in 3 days. I used to have a huge one and it has been gone for years. You are probably suffering from acid reflux.

Your dr. must have someone on call. If not and you really feel you need help go to the ER. That's the best I can do, as I haven't gone through surgery yet. Keep your chin up.

My Dr. is not on call today and did not return my calls... the Dr. that is on call does not do this surgery...all he can do is put me in the hospital and treat the symptoms..I would rather know what is causing this..I am not taking pain meds...when I say sick...I get nauseated...I start to throw up but nothing comes up...just loud burp-like dry heaves....but the gas pain is pretty much constant...

I can only think your stomach is still swollen from the surgery. If you are vomiting I would go to the ER. You may need to be on IV fluids. I know pain meds can make you ill, but if you can't even keep down any Water you better get yourself checked out. I imagine I'll be going through much of this stuff when I get my surgery done. It sure gives me a lot to think about. I sure hope you start feeling better. You need to keep hydrated more than anything.

I agree you need to get some Gas-X to manage the gas. I had terrible pain with the need to burp, but feeling like there was not enough space for the air to come up. Gas-X and walking are all I know that may relieve it. It may also help to take some childrens Tynelol Liquid, both for the pain and the anti-inflamatory properties it has. You mentioned that you "can't eat....get sick at the thought of food".......you should be having nothing but tiny slow sips of liquids. What did you mean by that? I hope you arent trying to eat real food or even mushies yet!

You really should head to the ER, the dry heaves can cause you to rip the stitches that were put in to hold your band in place and cause a slippage. Sounds to me like you may have tried too much too soon, the first few weeks, at least, the stoma will be swollen and some people even have difficulty getting Water down. Your main concern right now should be stopping the heaves and taking something for the gas. Do you have a friend or family member who can run to the nearest drug or even grocery store to pick up some Gas-X. Walking, although probably uncomfortable for you right now, is also an excellent way of moving the gas through the system. Other than taking the Gas-X you need to keep yourself well hydrated. Drops, that's right, drops of Water over long periods of time will help with that and should help you avoid the heaves and the nausea. If I were you, I would make sure that I stayed on Clear Liquids for at least the first two weeks, that is usually what is recommended. After that slowly incorporate thicker liquids and as tolerated, mushies after the third or fourth week should be fine.

These are just my suggestions from my own experience, I am not a doctor or nurse. I still recommend you head to the ER to make sure you have not hurt yourself from the heaves. In the meantime, water only until this calms down, but you must drink to keep yourself hydrated or you will end up in the ER whether you want to go or not. Not trying to scare you, just being honest.

I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time of this and will pray that things calm down and that your recovery is swift and painless. Please keep us posted on how you are doing and please, if you need to talk privately, you can always PM me.

Take care, please.

Cindy

I was very very swollen post-surgery and had to sip smaller than I ever thought a person could sip. I would take a sip, then swallow the smallest little amount of it...just enough to coat the esophogus and get a small small amount of liquid in the stomach. One sip took about 3 swallows. No kidding, yes, that small. Slow down. Relax, don't panic. The one thing that ended up helping me was IV fluids at the hospital. I swear that is what got me on the mend, but I could have kept it from getting that bad if I had 1) not had the V-8 juice on day 4 (too acidic) and 2) not subsequently PB'd the Jello on day 5. That sent me over the edge. Anyhow, for you...unless you feel otherwise, sip smaller than you normally would, avoid the gas X tablets since you have to swallow too much at a time (it made me sick, too) and use a heating pad on your back/shoulders for the gas and on your belly for the incision areas. Once you are able to take larger sips, then you can add in the gas-X again. Fluids should be your main concern now.

Good luck. You will get though it, I promise. Go to the ER if you feel that bad and can't wait on a call back from your doc. Getting some hydration really helped. Even if they know nothing about the band, they can hook you up to IV's with no problem. Let us know how it goes!

Hi, when you were released from the hospital were you tolerating liquids? If not they shouldn't have let you go. You don't need to worry about nurishment at this point but hydration is a must. If you can not keep Water down go to the ER now. Dry heaves at this point are detrimental to your band placement and must be stopped. I would call the doctors office every 15 min until they had someone that can help you get back to you. I hope you feel better soon!

Good luck,

<!--StartFragment -->

I did the same thing after surgery and it was caused by the general anesthetic. Barfing the dry barfs and not feeling like eating or drinking even the juice.. It took me an entire day to eat the two ounces of Jello and drink a half a bottle of Water. I just keep sipping lightly and eventually the anesthetic wears off. But I did feel like crap the day after surgery. Next day..better and no barfing. Next day back to work..

Good Luck.