Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Collegiate Bandsters out there?

Hi, I'm lindsay, i had my lap band surgery march of 2008 and now i am currently in my second year of college. I was wondering if there are any other young people out there who have the band. sometimes i don't know whats "normal" and what isn't because i didnt have anyone to talk to about my post surgery issues. I have been dishonest with myself about bending the rules and i regurgitate quite frequently. I didnt realize this was a big issue until i was poking around on this site but now i have scheduled an appointment to have my band loosened and make sure nothing has been damaged.

also...i was wondering if anyone has any eating out tips? foods that work, things to avoid, that kind of thing...?

thanks!

I'm 22 and in college. However, I haven't been banded yet - not until April 7th.

Hey!! I was banded in August 2009, then had to have a port revision in January of 2010 during winter break. I'm a senior in college and it's been the most trying year ever. I too had been cheating for awhile I'm down almost 30 lbs since my August 2009 surgery but I've definitely noticed when I go home I lose more weight then when I'm at school. I know it has to do with the types of food I'm consuming, it may not be a lot but its higher in calories. I got a fill last week and the doc gave me a little too much so I've been on liquids since last wednesday. I was planning on going to get some Fluid taken out wednesday, but they are saying a snow storm and he is located about an 1 and 1/2 from me. When I was first banded it was so hard being at school, I've come to quickly realize what I can and can't eat. I can not eat anything fried at all, obviously it's not good for you, but living on campus it's pretty hard to get anything other then burgers and fried food.

It's been stressful, but I know in the end it will all be worth it! How's it going for you though at school? Have you told any of your friends you were banded? It took me awhile but about 5 of my closest friends know..

Hey! I'm a junior in college and was banded Dec 30! Luckily, I am married and don't have to live on campus with the horrible food choices! But I am at school all day 2 days a week, and luckily there is a Subway so I can get a salad. Actually, I am doing a group project on our student dining, and it has really opened my eyes as to how unhealthy the food at college is! You will figure out what works for you. I, too, have been bending the rules too much because I am not at my sweet spot yet. I go for my 2nd fill on Monday. Good luck!!!

OMG! its so nice to know that im not the only young person out there who has the band! i was feeling like i was the only person facing some of these obstacles, its such a relief!

I am super open with people about having the band. obviously i dont wear a nametag or something but it is a huge part of my life and people who are close to me should know about the struggles and successes.

first off, MANDA87! how exciting! if you have any questions or anything feel free to ask. I have lost and kept off about 35 pounds since my surgery and it was one of the greatest decisions of my life. However, it is not a magic fix, it has taken me almost 2 years to realize that i actually have to do the work and implement the rules into my life in order to have success.

I dont know if anyone else is like this, but i try to eat 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day as opposed to 3 bigger meals. i find that if i sit down for a meal, i get too stressed and eat too much too fast. so i like to pack a lunch in the morning with little Snacks throughout the day. I also try to focus on getting in different food groups. I struggle the most with vegetables...urg they are impossible in college haha.

Does anyone have any good tricks for eating out? like how to focus on eating slowly and eating smaller portions?

I am 28 and in college. I was banded 1/4/10. I am struggling to find the right foods to fit in my schedule but I think I am getting it down. I didn't want to use Protein shakes all the time but I am starting to have them more often due to my schedule. It is helping me stick to the plan. All my lab partners are trying to lose weight. So they think I am just trying the same things they are and losing. I haven't told many people about my surgery. I feel more like it is a private issue for me. I have thought about sharing but don't feel I know anyone well enough yet. This is only my second semester after a ten year break. I think eventually it is going to come up though when they realize I am losing alot. I will be taking off this summer and hopefully be accepted and start nursing in the fall. I will be way down by then and I am sure it will come out. By then I will probably be shouting it from the roof tops. I just don't like having everyone as a food policemen.

I am going to visit my brother over spring break. I am so excited about it I could bust. Don't know if I should mention the surgery or not. I don't want to but spending the week with him he may notice my new strange eatting habits. Oh well if people find out I guess. It was my decision and I don't regret it.

Hey! congrats on all the weight loss. It can be super hard with a busy schedule but i find that planning ahead and always having things that sit well in my stomach is always super helpful.

as far as sharing your surgery with people, its a really personal thing. it could be nice to share with your brother because everyone i have told has been super supportive and it has created a super trusting relationship. also if you are staying with him he might worry about your eating habits and jump to conclusion that are more severe than what is actually going on. It's totally up to you but i have found it very rewarding to share.

Guest BikiniBeachy

Hi guys! I am 23 and a Senior in college. I was banded in Oct of '08 and I'm down 80 pounds but plateauing. I've been on here more, but the chat is just full of new people asking me the same questions over and over again. I'd love to meet some post op people in college as well!

I am in my second year of college, too! I am really lucky because although I eat at the dining common, the nutritional information (calories, Protein numbers, carbs) are posted above every food served, so I know exactly what it is I am putting in my mouth.

I track what I eat kind of obsessively, but that helps me keep myself in line. Not to mention its helpful to look back and see what I was eating when I was losing a lot, compared to what I eat when I plateau. I weigh myself every day and log it into a website, so I can keep track of how much weight I am losing (or not losing, as the case has been recently). And I go to the gym every day. We're lucky because we're in college and probably have more time to spare than people who are working 9-5 jobs with babies to take care of at home. We can go to the gym for an hour or two and not feel the crunch of time.

As far as tips for eating out goes, I always look the restaurants menu up online before I go. Too frequently in the past I've ordered a meal that I thought was healthy (oh? a strawberry-walnut salad? sounds healthy!) only to realize later it was like 1100 calories. Go to the restaurant prepared, knowing exactly what you are going to get. Also, remember you can ask for half-portions. I don;t think I would have the guts to do this, so I just ask for a box at the beginning of the meal to divide my plate into. If anyone asks questions, just say you need a lunch for tomorrow!

It's a strange experience being in college with the band, and it made me so happy to see this post and realize there were other people out there!

Don't you guys hate the girls who get ice cream every night at the dining commons and are still pin-thin! Agh! It's hard.

Hey! I'm a collegiate bandster too--I started my senior year (this year) banded. As many others have said, it's definitely hard, especially living on campus and eating in the dining center. Lfoley hit the nail on the head about losing more when home versus at school. After living the college life for three years without the band, living the college life WITH the band is completely different. I'm so glad to see this thread has been started, as most of you said, it's definitely nice to see other young people who are dealing with the same thing.

I'm loving this thread! i feel like we are creating our own little club!! i am only 6 pounds away from my goal weight as of this morning!

The idea about order half portions is such a good idea! thanks! i always try to look up restaurants before i go but that half portion thing would be really helpful! are most restaurants pretty accommodating about it?

another resource i love it the book "eat this not that" it has sample menus for different types of restaurants giving you tips on what to order and it also had a ton of restaurants in there as well as grocery stopping and stuff. I would recommend it to everyone!

and i think those girls that eat whatever they want and are stick thin will always be an annoying part of our lives. but im hoping that our generation can be the ones to figure out the genetic components of why we struggle so much where other people don't. i hate when people say being overweight is just a lack of willpower!

have a good one everyone!

congratualtions at being 6 pounds from goal!!!!!! that's incredible! you should be so proud of yourself! post pictures, stat!!!! i love seeing the before and after pics. =)

we all have to think about what we are doing and what we have done, how far we've come! sometimes i get caught up in the day to day (oh no! i gained a pound! oh no, I haven't lost a pound in a few days...) but when it comes down to it, we are all fighting the good fight and winning!

and i also love the "eat this, not that" guides! womenshealth.com sends me one every morning in different categories. if you guys are interested in those lists, i definitely recommend signing up for that mailing list. they can be really helpful, and also help you when ordering at restaurants.

i love that this group exists! i feel like now i have people who know what i am going through at school! =)

Hey, I am 29 and in grad school. Great thread. Good luck to everyone! I am so close to "Onederland" - I have bought a visit to get my nails done when it happens - instead using food as a reward. :)

I agree, this thread is great.

I just graduated from my undergrad in december and have planned this semester for my banding (which happened on Tuesday 3/2/10!!!!!!) and healing.

I am heading to grad school in the fall so I will still be (somewhat) of a collegiate bandster! this is a great place to find others like me and the support I need! I love seeing everyones progress and success!

Ljlsongbird:congrats are definitely in order for you! I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to be only 6lbs. away from your goal!

To the rest of you: Keep up the good work! While being in college does allow us some free time, it can be extremely stressful. I know that running a student organization, taking 15hrs, preparing for graduation, and serving on two committees takes its tole on me--and I'm sure I'm not alone. That's been one of the hardest things for me: not giving into stress eating, making healthy dining choices (especially when my friends are eating the unhealthy, carb. laden meals), and making exercise a priority. However, we're all accountable for our actions and must continue to move forward. :smile2: