Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay Okay... bandster hell?!?

Maybe in just not being a good sport BUT I'm 6 days post op and I'm still extremely bloated. How much longer will I look pregnant?? (Even though I am a big girl my stomache has never stuck out.) So Im wondering to all of those that's been banded for a while how long does the bloated and gassy feeling last? The walking seems to make it worst for some reason also, I got up last night and went to the mall thinking that would make me feel better but it seemed the longer I would walk the bigger I felt.

So my questions are:

* How much longer will I fill bloated and gassy?

* When will the feeling of hunger come back?

I completly understand how you feel. I am 17 days post-op, and I still have gas, not as bad as the girst week and a half, but after I eat I feel so bloated. I still look about 6 months pregnant. I looked 9 months pregnant after surgery and many days after. I was also wondering am I now going to suffer from gas constantly. I have never had gas pains before surgery, this is all new to me.

help us!!!!!!

Hey ladies, I was banded 7 months ago and I do remember a lot of gas pains, and some bloating, but not to the degree you have described. Walking helped me. Are you on liquids still? If so, what are you drinking? I have read about others who struggled for a while with gas pains but it just didn't seem so much for me. I was on liquids for 12 days and drank mostly broth or skim milk or weak Decaf tea. Hope you both feel better soon, and if not, you might want to call your surgeon.

I was banded on 2/22/10 and I still have the gas and my stomach is still swollen in the mid section. I was just wonderin the same thing. I have felt hungery from time to time. I was think it was more mind over matter tho. And because it was that time of the month as well. Be encourage... I am excited about this new change we have made to improve our life. :biggrin:

Im on liquids, Haven't been hungry but I have been drinking Protein Shakes. I'm doing pretty bad just one a day and alot of Water.< /p>

As I understand it the reason walking helps the gas and bloating is that it isn't gas like we think of when we eat certain foods. The gas they use in surgery to inflate the abdominal cavity is different. It does pass with time. For me, as I sit here and think about it, I had more problems with left shoulder pain from the gas than bloating in my abdomen. Again, if you don't feel better soon, you might want to call your surgeon.

For me, the gas pains peaked around Day 4, but I remained bloated for about two weeks. I felt really good, though, by around Day 10. That was sort of a turning point for me.

The gas you're feeling is likely not in your intestines---yet. Carbon dioxide was used to inflate your abdomen during surgery. And it does hurt quite a lot. (It also causes some tissue irritation, so that contributes to the discomfort.) With time, any gas that remained in your abdomen after they finished diffuses into the intestine and is expelled by the "usual" route. Until then, it's mighty uncomfortable.

You also are experiencing swelling--and in this case, you're right; you're NOT being a good sport! You chose an elective surgery; surgery = incisions = swelling + pain. These, too, diminish rapidly. Until they do, remind yourself that it's all for a good reason--and something you very much wanted. It doesn't feel like it now, but it really will be worth it--I promise.

My hunger returned ...oh, around Day 3. Not everyone's does. Since you are ABLE to drink lots of Water, replace some of that with Protein, even if you don't want it. It will help your body heal. (It will also help flush excess Fluid from your body.)

Are you walking as much as you can? That helps a lot, too.

my hunger returned with a vengeance yesterday!!!! the rumbling in my stomach woke me up last night!!

my abdomen between my belly button & bra line is still swollen. I believe mine is not bloating or gas but swelling from the surgery itself, so if that's the case then it will get less & less as I heal.

This too shall pass :biggrin:

Thanks everyone, Im just being a big baby! I need the words of inspiration because I don't have support from anyone in my personal life. I come home to people eating pizza and fried chicken, and here I go drinking Protein shakes! and Vitamin water! yepppppp that sucks but its like I don't miss the food at all I just miss the texture of food in my mouth. weird!

I find that the gas went away very quickly and attribute the gas I have now from the Protein Shakes.< /p>

I'm doing a little better today. I'm back at work my gas has gone down a lot I'm soooooooo happy. Now im assuming the bloating will go down in due time.

I find that the gas went away very quickly and attribute the gas I have now from the Protein shakes.

I think that this is a valid thing to consider, especially if someone is new to Protein drinks or had a problem with milk previously (lactose intolerant). If you suspect that might be a problem, look for a lactose-free Protein Drink (will likely be bought in powder form). Maybe a soy isolate Protein? I THINK, even tho it is from dairy, that whey isolate (not concentrate) is also lactose free.

Miss Cherita today was the first day I saw my stomach and realized it wasnt sticking out as much. I too felt horrible and fatter than when I went into surgery. I still have a lot of gas as well. But I think its early, I was banded on the 23rd as well and feel that everything is good considering that this IS surgery and its only been 7 days today. I know it will get better, looking forward to looking GOOD!!!

Miss Cherita today was the first day I saw my stomach and realized it wasnt sticking out as much. I too felt horrible and fatter than when I went into surgery. I still have a lot of gas as well. But I think its early, I was banded on the 23rd as well and feel that everything is good considering that this IS surgery and its only been 7 days today. I know it will get better, looking forward to looking GOOD!!!

Yeah that is so true.. my appetite is finally coming back I ate some Soup from olive garden and kind of strained the chunks out and I feel pretty good. my coworkers are all like OMG you lost weight.. My scale is not moving as much but if they can see a differance Im happy!