Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been reading all the postings for weeks and at that several times a day. This is my first time posting myself and I want to first start out by thanking everyone of you for educating me before my decision to go ahead with "the new me!"

I'm now on day 5 of liquids, and haven't cheated, not even once! This is the first for me. On every "diet" or change in my eating, I would atleast try one little something I wasn't suppose to. This journey in my life is so much different than anything else I've ever done.

I'm so excited about my surgery date on the 9th, I can't even sleep. The thought of "the new me" has consumed all my thoughts. I find myself on this website atleast four times in the middle of the night.

One thing I am a little concerned about is I've just come down with chest congestion. I've lost my voice, feel crapy (SP) and soar throat. I started a five day antibiotic.....what do you think??? Too close to my surgery date being sick? I'm praying that the antibiotic will kick this and I'll feel good as new in a few days.

Thanks to everyone again!

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather, but it's good that you have started the antibiotics. As for congestion after the surgery, it's not likely, though everyone is different, but because it is not a long surgery, only about an hour, the surgery itself doesn't usually promote chest congestion like a longer surgery might. If you are having a severe cough with this, I would contact the surgeon before hand. Coughing is not a good thing for a band, especially a new one. It can be very painful and might cause you to disrupt the stitching they do to put the band in place. That would be my only concern, along with a concern of a fever. Fever represents infection and that's not a good time for surgery.

Sounds like you might just have a minor cold and will in all likelihood be just fine, but don't take any chances and contact your surgeon, just to be on the safe side. Even the nurse in his/her office should be able to answer your questions on Monday.

It's always so exciting for me to hear from people just starting the process and getting ready for surgery. It's a special time in our lives when we make these life altering decisions and it helps remind me of my own excitement during that time. It helps keep my own dream alive, so thank you for posting. I hope you have a very successful surgery, speedy recovery and learn to love the new you!!

Keep us posted on how you are doing please, you'll be in my prayers that everything works out perfectly for you.

Cindy

I'm getting banded on Nov. 8th so I know exactly how you feel. My doctor requires two weeks of Optifast before surgery. Hang in there because it does get easier!