Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet For 2 Weeks?????

My surgeon tells me I will be required to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks before surgery. Now, my thought is that if I could remain on a liquid diet for 2 weeks I wouldn't be needing him. I would shrink my stomach on my own. It doesn't make any sense to me. I don't see how this can be accomplished, and if it is possible why will I need the surgery. I will have already learned how to starve. Very confused.

The liquid diet is to help shrink the liver. From what I have read about 50% of surgeons require the liquid diet, mine did. You always have the option of finding a different surgeon. But, most of us have been on liquids and survived. I did it and I think it actually made the post op diet easier. After the third day on liquids I was no longer hungry. Then after surgery there was no hunger pain. I was on sugar-free liquids on top of just liquids. That was really hard for me as I am not able to tolerate sugar substitutes. If I have even a single packet of Equal I have a Migraine for several days. I discovered the Propel was my best friend as was warm chicken broth, eaten out of a bowl with a spoon, I tricked my body into believing I was eating "real food". I also had egg drop Soup with the eggs strained out, that was also a post-op staple for me. I was banded on July 28th and I am down over 40 pounds, I think the 10 days of liquids was well worth it and I am sure that one day you will look back and say the same thing. Best of luck in whatever you do. ~Mandy

I'm doing things a little backwards. I did all the tests first as I'm a bypass patient and I needed cardiac clearance and loads of tests to get the cardiologist's approval. He readily approved it after all the tests were done, but said he would never have approved gastric bypass surgery. I didn't ever want that anyway. I like to know there is an alternative if anything goes wrong.

I will have to get past the two weeks of liquids, but I haven't started on it yet. I probably will do a lot of bawling though. Luckily I don't have to cook for anyone else so that shouldn't be a problem.

I know my liver is fatty because they told me that when I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago, so I guess what he is requiring makes perfect sense.

You women and guys are all surviving and seem to have a great support system going. I still have a psych eval to get through and then the testing stage will be finished. It took a mo. to get the sleep eval done. Two weeks till the results got back to my dr. that I had sleep apnea, and then going in the hospital 10 days later to find out how much C-pap I needed.

I'm going to make it through this though...probably be calling on all for some help. Thanks for your reply. :)

Don't worry, the two weeks goes by fast. I added fresh veggies and fruit to the liquid diet -- hardly adds any calories and you get the chance to munch on something. Managed to lose 10 lbs no problem prior to surgery.

You will have to be on liquids for 1-2 weeks after surgery too, and it's extremely important that you stay on them and don't eat solid food too soon, so that your band has time to heal in place.

Just part of the routine -- it goes by fast and you'll feel better after the first couple days.

I am typing this at 1:50 a.m. so you can see I'm a nightowl. I've raised my kids and I sleep as late as I want in the morning. I worked 38 years as a medical transcriptionist, and would probably still be working had it not been for the open heart surgery and dr's. orders it was time to retire. I now find I stay up till very late at night, and I'm so scared this will be a major problem after surgery.

My eating habits suck. I have coffee in the morning, and then I don't eat a thing till about 5:00 when I'm starving and scarf up everything in sight. This means of course Snacks later in the evening, which absolutely has to become a no-no for me. There is nothing worse then eating at night and I know it.

Before my heart surgery 5 years ago I was 5'8 1/2" and weighed 157....so you can see where retirement and giving up smoking have gotten me. I have gained 100 lbs. One good thing...I have a fat closet and a thin closet :) which should come in handy unless everything is out of style.

I'm very depressed about the weight I gained, but I'm the one who overate. To top it off I have a lousy thyroid, but smoking kept my weight down. That is all it did though...it led to major heart surgery, so if you smoke please quit for yourselves and your loved ones and if you don't smoke, don't ever start.

My daughter had gastric bypass 3 years ago and she eats like 5 times a day...little things, not much. She has some applesauce or a little Cereal with skimmed milk in the morning, mid-morning yogurt or a yogurt drink, afternoon some fruit or a Protein Bar, and a light dinner. She also goes to bed at a decent time because she has two kids at home. I have to change things. I don't think I will ever not be a nightowl, but I do think I can change the way I eat and try and never get so hungry I keep scarfing up food. I'm going to try little meals (when I can eat real food)_

I haven't started any of this yet, as I've been busy getting all the tests done so when I see the dr. there shouldn't be anything left to do.

I'm rambling and probably the only person awake on this board.

Night all and thanks for all your help. You are all angels in desguise.

Hi fellow night owl, boy do you sound an awful lot like me. I was banded over three years ago. I too was told to go on an all liquid diet, yucky liquid at that and I said exactly what you said, if I could loose the weight on my own, I wouldn't need the surgery. But as was explained to you earlier, it's an attempt to lower the fat around the liver. It seems if there is too much obstruction of fat from the liver, they cannot do the surgery laporoscopally. Trust me, you don't want them to get in there and then find out that they have to open you open for a major surgery. You've had open heart surgery, then you already know what a big deal that is. With the lap surgery, there's no comparison, believe me. I have also had a quadruple bypass, prior to banding, and I'll take the lap surgery any day. I went in on a Monday morning and home on Tuesday and never even needed pain meds. I lost over twenty pounds prior to surgery which was a great jump start to losing weight. After you have the surgery, at least for the first week or two, your stoma will be swollen and you won't even notice hunger. Until the swelling goes down it is imperitive that you not further irritate the stoma and stay on liquids only. I don't know if you have read any of the postings here and if you have for how long, but you can go into the support area and read about those who have these terrible problems when they first get home. It is usually caused by them attempting to eat too soon and keeping the stoma inflammed and swollen.

I also used to smoke and have to give them up due to the heart attack at age 38. I was on disability for about five years, and finally went back to work, office work and have done that for the last four years, until I recently got laid off in March. I am now studying through an online course to do Medical Transcription, how's that for an eerie coincedence?? Kinda like we live parallel lives in the Twilight Zone:-]

I was in nursing school, finishing up the first year of the two year RN program when I had my heart attack. I continued to do homestudy college courses towards a BSN while waiting to go back, when I developed endometrial cancer and needed a hysterectomy a year and half after my open heart surgery. The doctors told me after that there was no way I would ever be able to do nursing, which totally broke my heart and still hurts ten years later. But, you can't fight life you have to live with it.

If it's any help at all you can probably get away with adding some fruit or even baby food to your liquid diet. The main thing you need to avoid pre surgery is anything with fat content. That's what my surgeon told me and it worked for me.

Please feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk privately. This is a high stress time for you and your feelings of frustration are prefectly normal. But believe me, all of the discomfort of the dieting will be so worth it in the end. This band is the best thing that ever happened to me and I would do it again if I had to in a heartbeat!!!

Afterwards, you may even realize that your anger isn't with the requirements, it's actually towards having to change your life and give up something you have found comforting for many years, food. I think you're ready to take that step, but only you know for sure.

I wish you the best and remember, there is a ton of support here and we have all been through it. The level of relating, compassion and understanding here is unsurpassed by any other chat board, in my humble opinion.

One more thing, as for you eating at night, if you are living a flip flop day, then eating at night is fine. If you don't get up until 2 or 3, then have your coffee and a protien drink for Breakfast, your lunch at around 8 and your dinner around 12 and if you then go to bed between 3 or 4 or later, it's no difference. The important thing is not to eat at least 3 to 4 hours before you go to bed according to the experts. Maybe this information will help you with that. I hope so.

Good luck. I will keep you in my prayers that everything goes smoothly for you. Please keep us posted on your pending surgery and follow up with us afterwards to let us know how you are doing.

Cindy

Wow, the similarities here are scary to say the least. After 38 years as a medical transcriptionist I wish you all the luck in the world. It is a great paying job. I never went to school. Back when I worked in a hospital as I secretary I self-taught myself out of a PDR and other books and learned on the job. They don't do it like that anymore. You will love doing it, but take lots of breaks. You tend to keep going and find yourself stiff and sore after a few hours. I wish you oh so much luck.

I already know my liver is fat. I was insulted to have a dr. tell me that :) but it is, so I know this is essential for me to get through the liquid phase, which hasen't started yet, as there is oh so much paperwork involved and getting cardiac clearance was a pain.

My gosh, you have had 4-way-bypass and I have had 5-way-bypass. Was told at the time I "drove myself to the hospital with what I thought was indigestion" that I was none to soon and would have had a major heart attack and been dead in 2 mo. The arteries were 99% blocked, so I really lucked out. I feel like God's hand was guiding me, so I know he wouldn't want me to give up now. This surgery will help me be here to see the grandkids grow up.

I think you are probably a lot younge then me, but what the heck you are my new "best friend" ;) We truly have a lot in common.

If you can survive having your chest cracked open this should be a piece of cake. That was horrible recovering from, and I gained a lot of weight that first yr. between quitting smoking and eating....all my own fault.

Thanks for all your input. I'll make it through this. Please keep in touch "night owl"

When I told my best friend about your post and what you said, he started laughing like crazy. He said 'You finally found your twin sister,' I remember when you said exactly the same thing. It's too funny and little like the twilight zone, do do do do, theme music, LOL!

I don't think I could possibly be that much younger than you, I'm 49. I had a heart attack at 38 immediately followed by the bypass surgery. Wow, you had a 5X CABG? I hope you are feeling better now, how long ago did you go through that? I know exactly what you mean about the cardiac clearance too, they drove me nuts. I wish someone would tell these bonehead docs(no offense, but really) that stress is not exactly healthy for cardiac patients, but they sure put you through enough. I swear it's almost enough to make you have a heart attack, but it's all of our safety and their malpractice insurance. I think however the later is probably more important to them sometimes. Not all docs are bad, but in the last ten years I have met and dealt with more docs that were insensitive, crude and downright mean.

Where do you live? I was just wondering what part of the world you are in.

I live in Miami, FL and recently went through the whole Hurricane Wilma episode. No power for a solid week, what a pain. Could have been worse though, and sadly is for many of the people here. I personally didn't suffer any storm damage, so I count myself as extremely lucky on that count.

Feel free to PM me if you have anything you want to talk about, but not necessarily post on the open boards. I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have or lend an ear for venting or shoulder to cry on.

Thanks for all of the encouragement about doing medical transcription. I was studying nursing when I had my heart attack and was never able to complete the second half of the program. Tore me apart as I really loved it. I figured, with the training I've already had and basic terminology experience and the fact that I can type b/w 65-70 wpm, this would be a good career option for me.

Take care,

Cindy

I know what you are going through. However, I only have to do a liquid diet for 5 days. I will not lie and tell you that it is easy. I have never drank so much Water in my life!!! And, let me tell you, it has not been working for me anyhow. Today is my fourth day and it is getting a bit easier. However, this is truly one of the hardest things that I have done in my life thus far. The hunger cramps and the head aches have been driving me crazy. I can barely even sleep at night from the hunger pains. However, I do believe that it is worth it to shrink my liver so that the surgeon can have a better chance at peforming my surgery successfully. It is going to be rough, but you will thank yourself for sticking through with it in the end. I also have to admit that it has given me a sense of empowerment, being able to consume only 600-800 calories a day for 5 days. I have managed to lose 4 pounds in four days, so it does work. I have even cheated by having 3 oz. of tuna and a few wheat crackers for the past few days. Just get your head ready and dive right on in when your time comes. You can do it!!! :)

My doctor didn't require total liquids, but 2 weeks of 1000 calories a day, which was a challenge. I know this is obvious, but its all about the Protein. Find Isopure at your local health store/GNC - the clear Isopure is 40g protein in a 20 oz. bottle for 160 calories. It saved me, and I still drink it when I'm really working at lowering the calories! Good luck!

Cindy, I'm in Idaho....across the country from you, but I've been to Florida to visit and have a daughter that lives in Tennessee. I'm sorry you had to endure Wilma. This hurricane season has been horrific for those of you in the south. I've never been through a hurricane. Idaho probably has the calmest weather of anywhere. The change in seasons is usally mild with snow in the mountains but not much in the valley. It gets pretty hot in the summer, but it is never humid. The climate is really good. Parts of Idaho are beautiful like Sun Valley, etc. and parts are desert. I live in a small town closer to the Oregon border and it is really pretty. I have a daughter in Boise, Idaho who is a nurse, and 4 other daughters that don't live around here.

Keep in touch with me please. It's nice to have found someone I have a lot in common with :) I think the bypass surgery makes us pals for life. ;) We know what it is like to go through that, and there is no experience in this world to describe the healing process and how helpless you feel at first.

I'm also on a liquid diet.....day 5. I've been perfect up until today! I ate 4 Ritz crackers and 3 french fries. I feel like such a failure! I've made it so long....these few bites weren't even worth it....or for that matter, good. Hang in there! I have been drinking Protein shakes, which I love and they help me out tremendously! I get them from Advocare and there the best.

The worst thing would to have the surgery and the doctor not be able to complete the procedure because of your liver. Drink, drink and drink some more!