Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 58, is it too late for me?

I would like to hear from people who have done this surgery in their late 50s. I am almost through the approval process and would like to know that not everyone is 30 and a lot healthier than I am. I have diabetes, hypertension, apnea, reflux, high cholesterol, joint pain, general lack of motivation and energy.

I would like to know I am not alone out here. :wink2:

Please post!

Froggie D

I am 45 and pretty compared to a lot of the folks here.

I'd bet that at least 10% of the people here are 50+

I was banded on 12/29/09 at age 59. I also know of somebody that was banded at age 72!!!

I had diabetes, high blood pressure, knee surgery. I am now off my diabetes medicine.

Never limit yourself to being able to enjoy your life no matter what your age.

:wink2:

That makes me feel a lot better. How much have you lost? How do your joints feel? I am never sure if my pain is just age or being so overweight.

I have lost 30 lbs in 2 months. My joints are much better, i am exercising on the treadmill and the stationery bike @ the gym

I'm going to be 51 in March! Was banded on Dec. 16th and sooooooooooo glad I did it. I probably added years on to my life by doing this. You are not too old for this and will live many more years most likely.

Thanks for responding. I am counting the days.

I am 62 and was banded on Feb 15. I had no pain after surgery and went back to work a week later. I am finding that I have a new lease on life as I look forward to being a healthier and happier senior citizen

Hi Froggie: There is a good site on here for bandsters over 60 years old. (New 60+ Thread):wink2: They all seem to be doing great and have similar experiences with health issues. Try to find it -- I found it interesting and Im considering doing this and I am 62 years old. I too thought I was too old for this and afraid of complications....but after hearing some stories I am inspired about doing it. Hope I don't chicken out. ha ha -- cat lady

Edited by cat lady

Hi Froggie,

I am 61, had my surgery in Oct.2009. I don't think a young person like you, should think you are too old! I feel better than I have in years. I am in onderland, and feel great about myself!

Hi froggie, I am Sharon. I am almost 53 and have just started the process for the lap-band surgery. I have a lot of things wrong with me. High Blood pressure, Fribo, Hidal Herrnea, R.A., Asthma, C.O.P.D. and I am dibetic. I am worried about the surgery or really the complications, but I am more scared not to have it done. My doctor said if I have it I may get off of a lot of my meds.. That would be so great. Lose weight and get off some meds.. Yahoooo..... I am having trouble finding a physcaligest...for a one time thing for the surgery.. I don't know how to spell so I hope you can sound this stuff out..lol... I live in Russellville , Arkansas . I will be seeing Dr. John W. Baker.. My doctor said he is one of the best... Who is going to do your surgery ? I wish you all the best of luck and hang in there, I am sure everything will be fine. Thats what I tell myself also.. I hope to hear from you soon... God Bless you....:wink2:

Hi Froggie,

I will be 67 next month and was banded on 2-22-2010. You are NOT too old. May 11, 2009 I had a total knee replacement. Must get all this weight off the new knee - and the OLD one.

The person who recommended the surgeon to me is a year older than I am and a year post surgery. She is thrilled with her decision, as I'm sure I will be as soon as the adjustment phase is over - i.e. relearning how to eat with the band.

JC in KC

Hi Froggie--I will be 68 later this year and will be banded on 3/17/10. I have what you have and then some, except for reflux. I am actually 100 lbs overweight but the doctors want at least 50-60 lbs off to give my heart and lungs more room. They say that once this weight is off I will feel like a new person, I am taking them at their word. So, think positive you are still young.

I just turned 55 and am in the process.

I will see the psychologist next Tuesday and then all my tests will be done. My surgeons office says it takes my insurance company 60-70 days to approve so I'm hoping that I will have the surgery before June.

My PCP recommended I do this over 2 years ago I wish I had started the process then , by now I would be at my goal and much happier. I would be looking forward to the Summer and buying my new Summer clothes instead of dreading it.

You are not too old. By the time your 60 just imagine you will be at your goal weight off all your meds and feeling and looking good. We have to age anyway so you might as well do it feeling and looking your best and with less risks of all these pesky age and weight related problems.

Go for it!!!

I would like to hear from people who have done this surgery in their late 50s. I am almost through the approval process and would like to know that not everyone is 30 and a lot healthier than I am. I have diabetes, hypertension, apnea, reflux, high cholesterol, joint pain, general lack of motivation and energy.

I would like to know I am not alone out here. :wink2:

Please post!

Froggie D

YOU ARE NOT ALONE! (yes I was shouting) I was almost 56 when I was banded in May of 2004 and have lost 250 pounds and am keeping it off. I had hypertension, sleep apnea, asthma, arthritis- I was fortunate enough not to have yet developed diabetes, but I was certainly headed int he wrong direction at 424 pounds. I now wake up every morning glad to be alive and I am REALLY alive. At 61 years old I am in

the best shape of my life. My only regret is not having htis surgery sooner. It saved my life, changed my attitude and opened up a whole new world to me. Please read my success story on this site- or read about my entire journey on my blog at Sandi's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story

If I can do it, so can you. I'm here to help you in any way I can.