Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 58, is it too late for me?

NO NO NO U R not too old. I had my surgery 2 days ago at age 59. Go for it, you'll be happier on the other side.

You guys are amazing- there are more and more of us over 50 every day- When I was banded in 2004 I was the exception on 2 counts- my age was high (56) and my bmi was high- (68+) and here I am now, living life and loving it- today in a pair of size 10 jeans, pink sweater, tucked in with a belt studded with pink crystals..who'd have thought that about a 424 pound lady 6 years ago- and now I'm 61 and catching up for all those years of sedentary living- there's no holding me down...

Themoral of the story here is _ GO FOR IT!

Great advice! Thanks for sharing - we can all use it!

Hi Froggie:

I had the same question as you. I'm 51 and having the surgery in 2 weeks. I made sure I looked at everyone's age on the postings, when they had their surgery and how much they lost. I think if we are serious about eating right, we will loose the weight, (maybe not as quickly as the "kids" do, but it will come off). And even if you only lose 50% of your excess weight, that has to help your overall health.

My philosophy is, if you do nothing, nothing will happen.

Good luck to you with your decision.

I would like to hear from people who have done this surgery in their late 50s. I am almost through the approval process and would like to know that not everyone is 30 and a lot healthier than I am. I have diabetes, hypertension, apnea, reflux, high cholesterol, joint pain, general lack of motivation and energy.

I would like to know I am not alone out here. :smile2:

Please post!

Froggie D

I am 59 going to be 60 in July--I hope to be banded in May I am pre diabetic--hypertensive and sore joints also

but I going for it--I also have a friend the same age whai was banded Feb 1 and she is doing great and has lost 19 lbs.She was the one that encouraged me to GO FOR IT!!!

GOOG LUCK!!

Catmom50,

Congrats on having your surgery. I hope you are doing well. I am anxious to get mine done!

Jeri1053,

It is so cool that you are having your surgery March 12. I just got my date today - April 7. I am happy and excited and nervous all at the same time. :smile2: What do you have to do before your surgery? I have another appointment, preop lab and a preop class.

Froggie D

Debra

Wow, I am so glad I posted this thread. I have heard from so many really cool people making wonderful progress and starting new lives.

Well, I am soon to be among you. I got my date today - April 7! I can't wait. I know I can do this because so many of you have done it. I know it will take hard work but the pay off will be fabulous. I want to be off my Metformin, stop using my C-pap, be able to walk and play again.

Debra:thumbup:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches