Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Set Point Theory

I thought I read about this somewhere but can't seem to find it.

I did Weight Watchers two years ago and lost 62 pounds. I gained it all back but 20 pounds.

I had the lap band done Sept 22 and I have now reached that same weight(181 lost 41 pounds) and seem to have really slowed down losing weight.

What are your thoughts on this. Do any of you think we do have a set weight that could be genetic or any other reason?

It would sure explain a lot. I think we can get lower than our set point but with a lot of work.

I am interested in your thoughts on this.

I've determined that I'm a "happy" eater and when things are not good, I don't want to eat. :)

At one point my husband and I were separated for 1 1/2 years and my weight actually went from 213 down to 157--but 157 was as low as it would go.

And honestly, that's why I chose '157' as my goal for Banding--because I felt that was probably where my body would reach a comfortable level--and possibly would not go below that without a lot of work. :smile2:

I am to the place now where I want to try to 'force' my body to go lower, so I'm going to begin regular fills again.

I'm sure I've heard this, too--that the body reaches a leveling off point--and I really believe it :thumbup:

Edited by make33

I am glad someone else thinks this could be true also.

It is not acceptable where my set point seems to be but I think there is something to it.

Thanks

Not sure about this...I have gotten way lower than I ever was..I am about 138 right now.....lowest I ever was as an adult was maybe 195. In high school possible 165 or so....

I think maybe that older fat is harder to get rid of. I can easily lose the 160-195 fat (just not keep it off) but the 135-159 fat is what I have a hard time with maybe because it has been here for 15 years?

I think there are definitely weights where our bodies stall and act super-comfy.

I do NOT believe they spell out our weight destiny.

100 years ago (not really--I'm just old, and everything feels like 100 years ago), there was a Setpoint Diet.

If I recall correctly, the premise was that we should respect those plateau weights--allow our bodies more fuel for a while, while we're stalled at one of our bodies' natural setpoints. But THEN, we can resume the same regimen that permitted loss before, and lose well again.

I guess the idea is that if you fight the setpoint---really work hard against it from the beginning---you wind up pushing yourself to a lower calorie level unnecessarily. If you ride it out for a while, upping your intake a tad (not enough to gain), then you can buckle down again (I think they recommended a few weeks' relaxation) and get right back to losing.

So, you'd lose...plateau & relax...buckle down and lose...plateau & relax...buckle down and lose...all the way to goal.

I hope that made sense!

I too chose a goal weight based on one I'd held for a long long time.

On the way down, I stuck at every single weight I'd been for a reasonable time, it was quite remarkeable. I stuck for the longest AT my goal weight of 154, but I did eventually lose a bit more. I've never ever been my current weight as an adult. I was about 14 last time I was under 150 or so.

I guess there might be something to this.

Betsy, the set point diet that you were talking about. I wonder if we do this and not know it.

When you tend to hit a plateau you can get discouraged and maybe don't diet quite as well and then in a few weeks you are off dieting again. Makes some sense to me. It would give you that break that you were talking about. Maybe our bodies have learned this.

Jachut, I wonder if this has happend to others(stopping at certain weights along the way) I know I weighed 180 for a long time and then 150 a long time.

I really think my set point might be 150 and this 180 is just a stopping point, (like you said) along the way. I sure hope so.

Thanks for the information. Something to think about. We have some very insightful people on here.

I very much believe in the setpoint theory,although i wish it weren't true.

When I was 9 years old I weighed 200 lbs, about the same weight i weigh now. I have NOT been able to really get below this weigh -- ever. Even with the band ( I did get to 198 for 1 day over a year ago). I actually went to doctors about this, because i am restricted, I work out obsessively 6 days a week for 1-2 hours a day, but my weight doesn't budge.

The doctor told me that setpoint is true and that my body has it and that's why I can't lose more weight. I wish it wasn't true, I hope it isn't true, bc I think I "deserve" to see what life is like in the lower part of onderland.

Tulip star--set point is temporary, you can and will work your way through it. I have seen proof, don't give up.

I hope set point is temporary.

I think it is true; bu,t I think we can get past it with a lot of work. I am just wondering if we stop trying hard will we kind of bounce back to that weight.

No one commented if they think there is a genetic component to Set Point Therory. I "googled" Set Point Theory and there is a lot of information regarding genetics.

Just another thought.

My personal opinion (no scientific basis) is that we don't have a genetic set point weight but genetics gives us a large stomach that holds a lot of food, like our parents have. I would love to see a study about that.

I have heard that with this theory, if you keep your weight the same for 2 years, you can reset.

my set point was always 20 lbs - and I lost 60 lbs. I weigh what I weighed about 12 years ago so I don't subscribe to that theory at least where the band is concerned. I've blown through right past my many levels of 20 lbs gains/losses... 221, 208, 198, 188. granted I will go thru a period where nothing seems to happen for 3 weeks then it goes flying off again. Hmmm 198 was one of those so maybe you guys are right - that used to be a set point for me. Persever and you will get through it.

I have heard that with this theory, if you keep your weight the same for 2 years, you can reset.

I do reflect on this, as I have now been at goal weight for over 2 years. I hope its true. I certainly have some good habits now that will help me stay slim - my head has readjusted to what a portion size is for example, and exercise is a normal part of daily life for me.

However, I have to admit, I do feel like I have to stay on top of my weight. Many bad habits have returned, my band has loosened a lot over time and I have no wish to tighten as I do enjoy the relatively normal life I lead and no longer fear eating out with people and especially eating in the staff room at lunch time, there is not a surprise pb around every corner type of thing. I can eat any food in any situation. Just not a huge serving. But I can eat probably the amount of food a person who's always been my weight could eat. So i do feel that it could be quite easy to gain if I let my band get any looser! I dont feel as if I dont have to worry about it anymore, not by a long shot.

Still, I guess that's just the experience of being female, isnt it? Not really necessarily a legacy of having been fat. I think all women feel this way to a degree.