Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I went to my seminar yesterday and I am excited to get the Lap Band process started. I have been thinking about getting banded for 2 years but put it off due to insurance coverage and a pregnancy. My son is 6 months old and I now have Tricare. I found out Tricare pretty much approves you with no hoops to jump through so I am hoping the pre-op time will go quickly.

I do know i will have to be on a liquid diet for two weeks before and after surgery. I know this is going to be hard but worth it. Anyone have any good suggestions on what is good to eat/drink pre and post op? What did everyone eat/drink to survive not having their vice....delicous...yummy...fatty...food!

Hello!

Congratulations on starting this journey!

I had a two week pre op diet, and my surgeon's office gave me a list of the things I could have. You might want to check and see if yours will do the same.

Some of the things I remember were, coffee, tea, (neither of which I drink) non fat milk, creamy Soups, (some people do home made ones) Protein shakes, sugar free puddings and Jello, fudgecicles, sugar free.

I bought lots of Soups, Tomato bisque, and butternut squash, and others I can't remember. Some people have chicken soups, and strain out the meat for flavor. I just added a little pepper to make them spicy.

Two days before my surgery I had Clear liquids, beef or vegetable broth. Oh, yes, you can have juices, too. I think the list I got included calories for different things, too.

Good luck, and please let us know how things go.

I hope this helps.

Debbie

Hello!

Congratulations on starting this journey!

I had a two week pre op diet, and my surgeon's office gave me a list of the things I could have. You might want to check and see if yours will do the same.

Some of the things I remember were, coffee, tea, (neither of which I drink) non fat milk, creamy Soups, (some people do home made ones) Protein shakes, sugar free puddings and Jello, fudgecicles, sugar free.

I bought lots of soups, Tomato bisque, and butternut squash, and others I can't remember. Some people have chicken soups, and strain out the meat for flavor. I just added a little pepper to make them spicy.

Two days before my surgery I had Clear Liquids, beef or vegetable broth. Oh, yes, you can have juices, too. I think the list I got included calories for different things, too.

Good luck, and please let us know how things go.

I hope this helps.

Debbie

Ok i know this will sound bad but what about milkshakes/smoothies? like maybe if you made it at home... would that count for a liquid diet?

Milk shakes or smoothies weren't allowed for me. I can't speak for anyone else.

Debbie

aw darn. :smile2: i was hoping that they would be.. but i guess they would be about the same constancy as mash potatoes. because i was reading something on here about some one had:

2week liquid pre and post op

than 1 week of mush like food

and then slowly into solid

Ok i know this will sound bad but what about milkshakes/smoothies? like maybe if you made it at home... would that count for a liquid diet?

Closer to surgery, your doctor will give you specific parameters for your shakes. Our shakes had to have 15+ grams of Protein, <5 g carb, <5 g fat. It would have been REALLY hard to accomplish that with a homemade shake.

I use Inspire Proteins from bariatriceating.com. They are the best-tasting I've tried--and I've tried a lot! They have in the vicinity of 25-30 g Protein and 0 carb (off the top of my head; i don't have a package to consult.) I especially like the Dutch chocolate. They also have the best unflavored whey protein on the market; during my preop diet, I added it to broth. (I got soooo tired of sweet stuff.)

Every doctor, it seems, has a different preop diet, so don't agonize too much about details until you find what yours will be. Stock up on some good protein (it's a given that you'll need it), but otherwise, relax. You may find that your doctor's plan is less restrictive than you think.

I was just banded two days ago and used Premium Protein (purchased from Costco) to make my Protein Shakes. It comes in either chocolate or vanilla. I haven't tried the chocolate yet, but I would mix the vanilla with 8 oz of Water and some frozen fruit and it would make the best shakes. Definitely makes the liquid diet more tolerable. And if you don't have one already, I would highly recommend buying a Magic Bullet. It makes making the protein shakes a lot quicker and easier. You can also get the Magic Bullet at costco for about $50, or you can get something similar from Target for about $30.

Good luck!

weight.png

Everyone,

Thank you for your help!

Serenity: Thanks for the list!

Betsy: I def know i will need Protein and i loved the idea of adding unflavored Protein to Soup. I tend to get sick of sweets quickly.

Rayne: Congrats! Have you lost 35 lbs on the pre and post op diet?

I was just banded on Monday and I'm going crazy! I'm sick of shakes, broth, Jello..etc...lol! One more week and mushies will be like heaven!

Boy, you're not kidding! My first scrambled egg was heaven! Poetry on a plate! :w00t:!

Debbie

Closer to surgery, your doctor will give you specific parameters for your shakes. Our shakes had to have 15+ grams of Protein, <5 g carb, <5 g fat. It would have been REALLY hard to accomplish that with a homemade shake.

I use Inspire Proteins from bariatriceating.com. They are the best-tasting I've tried--and I've tried a lot! They have in the vicinity of 25-30 g Protein and 0 carb (off the top of my head; i don't have a package to consult.) I especially like the Dutch chocolate. They also have the best unflavored whey protein on the market; during my preop diet, I added it to broth. (I got soooo tired of sweet stuff.)

Every doctor, it seems, has a different preop diet, so don't agonize too much about details until you find what yours will be. Stock up on some good protein (it's a given that you'll need it), but otherwise, relax. You may find that your doctor's plan is less restrictive than you think.

ah ok thank you for the tips. well i am getting closer to getting banded but no date yet just a dr appointment to find out when I can

Hi everyone, my band date is March 16 and I just started my 2 week pre op diet yesterday. I'm using the whey Protein Powder mixed with Water. Also as a suggestion from my doctor u can use a little bit of the powder form of sugerfree pudding to give ur shake a different taste. I'm using the strawberry Protein powder and added a little sugerfree cheesecake and it was heaven. Try it out and let me kno what you think. Good luck to everone on their journey!!!

Thanks for the great food ideas. Where did you buy these items?

Hi there. I am 2 weeks post operation. I had 2 weeks pre-operation where I had to have liquids only...Optifast, CelebritySlim, etc...and now 3 weeks post op. Next week will be my last week of liquid diet, making 5 weeks in all. The weight is falling off, I am already 23 kgs(50.7 lbs) lighter already.I think I will be almost sorry to leave the liquid diet and progress to mushies and purees. I love the soups! and I flavour the shakes with essences or fruit juice etc to ring the changes.:tongue2:I use iced Water with ice cubes in it, for the shakes, and use a magic Bullet to blend it into a frappe.However, I have to admit, I prefer savoury to sweet, but, hey! It's all good! I think I will probably use Protein powder even when I am on ordinary food again...:)

Thanks for the great food ideas. Where did you buy these items?

I purchased all of my items from Walmart. They have the whey powder 2lbs container is on sale for $12 reg price $16 and sugerfree pudding packets r less than $1. I mixed and place in freezer for a while it taste better to me once its frozen a little. Enjoy!!