Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Success stories from those who've "always" been fat

Hi Everyone,

I'm kind of new here. I'm 25, actually, getting banded a week before my 26th Bday (the best present ever!) And I'm looking to hear some success stories from those of you/us who have been heavy as long as we can remember. I see a lot of people who gained weight after having kids and could never lose it but I can't be the only one who's mom dragged me to WW when I was nine or put me on Atkins when I was 10, right? I think it's a whole different set of issues for those of us who have always been the fat kid, fat teen, etc. rather than knowing what it's like to live outside the world of fat and then starting to gain weight at a later age.

I truly believe that this is what I need in order to free myself from what feels like a prison inside my own body. And I believe that all the discipline and effort I've put into failed diets in the past will finally prove successful. But... it wouldn't hurt to hear from others who've been in this position.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

I've pretty much been heavy my entire life. And yes, my mom did put me on WW at a young age, (9 or 10 y/o). In Junior High I was fit because I was on the school swim team but have steadily gained more weight since then. I have 110lbs. to lose according to my surgeon. I've mentioned that I've been on the fence but after thinking about it I've truly tried on my own. WW, low carb, Jenny Craig among the most popular. Currently I work out with a personal trainer which I love but I'm still not seeing the results I think I should see. So I'm excited about being able to utilize this tool to help me change my life.

I'm happily married and live in a great neighborhood too. But I think I can be happier. I want to start a family but I'm afraid pregnancy will be too dangerous at this weight. And I'm also hopeful that I won't develop the comorbidities associated with morbid obesity.

I have been overweight my entire life and was banded in August 2009. I have had a lot of success with lap-band and I would consider it the best thing I have ever done. I still haven't had a fill and I have lost close to 120lbs. I'm still about 50 from my goal weight and I hope to be there by the end of this year! The main thing that I really noticed after losing a lot was I don't stand out in pictures and groups of people anymore. I blend into the crowd now. Good luck with your journey and remember that the lap-band alone doesnt make you lose the weight, it takes a complete lifestyle change to succeed!

Been overweight my entire life. Got the band in June 2008...best thing I have ever done. I have lost more than 140 lbs and just bought a size 4 jeans from the Gap...couldn't be happier :wink2:

Wow all these stories are encouraging. I'm 25 been overweight since about age 12. Am scheduled to be banded on 4/14. (3 weeks before my 26th bday) I have a lifetime of bad habits to overcomme so I'm pleased to see this works for people who have always struggled rather than those who just got off track in the last few yrs.

Thanks for the responses. It's good to meet you all.

I am now just over 2 weeks post-op and have lost 26lbs (including some pre-op.)

I wish it would keep coming off but I know my body has to stop and catch up at some point so I'm just keeping at it.

I know everyone always talks about the "lifestyle change" but I'm going to say, I think that really reinforces the false idea that all fatties are lazy, junk food addicts, and do nothing more than sit at home all day. Maybe I'm the exception, not the rule, but I have always lived an active, healthy, outdoor lifestyle and done my best to choose good foods. Unfortunately, genetics (3 generations of overweight family members) and endocrine disorders like PCOS from a young age, have made my body resistant to losing weight in all but the most extreme circumstances.

Never in my life have I done what I have done for the past month: living on 1000 calories a day while still exercising at least 1 hour a day. The first 2 weeks were pure willpower but the past 2 have been easy in comparison since I don't feel insatiably hungry like I did before.

I'm not knocking anyone's personal journey to better health but I'll be the first to admit it feels patronizing to hear the repeated "it's a tool -you have to work it" and "it's a lifestyle change" lines. My lifestyle, activity level, food choices, etc. are pretty great (and have been for years) but I'm hoping to finally have the help I need via the band to kick the constant gnawing hunger that never would go away for more than 30 minutes.

So far so good. And it's really encouraging to see success in people with no fills. It looks like I won't be getting one at my 6 week post-op, if things continue the way they are.

Thundergrrl~ You and I sound a lot alike. I, too, have been overweight my entire life. I still remember all the diet plans mom had me on: WW, jenny craig, the cabbage Soup diet, herbalife, medifast shakes, Atkins, south beach, nutrisystem... None of which gave me astounding results. Then, add in many generations of obesity and PCOS... I have always maintained an active and healthy lifestyle, eaten nutritious foods, gotten enough Vitamins and sleep, blah, blah, blah, but have consistently gained weight! I was banded on 4/1/10, 2 days before my 26th birthday. I am excited to lose this excess weight and get a fresh start in life!!!

I have always had weight issues. I only got to a BMI of 36 before getting banded and to me, that was a gargantuan weight problem, I was enormous! I was absolutely desperate about my weight by that stage.

So I may not know what it is like to weigh 300 or 400lb. But I know what its like to be taken to WW at 10 years old, put on shake diets and have people say in hushed tones, "she's not really fat, she's just big boned". I got teased for it as a child, I was never the cute or pretty one in the group, I always had a BMI of about 28 which for a teen is pretty hearbreaking. I couldnt buy clothes in the stores I wanted, i was relegated to plus sizes from about 14 years old when I outgrew an Australian 14 (US 12 or so) which was the largest size most stores stocked back then.

Were I teen now, I'd probably fit in better because kids are much much fatter nowadays than they were back in the 70's and 80's and clothes come in a wider range of sizes. But in addition to being fat, I did go through that teenage ugly stage that some lucky girls simply escape. I really grew into my looks, lol.

I have NEVER been what I am now - a healthy, attractive person who doesnt obsess over food or weight. After over 2 years of maintenance I have gained the confidence in my body that i never had, and with my exercise habits, I can be confident that I wont gain 10lb in a 2 week holiday. I have relaxed around food, I like my new self, life is great!

Edited by Jachut

Montynic, that's too funny. Sure we're not some sort of bizarro-world twins?

I think the only one I didn't ever do was cabbage Soup. If only I'd tried that before getting banded, maybe it would have saved me :thumbup:

So when did you/do you get it?

I can't call myself a success story, yet but I have been overweight most of my life. I was dragged to WW meetings as a child. I even went to a WW camp in The Poconos for a few weeks when I was 12. You know that Fat Camp reality show they had on MTV for a little while? Well that was where I went. Now that guy Tony owns it. He was there when it was the WW camp, Camp Colang. I've struggled my entire life with my weight but I know this time is different because I see so many ppl here who battled with their weight their entire lives just like me and are now finally getting to see what it's like to be a "normal" weight. And they're keeping it off. It shows me that I can do it for good this time, too. I'm so excited! I'm 2 weeks post op and 23lbs down and I know that's 23lbs gone for good!! :thumbup:

Montynic, that's too funny. Sure we're not some sort of bizarro-world twins?

I think the only one I didn't ever do was cabbage Soup. If only I'd tried that before getting banded, maybe it would have saved me :lol:

So when did you/do you get it?

Yep, the cabbage Soup diet would have totally saved you! :smile2:

I got banded on 4/1/10, so I've officially been 1 week as of today. I got switched to mushy foods yesterday and I must admit that the scrambled egg I had for dinner was the most amazingly wonderful scrambled egg I had ever tasted! :) Including my self-inflicted pre-op diet, I have lost 25 lbs.