Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please be honest with me.....

Everyone gave you great advice, get back on your post op plan and move on. Really you did it move forward it is too late to look back. lets go. You have got the power with in you. I believe in you. Scotty D

My surgeon has a 2 week pre-op liquid (with non-starchy veggies allowed), 2 week post-op liquid only, and 2 week mushy (extended if you can to allow more healing) before starting on "real" food.

I did extend the mushies beyond one week, but took any flavors that I wanted and blended them- chili dog, beef masaman, spaghetti - it might sound gross, but after 4 weeks of liquid only, the flavors that had been driving me crazy tasted so good, and the blended version felt better going down.

In week 4 I admit that I really needed to chew something, so I took croutons and dipped them in my Soup and chewed real well, knowing they'd break to nothing before I swallowed. But it did feel/taste good!

Coaco "Desire to eat your dog" - - that is just too funny~!

I was banded on 2/3 supposed to be on full liquids for 21 days. Last night was a challenge as we were out late and had to find a place to eat. I managed to find a place where I could have french onion soup/took out the bread and I ate the pot roast out of the 1/2 pot roast (very soft meat) sandwich I orderd. I discovered I could have stopped at the Soup but old habbits had me ordering more than I needed. I have had little slip ups along the way. When I feel I can't stand it and need texture "real food" I have tried to find soft healthier options. Each doc is different and so I figured some people go back to soft foods three days out and if I have a small bit of something soft, it is not going to kill me. Just make sure to move past it and get back on track.

Oh my that had to be tough. I'm on a 21 day liquid diet myself. First day of solid food is Thursday and I can't wait.

I have not cheated once. My motivation is knowing I paid quite a bit out of pocket for this surgery (I'm self pay) and I'd be taking that money and throwing it all away if I cheat. I don't get mushies or pureed food so that sounds heavenly to me. In my research of the band I saw people were getting 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 fills and asked my coordinator about it. She said they went on solid food too soon and even though they feel fine now 6 months down the road give or take, it can cause problems. The other reason was so many doctors don't use fluro. Fills should be 2-3 for women for a lifetime and 1-2 for men according to my doctor so adding up that cost too I'm sticking to my liquid diet and I say that as my stomach is growling!

I'm not try to preach or make you feel bad just letting you now my motivation to get through this liquid crap phase. Also, folks at work have noticed my weight loss now and have said quite a few nice things so that is motivating too.

Good luck I wish you the best!

I have just had my 2nd fill and am pretty tight. I eat just until I am full---BUT I STILL WANT TO EAT THE REST OF THE FOOD! I stare at it and it makes me so MAD that I can't eat it!! I know if I do eat it, it will make me vomit and after 1 time of that--that was enough! I know how you feel and I hope and I can get out of this mind set! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!

BUT I STILL WANT TO EAT THE REST OF THE FOOD! I stare at it and it makes me so MAD that I can't eat it!!

This is something I struggle with every day! I still fill the plate further than I should...and sometimes take an hour with many breaks in between to eat most of the Protein that I take. I am pretty good at putting anything else away for later, but the Protein is in my daily calculation so I want to eat it.

This head re-training is the hardest part of this!:redface:

Wow! I am so incredibly encouraged! Thank you all for the replies.

What a blessing to have such a support system here.

I WILL start fresh in the morning and not look back.

I guess I just felt burned out from trying so hard to stay on the preop diet. After the surgery, the first week I followed the diet perfectly, and I gained 2 pounds. That really discouraged me, and sent me off course.

I think in the back of my mind, I felt like once I had the band, the cravings would be gone. But I guess they can't put a band around my brain, can they?:frown:

Thank you especially to those of you who shared your struggles to follow this too. I wasn't looking for someone to justify it, or to make me feel better. I just wanted to know that I am not unique in finding this very, very hard. And I wanted to know that others who hadn't followed things exactly as prescribed were still able to get back on track and get the band to work with them.

Thanks again. You all are the best!

I have just had my 2nd fill and am pretty tight. I eat just until I am full---BUT I STILL WANT TO EAT THE REST OF THE FOOD! I stare at it and it makes me so MAD that I can't eat it!! I know if I do eat it, it will make me vomit and after 1 time of that--that was enough! I know how you feel and I hope and I can get out of this mind set! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!

Oh man oh man! Can I relate to that. I think to myself. "You had surgery to not eat so much, WHY are you wanting to take a few more bites when you are satisfied?!?!? You are such a dork!"

Sheesh :tongue_smilie:

please read my story my screen name is willbaskinnygirl

thanks

Edited by willbaskinnygirl

Oh my that had to be tough. I'm on a 21 day liquid diet myself. First day of solid food is Thursday and I can't wait.

I have not cheated once. My motivation is knowing I paid quite a bit out of pocket for this surgery (I'm self pay) and I'd be taking that money and throwing it all away if I cheat. I don't get mushies or pureed food so that sounds heavenly to me. In my research of the band I saw people were getting 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 fills and asked my coordinator about it. She said they went on solid food too soon and even though they feel fine now 6 months down the road give or take, it can cause problems. The other reason was so many doctors don't use fluro. Fills should be 2-3 for women for a lifetime and 1-2 for men according to my doctor so adding up that cost too I'm sticking to my liquid diet and I say that as my stomach is growling!

I'm not try to preach or make you feel bad just letting you now my motivation to get through this liquid crap phase. Also, folks at work have noticed my weight loss now and have said quite a few nice things so that is motivating too.

Good luck I wish you the best!

please read my info. my screen name is willbaskinnygirl

thanks and good luck

Oh man oh man! Can I relate to that. I think to myself. "You had surgery to not eat so much, WHY are you wanting to take a few more bites when you are satisfied?!?!? You are such a dork!"

Sheesh :)

please read my story at willbaskinnygirl

thank you!!

read my story please it might help? screen name is

willbaskinnygirl

please read my story at willbaskinnygirl

thank you!!

?? Might help me what? I read it, I am sorry the band did not work for you. I hope you find a way for you to be healthy.

I have been very successful with my band, I am 3 pounds away for a normal BMI.

I was merely expressing that sometimes I still have the desire to overeat. That is not something the band can help me with. Head hunger is a fight that must be fought each day.

Best wishes.

Greetings, Michelle,

I just wanted you to know that you have yet another bandster friend out here pulling for you. I can't say that I've cheated, either pre- or post-surgery. Not that I'm any kind of a saint, but I just want so badly to do as much as possible from my end to get to a good result, knowing full well that there are certain things I don't have any power over.

I will say that I don't sit next to my husband right now as we are eating, so that I'm not tempted by what he's having, some of which is off-limits to me at the moment. That won't always be the case, of course. I do still make him meals, though, and so far, that hasn't been a problem.

I have no doubts whatsoever that you'll get back on track, and that you'll be glad in yourself for doing so.

Hugs to you!

Christine

I was also self pay so I followed the post op directions to the letter. What you described about being burned out on the pre-op etc, is exactly why all of have the band. We are not new to dieting any of us. We followed many diets to the letter for awhile, then found ourselves right where you are beating ourselves up for not following the plan. Oh well we are worthless anyway, might as well get some enjoyment out of food. But wait!!! We just paid a bunch of money to help break this pattern. Hmmmm maybe we just need to hang in there and get the healing done.

Having said all of that, I do have to say that I sometimes have a grilled cheese. I can only eat half of it because of my restriction, so I eat the other half for lunch the next day. I don't do it all the time, but when I really crave it, I feel it is better to have one than to continue having the feeling of deprivation. I also got banded to get that feeling out of my life. I love my band mainly because I have finally stopped beating myself to pieces over food. Food is a non issue now.... How nice is that? Hugs!!!