Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pysch sucks! down day......

Sorry for the negativity. 1st, let me say that I understand the need to make sure we are on this path for the right reasons. I really do. That having been said, there is something that seems perverse at demanding we lay ourselves out mentally for some perfect stranger to "judge" us....and that's what they do..."judge" if we are ready, worthy, etc.

I am not a dumb woman and could see on the psych forms what sorts of issues that they were digging at, but b/c I'm determined to be honest with myself in this process, and to do everything I can to be sucessful I told the truth, rather than give the "right" answer to a question about events long, long ago. Now I'm "flagged" for the shrink to look at harder. The funny part is the tech pointed out that my life is really quite normal, on track, etc. except for my weight. But...that's not enough. Then he has the nerve to tell me that the quizzing is more about protecting the surgeon than to really "fix" what's wrong with me....silly me, I thought this was health CARE...not $$ for the doc and making sure his failure rate stays low....

Sorry again for the negativity...I'm angry..at them, at me, at the world...and sad that I had to go to an unhappy place in my mind only to have it again rob part of my life from me....I'll have to wait until next week to see what the final verdict it....Can anyone relate?

Yep, I can relate totally. To be honest, I was not totally honest with the shrink. I knew exactly where they were going with some of their questions and deliberately lied because I knew I'd be flagged even though my honest answers *should not* have been a cause for concern since some of the events/feelings/etc. were more than 30 years ago.

I do know that if this psych eval comes back in a negative way, you can get a second evaluation and dump the first one. Although if insurance is paying for it, you may have to pay for the second one. I did.

/.

I agree. For the most part the pysch needs a pysch. I have pms and my pysch did not want to give me the approval. I am just going to another . The first thing she spoke of were the serious side effects of surgery-blah blah. if they are in the "pysch" world, they should understand the psychological modes that you go through trying to loose 60-70 pounds. With the banding, after following the plan-one should adapt to the new way of eating even if the band were removed. Granted the stomach will not be as small, but it should not be as large either. Moreover, a new eating behavior should be in place helping to effectively be in control of eating habits and keeping the excess weight off

Yep, I can relate totally. To be honest, I was not totally honest with the shrink. I knew exactly where they were going with some of their questions and deliberately lied because I knew I'd be flagged even though my honest answers *should not* have been a cause for concern since some of the events/feelings/etc. were more than 30 years ago.

I do know that if this psych eval comes back in a negative way, you can get a second evaluation and dump the first one. Although if insurance is paying for it, you may have to pay for the second one. I did.

/.

I didn't realize that I could get a 2d opinion on the psych! :smile2:You've given me some hope! Thanks. Its nice to know that I'm not alone.....

I agree. For the most part the pysch needs a pysch.

The inside joke in the industry is that anyone in the field of psychology or psychiatry is a loony toon themself and that's why they went into the field to begin with...to understand their own problems.

Now, that's not true of me. I went into clinical psychology in order to understand my whacko family. :thumbup:

The inside joke in the industry is that anyone in the field of psychology or psychiatry is a loony toon themself and that's why they went into the field to begin with...to understand their own problems.

Now, that's not true of me. I went into clinical psychology in order to understand my whacko family. :thumbup:

LOL! Thanks for the chuckle....

Hey, been there, paid for that! I totally get what you are saying.

As a survivor of abuse during my childhood, that I have successfully put in my past, forgave those involved directly and indirectly I was incensed that the "doctor" that I had a session with told me that I did not have to "forgive" anyone.. and that by doing so I have shown a "pervasive need to be a victim and a side effect of a depressive disorder" What??? Yes, I have been depressed in my life, but I lost a child, what person would not be depressed for a time after that kind of loss. (Which was years ago, and I have a peace about that) I am human and I am supposed to feel terrible about the loss of a child?! AND the forgiveness is not/was not necessarily for the person/s who abused me. It gave me the power to walk away from a defining moment in my life by using it for good and not the evil that was intended. And I have peace about it, the abuse does not define me at all.

So after reading some other posts about my psych eval I realized that there are some real quack shrinks out there that are not in it to care for patients, rather to make a quick buck out of a person. Some are good, others are not. Get a second opinion.

Sorry for venting here, just struck a nerve!:thumbup:

I had an appointment with my bariatric surgeon thinkiing it was to set a date for surgery only to learn that the psych doc had flagged me for a closer look.

I had eating disorders 20+ years ago, HAD being the key word, which I discussed openly and honestly with the psych doc. I used the wrong term for over-eating, pigging out, gobbling down too much food, which is, let's face it the reason most of us are over-weight and candidates for this surgery. I used the word binge.

I KNOW the difference between bulimia binging and over-eating. But the psych focused in on the word binge. I can't blame him, he doesn't know me and he has to put his professional opinion on-the-line from a one hour discussion.

As for the tests, they ARE transparent for most people who have a little savvy. If we want to cheat the test, we can.

All in all, I can see how this process can be looked at as a way to help protect the surgeon. We do live in a litigious society and I can't say that I blame the surgeon for wanting that extra bit of protection either.

The psych exam really does suck. In my opinion you need to tell them what they want to hear. Don't lay it all out there (I know others disagree)

I do believe that people have issues; but, we can deal with a psychologist after our surgery to work them out.

If you have an issue you know you are going to have to do it; but, at least it can be with a psychologist of your choice and still be losing weight at the same time.

Just my opinion!!. It seems like if you go to the surgeon recommended psychologist they seem to pass you so that the surgeon can get his money. (Not always, not often)

Wow...this is really strange to read. I'm so sorry some of you have had such annoying and time-consuming psych experiences. I went to my psych evaluation the same night I had my initial bariatric doc appointment; he was through my HMO and not my doc.

Anyhoo, I showed up and filled out a brief form about my life in general, he asked me some questions and in less than 10 minutes I was outta there. I asked..."Is that it?" and this is a direct quote, "We don't like to mess with people who would be just fine if we left them alone". I LOVED this guy! He noted my Zoloft use for post-partum depression briefly and said it sounded like I had dealt with it fine. To be noted: I was able to answer no to all medical issues except mild depression, my parents are still together, I have great relationship with my husband, and we don't have any history of any illnesses, mental or otherwise. But heck, I'm still overweight, so there must be something, right?:tongue_smilie:

He wrote up a one page eval and faxed it to my surgeon's office in a couple of days.

Maybe you just need to just keep trying to find a psych with a sense of humor. Apparently, not many have one.