Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure what to expect

hey everyone!! I joined the site because i just started the surgery process and have no one to talk to about it. my mother went thru gastric bypass about 7 years ago. im only 21 so i dont have any friends to really talk to about this and i have no friends who understand what im going thru. im not sure what to expect with all of this. hoping to have my surgery my august and i have my first intro class next week. so any advice or anything that you could give me would be much appriciated

We will be happy to help you. Anytime you have a question someone on this site will have an answer for you. Maybe there is a support group at your Dr office that you can join if you want support in person. Or if you look through the forums there is also an age specific forum for young people. If you post there you will get more responses from people that are your age. Good luck and I hope you sail through the pre-surgery process.

Hi.

Im new to this too. And definately not sure of what to expect. Thats the good thing about these forums. We can talk to people who have been there.

At home I am surrounded by skinny people who have no idea how hard the struggle of weight loss is.

Well get through this together. :-) Maybe there is a support group where you are. I know Im hoping to join the one in my city.

:cursing:

hi, well the good thing is you've made your decision....do you already know who your doctor will be? are you planning to go to mexico? are you already on a diet? please feel free to write, and we can be e-buddies. :cursing:

I will have my surgery with Dr. Taddeducci in Nebraska. I havent met with him yet but have started the process. I have spoke with people who do know him and they love him. I will have surgery right here Nebraska. Im not currently on a diet. I have been on so many that its crazy. But Im ready for this journey. For this way of life. Because I want to live. I want to be there for my kids and grandkids. So I gotta change and it will have to be drastic. But I think with support it can be done. Id love to be ebuddies>

Welcome allison and Mishay! This site has been my backbone through this whole process. Feel free to ask any questions and keep us updated on your progress. I love my band although I'm just getting restriction now (was banded Dec. 16th). It hasn't always been easy and it's work but the payoff is tremendous!!!

I too am a nervous wreck but I also know that I've tried EVERYTHING and still my weight climbs and when I see my Dr I find that I'm taking a little more insulin each time! I finally said enough is enough and last year made the call. At first I thought I was a failure taking this route but I now know that failure would be to do nothing! So here I am going to see my surgeon next Tues and hoping I'll have a date to start my new healthy life!

Ada

Surgeon Dr P Domkowski in Sebastian Florida

:lol:Thanks everyone! I couldnt even sleep in this morning. I was too excited to get online and learn more. Crazy I know!

Im just excited about finally making the decision. Even though I know the road ahead will be a long one. At least thats what it seems. But I didnt get like this overnite so I can do it.

Other than the Lap Band being safer, as far as it can be reversed. Why did everyone choose LapBand over RNY? or something else? Just curious.

Did anyone have a PCP that was against it?

Thanks everyone!

I was low BMI @ 34 so I wasn't really a candidate for GB, and I wasn't to big on the idea of cutting away most of my stomach with the sleeve. So I went with lap band. I had failed at so many diets that I thought well if this doesn't work at least I can take it out. But it is working beautifully. I did tell my husband last week that if anything ever happened and I had to take out my band and it couldn't be replaced, I would get a sleeve. I never and I mean NEVER want to go back to having my full stomach that was always screaming "I"M HUNGRY". I'm glad to see that you are interested in doing research to know what to expect. It will really help you be successful.

I just can't imagine having myself cut up like that. It was a big decision just to get the band...which is reversible. Also the band is adjustable. I go to support group meetings and there are GB patients there. We banders all talk about our adjustments. Once the GB is done it's done and what happens is up to the patients. I don't know that much about it but to me it just sounds intense. They do lose weight faster but studies have found that over time in comparing Lap Band and GB patients they both even out and lose the same.

Welcome!! I've been really happy with my band and am about 17 months out and 3.4 pounds from goal! I definitely recommend checking out bandster blogs to get a sense of what it's like to be banded. There is a link to mine below, and I also have links to a lot of very good blogs posted on mine.

Hope that helps! Best wishes for your success! :w00t:

Catherine