Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Slipped:(

I got banded in July 2009. It's a Realize C band and holds 11cc's of Fluid. Got 5cc's at my first fill and 2 more at my second fill. After that I had a really hard time getting food down. Began throwing up almost everyday. When I went back and told my doctor, HE FILLED ME AGAIN WITH ANOTHER .5cc's! I didn't realize what was going on at the time but I was so tight as it was! He never used flouro during my fills. That was a couple of weeks ago. Last week I got a horrible stomach flu & could not stop vomiting. I couldn't even get a sip of Water down or a crushed pill. Once the flu was gone, I continued to vomit. I finally found a new bariatric doctor unfill my band a little. She used flouro and discoverd that my band had slipped. I had 100% blockage. She's not sure if it slipped before I got sick because it was too tight or if all of the vomiting caused it. Nonetheless, the vomiting blew out an additional "pouch" and that was where everything was going until I purged it. She had to take all of the fluid out of my band (which ended up being 8cc's) & told me to come back in a month to see if it heals. I am terrified of having to have surgery & losing my band. Not only is that disappointing because of the affect it will have on my weight loss, but I am still paying off that surgery. I don't have any insurance & have no idea how much another surgery will cost. Does anyone have any encouraging stories out there? Has this happened to anyone & it repaired itself? I really appreciate your encouraging words!

I have had ups and downs with my band (lapband), and in December of last year a slip. My doctor removed all of my Fluid for 6 weeks. I had an upper GI series at 6 weeks, and luckily it got back into place on its own. I have now had 2 fills since then, and have lost 15 pounds.

I can not thank you enough for your encouraging story. I know that every situation is different but I just really needed to hear a successful story to give me some hope. I'm really going to trust that God is going to heal me and I will have a great report to give next month! Thank you again & I pray that all goes well for you in your weight loss journey!

I know the frustration you are experiencing. However, you have to believe things will work out no matter how it looks.

I too was just told my band slipped, i couldnt get Water down and was losing weight fast. i had 3 unfills in the last week and was still having terrible reflux so they did a fluro today and found the slip, i go back tues and I guess discuss options of surgery or not, good luck to you, I know what u r going thru.

Thanks for sharing your story. I rarely post, but read these a lot. I was banded in Jan 2009. I too paid 100% out of pocket and don't know how I could afford another surgery. In October I was told my pouch was dilated. I was told to do 2 weeks of full liquids and come back a month later. I followed all their instructions to the letter. I went back as instructed, same story, so they removed some of the fill. I had the same fill for quite awhile since it was working for me and I was losing weight. I was told to do liquids again for 2 weeks, I did - again following ALL the rules, even through the holidays! I was actually able to talk to my surgeon about it and he was calling it a little slip and did not seemed concerned at all about it. I went back in January for another fluoro follow up and my pouch was huge - I had been following all the rules. I cried and cried and I don't know what to do. I asked and asked, but was told this would "only be fixed if you can't keep off the weight" I am scared that this is dangerous and how can I afford a fix? I moved out of state from TX to WA, so have been trying to find a surgeon and also someone to do and upper GI - almost there, March 30th is my appointment with a new surgeon, but I do have to pay aroun $400 out of pocket just to see him. I am working with my GP to get my EGD scheduled for early April when my new insurance kicks in. I cry a lot over this because I have done everything by the book and yet the surgeon's office staff acts like I caused this or am overeating despite the fact I've continued to lose weight throughout the entire time I've been banded. I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to do or anything. On a good note - I registered for my first 1/2 marathon that is on June 26th.

I pray all the time for healing, comfort, peace and guidance.

I hope I can get some soon, for my emotional state. Sorry for the long post, this has been building since October.

All that I can say is that prayer works! I went back to the dr. last week & my slip was completely healed! She was able to put 5cc's back in my band! I will keep you in my prayers. Hang in there. You will get through this!

I'm so glad to hear that the band,can go back in place I went to doc today my band slipped.. he took out 2cc and wait for 2wks I'm praying to that this works.any idea what the % of it not going back in place is. I'm so worried thanks

kldill thank you can u tell me about how long it took and what did u eat while u waited for it to go back in place. i'm to scared to eat but a lil hungry. and are u now able to get fills?

My doctor took out all of the Fluid for 6 weeks. I was able to eat regular foods. I actually ate foods we are supposed to eat, fish, chicken, vegetables. I did my best not to over eat, and I only gained 3lbs while empty. He didn't give me restrictions like only liquids. After the 6 weeks, had another upper GI series, everything was okay, then he put fluid in, and is increasing fills gradually.

wow thats great i'm so happy for you. every thing worked out i'm praying that happys for me to. I go back on the 20th it seem so long away.I'm so scared of gaining weight I'v been doing protien shakes and mush this passes week but really getting hungry. thanks so much for helping me.

I too was just told my band slipped, i couldnt get Water down and was losing weight fast. i had 3 unfills in the last week and was still having terrible reflux so they did a fluro today and found the slip, i go back tues and I guess discuss options of surgery or not, good luck to you, I know what u r going thru.

I wish I was so lucky, this is my post above and after 3 days of the slip I had to have emergency surgery and have my band revised, 3 hr surgery, lots of scar tissue around the band, I could not eat or drink anything lost 15 lbs in a week. I am 4 weeks post op, just got a 2 cc fill and gained the 15 lbs back:scared2:..anyway they used the same band and just hiked it up and sewed it back in place, he called it an acute prolapse and said it was due to the weight loss and the band got loose and slipped, he said it was a pretty severe prolapse. good luck, sounds like u will be fine.....:thumbup:

Thanks for sharing your story. I rarely post, but read these a lot. I was banded in Jan 2009. I too paid 100% out of pocket and don't know how I could afford another surgery. In October I was told my pouch was dilated. I was told to do 2 weeks of full liquids and come back a month later. I followed all their instructions to the letter. I went back as instructed, same story, so they removed some of the fill. I had the same fill for quite awhile since it was working for me and I was losing weight. I was told to do liquids again for 2 weeks, I did - again following ALL the rules, even through the holidays! I was actually able to talk to my surgeon about it and he was calling it a little slip and did not seemed concerned at all about it. I went back in January for another fluoro follow up and my pouch was huge - I had been following all the rules. I cried and cried and I don't know what to do. I asked and asked, but was told this would "only be fixed if you can't keep off the weight" I am scared that this is dangerous and how can I afford a fix? I moved out of state from TX to WA, so have been trying to find a surgeon and also someone to do and upper GI - almost there, March 30th is my appointment with a new surgeon, but I do have to pay aroun $400 out of pocket just to see him. I am working with my GP to get my EGD scheduled for early April when my new insurance kicks in. I cry a lot over this because I have done everything by the book and yet the surgeon's office staff acts like I caused this or am overeating despite the fact I've continued to lose weight throughout the entire time I've been banded. I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to do or anything. On a good note - I registered for my first 1/2 marathon that is on June 26th.

I pray all the time for healing, comfort, peace and guidance.

I hope I can get some soon, for my emotional state. Sorry for the long post, this has been building since October.

good luck to u, I really feel for u, cause i too felt the same way when mine slipped, although, I dont know why he didn't deflate you, cause just about everyone Ive heard who had a slip was deflated for 6 weeks?:thumbup: