Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back from the grave

Hey everyone,

It's been a long time since I participated in this forum. As many of you know I was banded back in August, and up until recently I hadn't lost any weight. Part of this was complete lack of effort on my behalf (eating candy and fast food etc..) but also I wasn't experiencing any restriction. For me it is really hard to see my surgeon for fills because it is a two hour drive and he only does fills on Mondays, so it has taken me this long to finally have some restriction.

Now that I finally am experiencing some restriction I have begun to lose weight. Hopefully I will continue to do so and I will have a success story like the rest of you on here!

Anyway, did anyone else not lose any weight before they felt restriction?

Hi Abby!

Nice to see you here. I was wondering how you were, you were so sweet and supportive before the surgery! I too have had very slow weight loss. I have lost about a total of 25 since Aug, and I too have not given it my best shot. I guess the thing that I was surprised at is that it actually takes effort! Something I have not been so good at in the past. I have not had good restriction because each time I have had a fill (I am up to 6 CCs in my 10 CC band) it feels TOO restricted and I can't even get down Water and they have to remove most of the fill. However, at this level I feel no restriction. Not sure how I will get to that spot, I will just keep trying. Hang in there, we just need to refocus!

Lisa

:thumbup:

Hi Abby,

I was going really well until Christmas and then the wheels just 'fell off'... I had lost about 45lbs, but since then I have regained about 9lbs.

I am off to see my surgeon today for the first time since November, part of me feels like I've failed him and myself, part of me feels like he failed me because he let go of my hand WAY too soon (seriously, 4 months since he last saw me? too long!)... either way, I know today's appointment will end in tears because if I'm not the same weight I was when I saw him last, I'm slightly heavier.

I too sunk back to the world of fast foods, sodas and lots of alcohol.. things I shouldn't be touching, and I'm really ashamed of myself.

All I can say is, we've just got to keep on trying - our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Hi Abby!

Nice to see you here. I was wondering how you were, you were so sweet and supportive before the surgery! I too have had very slow weight loss. I have lost about a total of 25 since Aug, and I too have not given it my best shot. I guess the thing that I was surprised at is that it actually takes effort! Something I have not been so good at in the past. I have not had good restriction because each time I have had a fill (I am up to 6 CCs in my 10 CC band) it feels TOO restricted and I can't even get down Water and they have to remove most of the fill. However, at this level I feel no restriction. Not sure how I will get to that spot, I will just keep trying. Hang in there, we just need to refocus!

Lisa

:confused:

Hey Lisa, I was just wondering how things were going with you? I too have the problem that my fills seems to be either too restrictive or not enough. Basically, when I get fills I get it so tight that I can just barely get down Water and after a week or two it loosens up and I can eat solids again. I am thinking that you should advance very slowly, like .25 ccs at a time. Because when you get a fill and it's too much, the pressure of trying to drink the water causes everything to swell, so when they take out saline they will end up taking out too much because you will have less restriction once the swelling goes down. Ahh, does this make sense? Anyway, I hope things are going better for you! Every morning I weigh myself, and 9 times out of 10 I'm sooo disappointed, but I love those days when the scale has made that tiny move in the right direction!

Hi Abby,

I was going really well until Christmas and then the wheels just 'fell off'... I had lost about 45lbs, but since then I have regained about 9lbs.

I am off to see my surgeon today for the first time since November, part of me feels like I've failed him and myself, part of me feels like he failed me because he let go of my hand WAY too soon (seriously, 4 months since he last saw me? too long!)... either way, I know today's appointment will end in tears because if I'm not the same weight I was when I saw him last, I'm slightly heavier.

I too sunk back to the world of fast foods, sodas and lots of alcohol.. things I shouldn't be touching, and I'm really ashamed of myself.

All I can say is, we've just got to keep on trying - our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

MissK! Don't beat yourself up. While you shouldn't be consuming empty calories and junk food, I personally believe that if your band is tight enough you will not gain weight... you might not lose it, but I think weight gain is a sign of a band that is too loose. If it had been 4 months since your last appointment, I would bet money that you were in need of another fill... you lose restriction as you lose weight! I hope things are better now and that you're back on track. I finally started losing weight and I am steadily, but also very slowly losing weight at about a pound a week.