Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know what to do....

It has taken a long time to decide this is what I need to do. I went to an informational siminar a month ago. From that I scheduled my consultation. That was today...

The dr's I have chosen will only operate up to a certain weight and bmi. I am over that by 50 pounds. Do I work my ass off over the next several months to loose the weight to get the band. I don't know if I can loose that much on my own. OR go to a different dr in the next state that will do it at my current weight.

Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jen~

Well, I would say that if going to another state is convenient, and by that I mean follow-up would be easy for you to do, then go for it. Otherwise, try to lose the weight in the meantime, as you will have to go on a pre-surgery diet anyway to shrink your liver... if you have been losing weight before the pre-surgery diet, then you may not have to be on the pre-surgery diet as long.

Good luck! And I hope you get banded soon!!!

How much do you weigh and have you talked to other surgeons?

That seems very strange to me. You mean they say you are too overweight to get banded? Are they trying to tell you to get gastric by-pass?

Once your BMI hits 50 the risks of anesthesia go up significantly, which is probably why many of the doctors may be refusing you. This doesn't really change if you opt for RNY or VSG, although they often have more specialized clinics for high BMI clients and may consider people with BMIs higher than 50, but it's a much higher risk and you will literally have to sign your life away.

Considering you can lose 30lbs without huge difficulty in a strict 3 week pre-op diet (and not necessarily an all liquid one), it really isn't that much of a stretch to get down 50lbs before the surgery. It sounds insurmountable, but it isn't.

I had to loose 35 lbs before being banded (our surgeons pick different amounts) and I did it in 5 months and got banded.

If you really want this, u can do it

Many doctors very appropriately require their patients to achieve a lower BMI before surgery. This reduces surgical risk DRAMATICALLY. It also allows them to assess the likelihood of postoperative success.

You will not be losing alone. You'll find hundreds of people here who are doing the same thing. You will also have your doctor and his resources at the ready.

I would NOT travel to someone willing to do it at an unsafe BMI. I'd rather get with the program and get the weight off. It's HARD but---and this is hard to hear, but important--no harder than the postoperative course. Because even then, you have to make good choices every.time.you.eat.

Now, I'm assuming your doctor is making this recommendation to benefit you in terms of safety. If, OTOH, you believe he's doing it to push another agenda, then I'd discuss it with him. Some doctors do have surgical preferences, and can try to influence patients toward their preference. I would expect that a doctor who's recommended RNY instead would still require preop loss to reduce risk. If not, I'd ask some questions, outline my reasons for preferring banding, and get another opinion.

But no--I would NOT travel just for the purpose of getting operated on sooner. First, I want the safest procedure possible (part of the reason I chose banding in the first place)--and secondly, do you REALLY want to travel for all of your (considerable) aftercare?

ETA: The insurance approval process involves hoop-jumping that often takes several months. Chances are that, if you commit to the loss, you will have achieved 50 pounds down by the time your approval comes through. This does not necessarily mean adding even ONE more day to your preoperative wait.

Edited by BetsyB

Betsy's right--check with your insurance company to see what their requirements are too. Even though I'd been trying to lose for YEARS, they had me go to a nutritionist once a month for six months, who weighed me and all it proved was that I couldn't lose it on my own. (AND it's actually only five months, because it was "six visits").

Initially that six months seemed like an eternity to me--but the time went quickly and I utilized the time to study on the Internet and here in this forum to learn exactly what my new life would be like.

And this is a permanent change to your life, so it requires a lot of thought too--so I would go with the doctor that you absolutely trust with your life and begin the process. I'm sure you will lose the 50 pounds before surgery is scheduled. I know that right now that seems like an impossible task, but once that ball starts rolling, it's unbelievable how quickly your body will change.

Congratulations on your decision for a new life! :confused:

I was in the same boat. My BMI is close to 70, and my Dr. told me I am borderline for being too large, but he has done quite a few 500+ people, and is very experienced with that. Every Dr. will have different rules.

What I am learning through my pre-op diet which is 3 weeks, I have to do it either way. Even with the band on I am going to have to not eat ice cream, and change my eating habits. Look at it as a positive experience. If you can lose 50 before the surgery, its less you will have to do after, and its a good start on the right mind set.

I'm in the same boat. My BMI was 58 and my doctor said they usually like to do the band on people of less than 50 BMI. She was willing to do it if I lost 30 lbs, putting me at around 54 BMI. I will still have to do two weeks liquid diet before surgery as well.

If you choose to lose the weight, hang in there. I know it's hard. I have 20 more to go and it's been tough. Walk, walk, walk. I have also started drinking Protein shakes in the morning for Breakfast, yogurt as a snack, and trying to decrease the amount of food I used to eat. I also try to drink lots of Water. :confused: