Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid to eat real food again

I was banded 2 weeks ago and I am allowed to go back to real food (pureed then soft, etc) but I am fearful. I got hungry about a week post-op so I have tried a few bites of things, but I am afraid to go back to real foods since I couldn't stop eating them before, why go back when the Protein Drinks and all seem to work? On my pre-op diet, I had 2 Protein drinks then a meat and veggies. It worked out great with my busy schedule, I lost weight and I didn't get really hungry between times or if I did, I would have a small protein or veggies. I got all my Vitamins and nutrients, lost weight and it worked, so why can't I just do that again post-op? I was told no more protein drinks after week 4. Help! I am afraid I will eat bad stuff again and need the easy route of drinks!

I was afraid to eat also. I made chicken salad and egg salad both pureed. It helped go from liquid and mushies to solid.

Now I still have chicken salad and egg salad but I cut the pieces up so that the full feeling lasts longer.

You have to go the regular food eventually.

I'm afraid too but I'm also starving for some real foods!! eggs are a life saver for me at this stage. I'm in the pureed to mushy phase. I can't wait to eat salad. I'm craving salad! How weird is it to crave "diet" food!

I’m craving salad too! I am about a week and a half out from being banded. One good thing to think about when you go back to solid foods (because you will need to) is that you can’t eat that much. I feel restriction even tho I have no fill and so it prevents me from eating much of anything anyway. So do your best and if you fall off the wagon just get back on right away. This is just a tool you still have to change your lifestyle! I wish you all the success in the world!

Edited by holliellen190

when the band is doing its job, you will be limited portion size. Proteing drinks for me are just sliders. I don't care if I never drink another again. I like real food.< /p>

The diet you did pre-op should be fine if you take a Vitamin. My doctor said I should do at least 1 Protein Shake everyday, possible for life. This is what he tells everyone. I think this diet would be plenty suffient untill you are comfortable going back to "real" food.< /p>

The point of the band is to reduce your portion size. If you just stick to Protein drinks you are defeating the reason you got the band to begin with.

Just introduce real food slowly back into your diet. Surely, you want to be able to enjoy a meal with friends and family and not drink a Protein Drink while everyone else is having something yummy.

Just my thoughts. Do what ever works for you, but I was so excited to be able to eat real food again there is no way I would consider staying on Protein drinks...In fact, I have over $100 worth of protein in my pantry that I am not sure I can finish in my lifetime!!

I understand your fears.

But really, if you're able to stick with the liquid Protein diet, you're more than capable of being compliant with the mushy/solid postop diet.

I think you'll probably find that advancing your diet as recommended by your doctor will prove more satisfying than drinking Protein.< /p>

That said, I still use Protein shakes. I eat solid food, as well, but like the bolus of protein I get from a shake--it makes me feel better physically. So, I have a shake in the morning.

"Real" food, however, has far better staying power. Not at first, though--if you don't have restriction, then you will, indeed be hungry. But then, Protein Shakes have the same drawback.

It's scary to make the transition without restriction---but the whole point of this surgery is to form a different relationship with food. And there's no time like the present to begin to form that relationship.

I was banded 2 weeks ago and I am allowed to go back to real food (pureed then soft, etc) but I am fearful. I got hungry about a week post-op so I have tried a few bites of things, but I am afraid to go back to real foods since I couldn't stop eating them before, why go back when the Protein drinks and all seem to work? On my pre-op diet, I had 2 Protein drinks then a meat and veggies. It worked out great with my busy schedule, I lost weight and I didn't get really hungry between times or if I did, I would have a small protein or veggies. I got all my Vitamins and nutrients, lost weight and it worked, so why can't I just do that again post-op? I was told no more protein drinks after week 4. Help! I am afraid I will eat bad stuff again and need the easy route of drinks!

Everyone is fearful of moving to the next step. The point is this is a learning process. And you will learn different things along your journey. Like what you can and can not eat. I am almost 4 months out and still take the protein supplements. 1 to 2 times a day. It all depends how my mood is that day. If I feel myself more hungry then I tend to have 2 drinks. Sometimes I may even have 3 drinks. There is no reason why you have to eliminate them. But you do have to try different foods. If you don't you will get bored of what you are consuming and go on a binge eating down the line. Don't be afraid of food. Don't let food control you. You control the food. Yes it's easier said then done, but we all need to over come those fears in order to be successful in our journeys. Our moto in our support group is 'Everything in moderation.' Remember this is a lifestyle change, not a give up living your life changing experience. I tend to eat alot of chicken and fish myself. The red meat doesn't agree with me. To be honest with you everytime I get a fill I am fearful of what I can and can not eat, but I know that I have to try different things. Good luck to you and I hope it works out. Your doing great. :angry:

Edited by Astrasmom

There is some will power involved in moving to real foods. Your swelling is gone from the surgery and now you have no restriction. This time period can be very difficult for many people. I had a really hard time with it. I had to do everything in my power not to gain any weight back. You will be hungry until you get enough fills to have restriction. That being said, you will get more satisfaction out of real food and more variety. It will get you used to what portions are acceptable. You can still do your Protein Shakes for Snacks. Just watch your calories very closely. I understand your fears but you must move on to food eventually. Why not start practicing now. Best wishes!!!

Like I said earlier in this thread, I still do 2 or 3 Protein Shakes a day, 2 of them are 4 oz and one is 16 oz. There are some great flavors out there, and if you get a little creative they are even better. My favorite at this time is Summer Melon mixed with sugar free Watermelon/Kiwi Koolaid. I purchase the Summer Melon at Bariatric Eating. That is my afternoon drink, it is a mixture of flavors of Watermelon, HoneyDew and Cantalope.

I also have 2 mocha latte's a day just a simple scoop of vanilla powder, or sometimes chocolate, a mazel coffee packet and 4 oz Water, sometimes I will add a shot of sugar free caramel Syrup.

I have an Atkins shake when I wake up in the morning, and then the others are if I get to want a snack during the day, I bypass the Snacks and grab the Protein, sometimes I will grab a cheese stick, or a babybell round but normally a drink.

It's very hard to get the amount of Protein you need from real food with out overeating. That is the advantage of a Protein Shake. I do mine in the morning, 29 grms protein and only about 275 caleries. I mix mine with skim milk and use alittle more milk then the 8 ounces, usually about 10 12 ounces of milk. Works for me!!

It's very hard to get the amount of Protein you need from real food with out overeating. That is the advantage of a Protein Shake. I do mine in the morning, 29 grms protein and only about 275 caleries. I mix mine with skim milk and use alittle more milk then the 8 ounces, usually about 10 12 ounces of milk. Works for me!!

You make a very interesting point. I might add a protein shake in exchange for one meal.