Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you miss eating?

I would say yes and no!!!

This morning eating Breakfast with my friends I loved the lapband b/c I could barely eat 1/2 of what I would normally eat. I ate slow and enjoyed my food and conversation and the meal lasted longer than it would have preband. I got to enjoy it just as much b/c the band forces me to eat slower and therefore my meal lasts longer.

However, last night after a concert w/ the same group of friends we decided we needed a late night snack. I guess I wasn't paying attention to what I was eating and something got stuck. This is the first time I experienced this and it was aweful...not to mention being out and not in the comfort of your own home. I had to excuse myself and when I came back to the table, I really wanted to eat more but I couldn't...I wasn't hungry but I really wanted another french fry!! If I had slowed down when I first started eating, I could have enjoyed myself and only had a few bites. It is definitely a new way of life that I have to get adjusted to, but I LOVE IT!

I love the fact that I am able to go out to dinner with my friends and eat small portions and be FULL. Normally after a weekend like I just had, I would have stepped on the scale and been up 3-4 lbs. This morning I was at status quo. It is awesome...just takes a little while to learn the new lifestyle.

I miss the big meals. I was banned 7/14 down from 263 to 196 I feel great. So with this new feeling nothing taste better than being thin feels.:smile:

Edited by wonderwoman2009

My brain always says "you'd really like to finish eating that" and my band says "are you nuts".

So true!!!!

When we go out to eat, I now order a to go box when I order my meal. Depending on where we go, I may order a kids meal. Beef O'Brady's where we really frequent, I order the kids grilled chicken wrap, just chicken and cheese, and hold the wrap. sometimes I order the chicken ceasar wrap, hold the wrap. I get cottage cheese as the side, and I am done. If it is a day that I am hungry, and in the mood, I order the chicken nachos I specify only 6 chips. And I ask them to put everything seperate, not on top of the chips. I eat the chicken first, dipping it in the queso and shredded cheese. If I am still hungry when I am done with the chicken I have the lettuce and Tomato with the queso as the dressing. That is when I eat the chips, if I eat them.

I do not miss food so much, as I still eat, I just eat sensibly now. I know that french fries are a thing of the past. As soon as I eat one my meal is immediately over. I loved smothered cheese fries with bacon and ranch, no more. give me the cheese and bacon on my salad.

I am always the last one finished eating now, but I don't get stuck either.

Hi, my name is Heather and I'm a food addict.......

I have learned slowly that I REALLY needed to change my food obsessions. I always looked at my plate, sanwich or whatever and planned how I was going to eat it. For example: A Peanut Butter & jelly sandwich: I would eat all of the crust first and then eat the middle. Save the best bite for last. That is just the way I have always done it. No matter what I was eating. Well, nothing makes me mad more than still doing this but finding that I can't eat my best bites because I'm full already! No, I really can't tolerate bread or potatoes and my diet has changed for good but it takes full awareness while I'm eating to not "save the best for last"!

Here's to taking the best bite FIRST!!! :angry:

I don't miss food at all. I'm actually kind of tired of food at this point, I guess because at the beginning of my band journey I obsessed so much over what to eat and not to eat. It drove me insane especially when I wasn't losing like I thought I should. Now, I'm kind of like, eh, whatever! All the things I used to love, I just don't care anymore.

I really realized this Saturday we went to Red Lobster for my brother's birthday. I LOVE Cheddar Bay Biscuits, could eat 5 no problem pre-band. But this time, I ate one, and it was just ok. I wasn't like ooooohhh, I want to eat another one soooo bad! I just ate the one and waited for my salad. Ate a few bites and then ate a piece of fish and was totally satisfied, not full, but satisfied. Because I've only had one fill, I could have ate more, I just didn't want it.

Now my drinks are my new obsession. Which may get me in trouble because I found that the past couple of days I have been taking in so much Fluid, that when I'm supposed to eat, I'm full and I know you aren't supposed to get your daily calories too low. But I LOVE Crystal Light and VitaminWater10. LOVE LOVE LOVE that stuff. I don't see how I ever liked Pepsi, Coke, milk shakes and all that other junk, lol!

Anticipation and mind games is the only way I have been surviving. If I go out, I find a menu if I do not know the place well and know what I am going to eat and/or tell them how I need it cooked to fit me needs by the time I sit. I have also had to steer my friends not to have food as the center of our social circle--everything we do cannot happen in front of a plate!:angry: Finally, I have find other activities to take the place of food. When I am bored, instead of eating, I may search for healthy recipes, I like to travel so surf on places I like to go. I try to anticipate crazy schedules or when it may be a rough day emotionally (of course they just happen)--I try to plan something or change my eating schedule so that I will be eating one of my normal meals during the rough or boring times. I struggle, but to paraphrase Frederick Douglas, there is no progress without struggle...:hurray:

Yes. Yesterday was the first time I really realized how much, but its all gravy to me. My BF took me and my son out for Chinese food for Valentine's dinner and I ordered the shrimp with pea pods, normally I can clear 2/3rd of the the plate, last night I think I had like 6 bites and I couldn't eat anymore. It was a bitter sweet moment because I've found restriction and because I really wanted to eat more!! But I stopped. The psychological aspect of it is sloooooooowly coming around for me. It's hard, really hard because I still think I can eat alot, but I've been trying to listen to my stomach rather than my head and stopping when Im full.

I don't miss eating because I still do it every single day... I just make sure to have a much smaller portion... And If I'm not careful, it comes back up which is a quick reminder... ohhh and I had a zero pound loss this week becasue I have been indulging in a couple of peices of fudge every day since Thursday.. It was my TOM so I was craving chocolate and I made the fudge for my BF for Valentines day... Today, is the start of a new day and a new week... I am back on track...

I think it's probably quite normal to grieve a former relationship--even it it's with food.

But no, I don't miss eating. I still eat. I choose to eat differently--but it's definitely MY choice.

And that makes it okay :)

Hello, I was banded three months ago. On Feb. 5th I got my 3rd fill. I now understand the "sweet spot" term everyone talks about. For the first 3 months, I could still eat whatever I wanted, and felt that the band was going to be just as hard to deal with as any other diet I've tried. Now that I have real restriction, I have a different relationship with food. I went camping this weekend, and everyone was snacking and eating all around me. I was very cautious about what I ate, because if I eat too fast or big bites, the band reminds me that I've reached my limit. If I eat too much, the pain is really uncomfortable. So, I don't want food as much as I don't want that painful feeling in my chest. Honeslty, even though I've eaten such a small amount (protein first), I feel full for hours after. I love the band now and so glad that I didn't give up and went back for those fills. Good luck on your weight loss. I used to have a huge appetite. Not any longer :))

Yes, sometimes I miss being able to eat a couple of pieces of pizza or some of my old favorites. Mostly though I am so damn happy I have my band, and that part of me seems to just be a memory!