Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you make Refried Beans?

Might sound like a dumb question but I have no idea.

I am not a bean eater, other than maybe a can of pork and Beans with a hot dog in the summer, and I do always eat the beans they have at the Mexico pavillion in Epcot at Disney World. They use black beans and I think they just reheat them but they are tasty.

I need Protein and my Dr recommended this.

I read quite a few people eat them here but they never told how they make them.

I would want to use canned beans since I don't have the patience to cook them from scrath.

But they have to be tasty, as I said before, I don't eat beans often.

I did a search and almost every recipe says pinto beans, soak in Water overnight, etc... I want fast.

I just buy a can of fat free refried Beans (mexican aisle in the grocery store). I microwave, add cheese, and enchilada sauce (or salsa). Sometimes I eat with light sour cream ....very good and easy!!

If i want fast refried Beans i too buy the can of fat free refried beans from the store and heat them up with some shredded cheese then i like to cut up avocado and tomatoes into them. MMmmmm they are so good that way and you also get all kinds of nutrients from the extra stuff put in them but if you just want plain refried beans and want them fast just get the cans of refried beans and add some seasonings in them or buy the pre seasoned ones and they taste good like that too. I still think the best way is to buy dry pinto beans and fast boil them which is put them into a pot and boil them for about 15-30 minutes but make sure you STIR them frequently then after that throw them in a crock pot and let em slow cook until nice an tender which is usually quite a few hours or if you have the time all day. You can add seasoning while slow cooking or after you take them out of the crock pot. This way is slower but you could make them like this while you aren't hungry and you will have a good supply made for later.

You can also buy a can of black Beans (I like Bush's) and mush them up yourself. I add alittle hot sauce, diced onion, tomatoes and little bit of white cheese (mozzarella, provolone, munster...) Yummie!

mickey, your tag made me smile. Just got back from visiting the mouse!

I use the can, too. I can't eat cheese, so I just pile salsa on top. Cheap and easy.

ok so here is a quick simple receipe to doll up some caned Beans. Chop up some onions and garlic fry that up in some olive oil add your can of refied beans and presto yummy refried beans

It is funny that you ask this question now.

They toured the B&M factory in Portland, Maine on the History Channel's food Tech last night. The showed how they make and can Ortega refried Beans.< /p>

But you don't need to do a few hundred thousand servings at a time, so try the link below or Google, "refried beans recipe".

Refried Beans Recipe | Simply Recipes

Canned taste great but are loaded with sodium. Way more sodium than anyone should be consuming in one meal.

Edited by btrieger

I love refried Beans, they have always been one of my favorite things. I have a stupid question, though. Aren't refried beans considered a slider food if you are past the mushy stage, or are they still okay since they have a lot of fiber and Protein?

I think it is individual to you, as in your body's response to eating them. Does it keep you satisfied for at least 3 hours, then no, it isn't a slider. Sliders go right through the band and don't have any nutritional value..ice cream, chips, etc. For me, refried beans have enough substance and texture that they don't really slide right through, I can feel them sitting in the pouch.

I like Taco Time or Taco Belle cheesy pinto Beans. That way I control the amount --if I cooked a pot I'd want to eat them all. And I can't have cheese in the house. For me this is more a treat than a regular meal.

Thanks everyone. I know it sounded dumb, but I thought there might be some "different" way to cook them.

I had the Taco Bell Beans and cheese yesterday and they were so good. and only $.99. I have to look up the calorie and Protein and see if they would work as a quick food.< /p>

Tonight I heated a can of refried and put chili seasoning in them then some cheese on top and then salsa. Was good straight up and my son had them with chips. They were filling but I think I like the solid beans better than the mushy stuff.

Might follow one of the recipes and try my own from scrath since I do like them and never really liked beans.

i buy fat free refried Beans (rosarita) & heat them up. add some shredded cheese, some 505 salsa, & a little light sour cream. yum! for 1/2 cup its only 173 cal total.

& keeps ya full

FYI, 1 order of taco bells pintos and cheese has 180 calories, 7 grams of fat, 6 grams of fiber, and 10 grams of Protein. Hope this helps.

I love refried Beans and will use the recipe Btri showed us to make up a fresh batch. I'm in the pureed/mushie stage so they are awesome in terms of protein/fat.