Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abdominoplasty @ 300lbs

I went to a my doctor today for a routine fill and he began feelin around my hips and upper thighs. He said, "I can feel your bone". He said that he thinks I'm ready for abdominoplasty. I was like (because I couldn't beleive what I was hearing) "how much more weight do you think I need to lose?". He said, I think you're ready now. At the most maybe another 20 lbs, but I really think you're ready now. I was shocked. I was banded a year ago (2/13/09) and have only lost just over 65lbs (I was hoping to have lost closer to 100). Does this sound right? A abdominoplasty at 300 lbs? Really? Has anyone ever heard of this? I would think it would look weird. I have another 100+ lbs to lose - would I need another then? My mother who is a nurse said she once observed an abdominoplasty of someone who was far hevier than I where they removed 60+ lbs of skin and fat from her stomach. The prospect is exciting but 'm confused. I thought I would need to be near or at my goal weight. Please let me know what you all think.

It could be done now, but the closer you are to goal, the happier you will be with the end result. If you have it now and then lose another 80 lbs, it may look like you need another one. It would be better to wait until you get a little closer to goal. BUT, congrats on feeling the bones...isn't it cool?

I must say I was surprised at your post, but maybe, ifyou were very large inthe past, I mean bigger than when you were banded, then maybe some of the 300 lb bulk may be extraneous loose/connective tissue and skin which won't pull bck naturally as you loose weight. So maybe, if this is the case, you need to have this extra tissue removed in order to be able to mobilise well enough to lose any extra fat mass. Just a guess, mind.....

Thanks for your responses.

I'm still in shock but have spent the last week really trying to research this. I have my consultation on next wednesday (a week an half from now). Probably then all my questions and concerns will be answered.

Ohm, I was banded at my largest weight - so all my extra skin is due to the 71lbs I've lost since being banded a year ago. I've been really looking a lot at my body since this revelation. I've really noticed that a lot of my weight is in fact in my belly. I'm tall so I've always held weight realy well. More very curvy - but my lower belly is really the problem area. As I've lost weight - even before talk of the Tummy Tuck - I had really reveled at the fact that just under my breasts I had really gain some definition and shape - there is hip bone there. I'm actually quite lucky in the way my body is shaped from looking at all the abdominoplasty photos. I have a fairly smooth physique in the stomach, waist, and hips areas until it comes to the pannus - that's really the problem areas.

As I've looked through pics of abdominoplasties I've seen some shapes similiar to mine - I don't think they are quite as big, but comparable.

Either way this goes - if he tells me that I have to lose another 20 or even 50 lbs at my consultation before I can have it done that's still exciting. That means perhaps in the next 6 months or so - I was thinking I'd have to lose ALL my weight before having this done which is another 100 lbs.

If with the tummy tuck they take 15-20 lbs of fat and skin that will also propel me towards my weight loss goal and losing that big flap will be a huge boost in my appearance. Yay - I can't help but be excited. I just hope I don't get dissapointed at this consultation.

Has ANYONE else out there had a similiar experience. To give this some relativity - I'm about 1/2 way to my goal weight. Any comments, suggestions, concerns, or questions I should ask my doc are welcomed. I realy love lapbandtalk. Thank you all in advance for your help. :)