Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost Band Doc Forgot to Remove Port

Thanks for all the good feedback. My husband has cleared his schedule and will be going with me on Wednesday. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Had my appointment with my doc yesterday. Boy did he have egg on his face! Very sorry and apologetic (as he should have been). I aked him why my surgery took so long and he said that he had never seen a band like mine. I had so much scar tissue that the scar tissue had pushed one side of my band all the way up to my esophagus. Apparently, he was so wrapped up in getting my band free, that he forgot about the port. I had my port removed today in his office. It took about 40 minutes, was not a pleasant experience, but wasn't that bad either. I'm glad to have it ALL out and soon will be back to my normal routine! What a pain in the .... The doc did not charge me, nor did he offer to compensate me in any way. I'm ok with that....

Karey - I am glad you got it out. How did the doctor remove it in the office? The port incision is usually the biggest one and not done laprascopically. Were you just given a local? I hope you still got a copy of your operative reports. You might need them in the future. But for now, you just need to heal and get better. Good luck.

Cleo'smom: I had the port removed with a local. It was a little uncomfortable, especially on one end of the incision that did not deaden very well. The incision was about 2 1/2 inches long and is healing very well. It is still quite tender, but I think that I'll be able to start some light exercise tommorrow. I didn't get the operative reports, but if anything else happens, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for them. I believe that legally they must give me a copy any time that I might request one.

Mimilou:The future? Well my band has been empty for quite awhile. I gained about 10 pounds when my band was unfilled. So, I started seeing a nutrionist that came highly recommended. I had already lost the 10 pounds that I gained and was feeling more confident that I could do this without the help of the band. The nutritionist that I'm working with has taught me to eat 50% protien, 50% complex carbs and 10% fat at EVERY meal. I eat 5-6 meals a day, with the majority of my calories before 3 pm. He has me choosing lo-glycemic foods and it really seems to keep my appetite in check, plus I've lost another 5 pounds. I exercise 5 times a week and am commited to staying healthy. Do I miss having restriction? Very much so!

Thank you Mimi. I appreciate it. A year and a half ago my band slipped and I had it replaced. I couldn't imagine getting along without it, but this time I have been living without it working for 6 months, so it gave me time to experiment and see if I could do it. I did consider having a gastric sleeve, but ultimately decided that at this point, I had learned what the band could teach me. Believe me, I second guess myself, but I think it's going to be alright.