Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost Band Doc Forgot to Remove Port

First let me say that I loved my lap band and lost 120 pounds with it. For the last 1 1/2 years, I have been nauseated off and on. My band slipped and I had it replaced and the replacement band has given me problems ever since. First I had a dilatation and had all the Fluid out of my band. The dilatation resolved and we began slowing refilling the band. Then my band prolapsed and all the fluid was again taken out, but the nausea just got worse, so 3 weeks ago, I made the difficult decision to have my band removed and not replaced. Now that the swelling has gone down in my tummy, I find that I still have my port! Doc forgot to remove the port. Now my doc was very kind and removed my band for free (still had to pay the hospital & anesethiogist). My doc is out of the country so I won't see him until next week. I'm angry that I'm going to have to have another (probably minor) procedure to have it removed! I realize that this is not a life threatening mistake, but give me a break! What would you do and what do you think about this situation?

I would have to question the expertise of the doctor. I'm guessing he put the second band in since he removed it for free?

Sorry for your difficulties.

Get a copy of the operative report for when the surgeon removed the band. Make an appt. with this surgeon when he returns and tell him you want the port removed at NO cost to you, including the hosptial and anesthesiologist's fee. And get it in writing. If not, then tell them you want ALL your records from all the procedures and you will be seeking legal advice.

Idiot Doctor. If he left the tube that attached to the Band from the port, that could create a big problem for you. You need to see him ,and DEMAND that he remove it. You should NOT have to pay anything out of your own pocket for this.

Get a copy of the operative report for when the surgeon removed the band. Make an appt. with this surgeon when he returns and tell him you want the port removed at NO cost to you, including the hosptial and anesthesiologist's fee. And get it in writing. If not, then tell them you want ALL your records from all the procedures and you will be seeking legal advice.

Ditto ... I agree with every word of this.

I agree also. How can you forget to remove the port??? It is attached to the tubing which is attached to the band! I like the legal advice also. Good luck to you, let us know how it turns out.

In my research I have come across articles that said that the port is left in place when the lapband is removed. If this was not accidental the surgeon should have explained it to you.

I'd give him a call and ask him before proceeding with any kind of legal advice.

Edited by btrieger
firefox changed my words

Please let us know what you find out. I do not understand why they would leave an object in your body that serves no purpose.

unless they simply forgot to remove it........

In my research I have come across articles that said that the port is left in place when the LAP-BAND® is removed. If this was not accidental the surgeon should have explained it to you.

I'd give him a call and ask him before proceeding with any kind of legal advice.

If you're getting a replacement band down the road it might make sense to leave it in, but she is not, so it should have come out with the band. Having that object inside you that serves no purpose is not a good idea.

If you're getting a replacement band down the road it might make sense to leave it in, but she is not, so it should have come out with the band. Having that object inside you that serves no purpose is not a good idea.

It all depends on why the band is being removed. If it is permanent, then there is NO reason to leave the port in. In fact, as someone above mentioned, leaving some parts of the port can cause damage down the road.

No, your Doctor made a mistake, unless there is something about this that you haven't made clear. He needs to remove the Port, all at HIS expense.

And if he gives you any flak over it, consider compaining to your state medical board. We do NOT need any more Doctors around that make mistakes like that.

I had an xray today, not at my doc's office, to see for myself what was going on, so when I see my surgeon next Wednesday, I would be in a position of power. The port is indeed there and there is a length of tubing as well. Looks like the tubing is about 5 inches long. I am not getting another lap band, not a good candidate. There is no reason that I know of to keep my port, nor did he mention that I still had one when we talked at the hospital the next morning. I know that my surgery took 3 hours. He told me it would take about 1 1/2 hours. Not sure what happened, but he told my husband that the band was out and the surgery was fine. I don't think I should pay a dime for the removal and I don't want it in my body. I am thankful that he removed it for free, but he still should have done it right! Just not looking forward to anymore pain! Thanks for everyone's input!

Edited by kareyquilts
typo

I have no plans to sue my doc unless he isn't willing to remove it at no cost to me or he doesn't want to remove it all. I don't want it to stay in. It's very tender over the port area and when I roll over on the port side in my sleep, then I wake up nauseated. The port needs to come out!

I wish you could tape the conversation. I'd love to hear his response verbatim.

Good luck and make sure to let us know how it goes.

I have no plans to sue my doc unless he isn't willing to remove it at no cost to me or he doesn't want to remove it all. I don't want it to stay in. It's very tender over the port area and when I roll over on the port side in my sleep, then I wake up nauseated. The port needs to come out!

Make sure you take someone with you to the appt. They can be your witness. Also, remember to get copies of your operative report. Removing this port should not cost you one cent. And I also would like to know why it took 3 hours to remove the band when it shouldn't take that long to place it, including the port.

The fact that the doctor removed the band for free makes me suspicious that he might have done something wrong with the original placement. Get a copy of THAT operative report, too.

You need to have copies of all your medical file. You will need it, because my guess is he will say he has no control over the hosptial fees or anesthesiologist fee. So, you will have to make you case either with the hospital or an attorney.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Something kind of "smells" here.....

You were VERY wise to have an independant x-ray. And, the the fact that there is a tube left on the port is very troubling. In some of the bands, the end of the tube that connects to the band has a bit of metal in it, and it can actually be kind of "rough" on the tip. I know of one Banded individual who had that loose tube dangling around inside of him for a while, and the rough end of the tube actually broke INSIDE of his colon, and created a lot of problems. So, his leaving that tube in was VERY irresponsible. And leaving the Port in by itself was just plain stupid.

Some one here made that suggestion that perhaps the band was installed incorrectly to begin with, and I would not disagree with that.

I am not a fan of many of these Weight Loss Surgeons. A lot of them are hacks who get into the business to make some quick insurance cash. I'm not saying that this is the case in this situation, but it looks a little strange, how this has turned out.

I will echo the other comments here by saying bring a witness, if possible RECORD what is said (even though it is not admissible in court and in some situations MAY be illegal in your state, but I would do it anyway just to have a personal record to refer to...), ask for ALL your medical records, and if possible, see ANOTHER surgeon to get an opinion on what might have happened. If the Band having to be removed was a result of incompetence on the part of your orginal surgeon, and if because of that you will be unable to host another band, you might have some recourse. And, I think you SHOULD do something if this is the case. The band Concept was working for you, and if you can no longer take advantage of the Benefits the Band gave you due to Surgeon error, then that would be grounds for some action. And, other people who use this surgeon NEED to know about this.

Please keep us posted.....it is events like this that everyone who had a Band or is thinking about getting one should be aware of.