Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm with those who treat food as it was meant to be treated. Bravo!!! I agree that we should not deprive ourselves of the things we love, or you have less chance for sucess. I also am a classic for Portion Control. That is totally my problem. I do make good food choices, just too much of it!!!

I'm glad you were able to "enjoy" your pizza. Yesterday pizza was sounding really good, but we had ribs instead. I should say everyone else had ribs, I made a pork shoulder Saturday in a crock pot and ate that instead, as the beef ribs we make, though tender, are very fatty and still tend to be a bit grisly.

I made a dessert for yesterday's festivities that allowed me to partake of it.

1 box low fat vanilla wafers

3/4 stick of butter

Crush wafers in food processor, add in melted butter, mix then pat into 9x13 inch pan, bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Let cool.

1 8 oz fat free cream cheese

1/2 cup Splenda

1 tsp vanilla

Mix and spread on top of crust.

1 box sugar free banana pudding

1-1/2 cups fat free milk

Mix and spread on top of cream cheese. Let set in fridge for about 20 minutes.

3 bananas - sliced thinly, layer on top of banana pudding

1 box sugar free chocoloate fudge pudding

1-1/2 cups fat free milk

1 8 oz contain extra creamy cool whip

Mix pudding and milk till dissolved, add cool whip. Spread over bananas. Let set in fridge for 20 minutes.

Top with dollops of cool whip (I used a cake decorating bag with tip) and chocolate curls (use a vegetable peeler on a large Hershey's bar), one per dollop of cool whip.

It was such a pretty dessert and really not bad for you at all. I cut it into 24 pieces.

OMG-- this sounded SO good yesterday that I went to the store on the way home from work, picked up the ingredients and made this last night. Can I say this is the most delicious dessert EVER?!? My husband and I are going to be battling over it because he had some last night and wanted to finish the rest of it LOL!

Just wanted to say thanks! I've added this to the collection of yummy recipes of things I'm allowed to eat!!! :cursing:

I think I'd be very careful about adopting a chew-and-spit habit; it's is a feature of a form of bulimia, and heading down that path might not be an approach you want to take. It might be a better idea, in the future, to find a good alternative---and actually eat a bit.

I think Betsy makes a very good point here, and I'm glad she did because it got me thinking. I truly believe that, in order to make the band work for life, we can't live in fear of food. Of course, we aren't like everyone else, but part of having the band, for me anyway, is changing my habits and getting to a place where my relationship with food is more like that of "normal" healthy people. 95% of the time eating nutritious foods, and allowing treats once in awhile without guilt and fear.

Again, I can only speak for myself, but I found it a good test of myself and my life changes by allowing an indulgence once in awhile and really seeing if I can eat a normal, band-sized portion of those "treat" foods. I can say from my own experience that, as a life-long food addict and compulsive overeater, I was terrified the first time I decided to venture beyond my very strict post-banding eating regimen--then completely surprised and thrilled to find that I could eat a small amount and be satisfied physically--and mentally.

Again, I can't say enough that I am only sharing my own thoughts/experience, not prescribing a system for anyone else--as we all know, what works for one person doesn't always work for the next. And I will say too that I didn't indulge in treat foods until several months after banding. But the idea of chewing and spitting out an entire meal's worth of food worries me a bit, and and almost seems like punishment--and you don't deserve that!

Val

I do want to chime in with something that my surgeon told me once about another of his patients. Of course, he didn't name names or anything like that (so no need to worry about HIPAA). But what he said was that one of his patients just loves steak, but due to her restriction, can no longer tolerate it. So what she does is cooks herself a steak, chews it to get the flavors, the juices, the experience, but then spits it out. And he is fine with this.

Now, should we do this all the time? No. If our band will allow something (such as pizza), then enjoy it on occasion. If the band won't allow it, then I'd say do as my doc's patient did above. Just make sure you do actually eat something other than the "crumbs" left in your mouth from the chew and spit.

As always, follow your doctor's advice (like my disclaimer?).

OMG-- this sounded SO good yesterday that I went to the store on the way home from work, picked up the ingredients and made this last night. Can I say this is the most delicious dessert EVER?!? My husband and I are going to be battling over it because he had some last night and wanted to finish the rest of it LOL!

Just wanted to say thanks! I've added this to the collection of yummy recipes of things I'm allowed to eat!!! :cursing:

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I seriously pulled this out of the air on Saturday when I was at the grocery store deciding what to make as a dessert for the super bowl. I've made similar Desserts (using different types of crusts like graham crackers or even pretzels), but decided that this combination of flavors sounded good. Who doesn't enjoy vanilla wafers with banana pudding? And bananas and chocolate seem to go hand in hand.

But what he said was that one of his patients just loves steak, but due to her restriction, can no longer tolerate it. So what she does is cooks herself a steak, chews it to get the flavors, the juices, the experience, but then spits it out. And he is fine with this.
He's a bariatric surgeon. What he does best is bariatric surgery. This is one thing for which I'd smile and nod, and do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he recommends.

Haven't you spent enough of your life in a disordered relationship with food?

He's a bariatric surgeon. What he does best is bariatric surgery. This is one thing for which I'd smile and nod, and do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he recommends.

Haven't you spent enough of your life in a disordered relationship with food?

Since he has the MD behind his name and I trust his opinion, I think I'll listen to him.

Unless you think I should follow the advice of the psychologist (who had the lapband) I went to who during our session was drinking a soda (which my surgeon advises against) and talked of his eating McDonalds quite often? I don't think so.

Also, not everyone who has the band has a "disordered relationship" with food.

Good luck with your journey! :cursing:

My son's birthday party this weekend and we served pizza. I ate about a 1x1 piece of it and it totally hit the spot.

i have a great "pizza" recipe that uses chicken as the crust. We love it.

Since he has the MD behind his name and I trust his opinion, I think I'll listen to him.

Unless you think I should follow the advice of the psychologist (who had the LAP-BAND®) I went to who during our session was drinking a soda (which my surgeon advises against) and talked of his eating McDonalds quite often? I don't think so.

Also, not everyone who has the band has a "disordered relationship" with food.< /p>

Good luck with your journey! :thumbup:

I feel like no matter how much we lie to ourselves, we are fat because we have a weird relationship with food. Either we hate if because our medications don't allow us to lose weight or we love it so much we don't know when to stop.

It is kind of sad that our bodies show our shortcomings so prevalently.