Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Fills Nightmare

This is a long story. I am not going to shorten it because it may help someone in the future.

I had lapband surgery on May 28, 2009. I only wanted to lose 40lbs. I thought I would have lost that and then some by now. I was a cash patient. My surgeon used a facility that granted me free fills for a year because I paid in cash. That was a great deal since my surgeon charges $150.00 per fill. I thought I would lose my weight in a year and maintain my weight loss through the surgeon's office after my free year was up. This is where the nightmare began unbeknowst to me.

At the time of my surgery my doctor gave me a fill of 2ccs. I have a 10cc Lapband. I had really good restriction for nearly 3 weeks after surgery. I went for the 1st fill at the surgical center in July. I was given 1cc. I did not feel any restriction. Over the course of 8 months I've had 7 fills for a total of 7.8ccs. Each time I went, I would get a numbing shot because the NP thought my port was flipped and she had a hard time finding it. I would be stuck a minimum of 8-10 times before she would find the port. On one visit I saw blood in the syringe. I thought that was odd, but did not press the issue. The last time I went for a fill was 1/18/10. I whined that I felt no restriction. I begged for more saline. She did not give me more. I decided it was time to call my surgeon.

I saw my surgeon on 1/25/10. I voiced my concerns. He listened and said he could help. I did not believe him. I asked for numbing medication before the fill, but the nurse said I would not need it. Just as I was about to protest, my doctor found my port with one stick. He withdrew the saline to determine how much was in the band and only withdrew 4ccs. All this time the NP was not filling my band. I was told I had 7.8ccs. My doctor filled me to 5.5ccs. In only a few minutes I realized I was too tight. I could not get Water down. The small amount that went down felt like a golf ball was exploding in my chest. My doctor removed .5ccs and I went home with a total of 5ccs. The next morning I was throwing up foamy matter. I could not get a sip of water to go down. I threw up all morning .I went back to my doctor that afternoon for a complete unfill.

Sometimes when bandsters post with concerns about not feeling restriction, not many, but some people can be really mean and judgemental. One person in particular posted that some of us obviously do not know how the band works. That was hurtful. It made me not want to post my concerns again, however, there were many posters who were sincerely concerned and gave great advice. Thanks to you who really care. I lost 8 months of weight loss because the trained personnel were incompetent. I now know that the band can work for me. I will go back to my surgeon the week of 2/15/10 for another fill. The swelling from throwing up so much will be down by then. My surgeon will take it slowly. I do know that my port is not flipped. My surgeon found it with one stick, twice on the day of the fill and again the very next day for the unfill.

If you know you do not have restriction and you have gone several months without any weight loss do not be hard on yourself if you know you are following the plan and getting enough exercise. Talk to your doctor. Ask questions. Make sure you know how much saline you have in your band. Do not get discouraged. I have another 3 months of free fills at the surgical center, but I will not go back. It will be worth every dollar spent with my surgeon when the weight begins to fall off.

Edited by 2911plans

It sounds like that first place was not getting the Fluid in your port at all. Did you or your surgeon give them feedback about how bad they are doing with fills?

My surgeon has done both of my fills with no numbing and with only one stick. It's a bummer that you had to go through all that, but I'm glad it sounds like things will be better for you now.

Maybe I misunderstood ...... you had WLS and only had 40lbs to take off?

It sounds like that first place was not getting the Fluid in your port at all. Did you or your surgeon give them feedback about how bad they are doing with fills?

My surgeon has done both of my fills with no numbing and with only one stick. It's a bummer that you had to go through all that, but I'm glad it sounds like things will be better for you now.

Maybe I misunderstood ...... you had WLS and only had 40lbs to take off?

Mimi and Hummingbird thanks for your kind words of support. It has been a long frustrating journey. I'm not sure if my surgeon contacted the Fill Center. I am going to once I let my anger subside a bit.

Hummingbird, I only wanted to lose 40lbs. My surgeon felt I could lose up to 50lbs. If I went by the BMI chart I should lose 60lbs. Im a size 14. I would be happy going back to a size 10.

If I were you I'd ask for a partial refund and/or another year since they did screw it up. I'm happy that you finally found out the reason for no weight loss. Blessings on your journey!

I was banded in Mexico 5 yrs. ago and have no restriction any more. I am going back tomorrow and can't remember if we have to fast before the fill....can anyone help?

I was banded in Mexico 5 yrs. ago and have no restriction any more. I am going back tomorrow and can't remember if we have to fast before the fill....can anyone help?

My surgeon wants his patients to be on liquids the day of the fill. I hope this helps you.

Thanks so much for posting your experience. You have shared some really valuable advise for folks to be aware of. I am sure it will help others. You have been through alot! Hope your tummy settles soon and your band can now work the way it is suppose to! Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care,

Barb

Thanks so much for posting your experience. You have shared some really valuable advise for folks to be aware of. I am sure it will help others. You have been through alot! Hope your tummy settles soon and your band can now work the way it is suppose to! Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care,

Barb

Thank you for your support. My surgeon wanted me to wait a month before he fills me again. My big day is 2/24/10. I'm like a kid anxiously waiting for Christmas morning.

I'm not allowed to eat anything 12hrs before a fill and can't have any liquids for 4hrs before. After I do warm liquids for 24hrs and soft foods the next day and just work my way back to eating normal. Hope this helps you.:thumbup:

Sometimes when bandsters post with concerns about not feeling restriction, not many, but some people can be really mean and judgemental. One person in particular posted that some of us obviously do not know how the band works. That was hurtful.
Don't pay those types of people any mind, Sometimes they have just been so unhappy their whole lives and only know how to spread the unhappiness around and then we have those that think they know it all and they are the pros. They don't take the time to think about the fact that everyone is not the same. Don't let it stop you from posting, just skip their jibber and move to the next post that may be helpful. Hope things get better for you. Good luck.

Kimaly

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you don't mind me asking, but were you allowed to have your surgery because you were a cash patient? I know my insurance would only consider approving my surgery if I was at least 100 lbs overweight or had a certain BMI with several co-morbidities. The Lap-Band is a wonderful tool when used properly. I wish I had known it would be an option for me many pounds ago.

Michelle from Washington

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you don't mind me asking, but were you allowed to have your surgery because you were a cash patient? I know my insurance would only consider approving my surgery if I was at least 100 lbs overweight or had a certain BMI with several co-morbidities. The Lap-Band® is a wonderful tool when used properly. I wish I had known it would be an option for me many pounds ago.

Michelle from Washington

My insurance does not cover WLS. My surgeon performs surgery for anyone who needs to lose 40lbs or more. He suggested that I lose 50lbs. I only wanted to lose 40 initially, but since I am banded, I will try and get to a normal BMI.

I hope I answered your question.

I went back to my surgeon's office for a fill this afternoon. I now have 4.5ccs in my band. I hope I have restriction now. Will come back and post after 3 more days on liquids. I had an unfill last month. At the time I had 5ccs in my band. I hope 4.5ccs will be enough to start my weight loss.

BTW, the dr. found the port on the first try once again.

Edited by 2911plans

2911, so sorry to hear of your fill nightmare. I go to my surgeon's ofice, He can find it with 1 stick. His PA, may or may not find it. If he cannot, the surgeon comes in and finds it easily. Sometimes it is the filler, not the fillee. At 9 monrths, they withdrew all the saline to check the amount; I had a loss of more than 2 ccs, which the surgeon said was normal. But i had restrictions and and weight loss. No, the PA did not draw blood; I'm a wimp and would probably cry .

Edited by sue in ne