Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People with FBS (First bite syndrome)

I want to start off by saying I don't have enough restriction most of the time. Its the weirdest thing. When I take my first bite of food, I have too much restriction. Then I stop eating after one bite, because I get stuck on the first bite every single time, and a few min go by and I feel that bite pass through my band. Well when that first bite finally passes through my band, its like the flood gates open up and I am suddenly so hungry and I can eat like I don't even have a band at all. I can eat anything and lots of it. But the first bite I am so tight that sometimes I even PB. This band business is so strange. I don't have restriction 99% of the time, but Im a little nervous to get a fill, because Im afraid of the FBS getting worse. I really need a fill so I can stop eating so much, and I have one sched for next Friday. For those of you with FBS, does getting filled more make it worse for that first bite? Am I going to PB every single time I take that first bite if I get more fill? Any advise is welcome.

**Bump** Anyone? To fill or not to fill, that is the question. Will I end up choking on my own spit if I get a fill because of the FBS? I am confused. I need more fill for the other 99% of the time; but Im really worried Ill end up gagging on my own saliva when I take my first bite of things if I do. Is FBS something that gets worse with fills? Or will it stay the same and the fill will help me with hungar after the first bite?

**confused**

My advice would be to get a tiny fill and just feel it out. I have the same problem as you...in fact, at times if I eat things like chicken and veggies I can eat TOO much. If I eat greasy bad food, I end up eatting less calories because I just can't eat as much. It is very frustrating and I totally get where you are coming from. I also can eat quite a bit, yet I have problems with acid..it's like being too tight but not really lol.

Does your doctor make you drink Water or eat anything after a fill? Mine makes me wait 5 minutes...drink a glass of Water and eat 2 tiny squares of graham crackers...if I can't get it down then he unfills. And how many cc's in how large of a band by the way?

And how many cc's in how large of a band by the way?

Right now I have 3cc's in a 5cc band. It seems like a strange size to people in the US because I wasnt banded in the US, but it works the same way as a 10cc band or any other size. :lol: I have an apt for another fill on Friday. Im thinking about getting .2 of a cc because I really dont want to end up in the ER foaming at the mouth. It just sucks because I am not too tight. I NEED more restriction. I am ONLY tight when I take that first bite, and for about five min after that. Then I eat like a horse. **frustraited** If I cant get more fill, Im afraid this band isnt going to work for me.

i had this and ever since i ended up too restricted it oddly went away. My theory is that being too tight FORCED me to eat really slowly and with a stopwatch (so chew 30 seconds) and wait 30 seconds; haven't had a problem since. I had more problems before reaching proper restriction so go for it. I'm at my sweetspot at 5.7 cc's.

It's my understanding that FBS is really sort of independent from restriction--that it's related to esophageal spasm rather than difficulty of passage through the band/stoma.

When you think about it, this makes lots more sense. Foods don't pass out of a well-restricted stomach as rapidly as the relief from FBS occurs.

You can have a touchy esophageal sphincter, and little restriction from the gastric band. A fill will deal with the latter, but probably have little effect on the former.

I would say go for the fill. A small one anyway...you're at 60% filled so that's really not that tight...at that point I was JUST getting to restriction so...

Im going to go in for the fill on Friday. I guess Ill find out afterwards if it gets worse or not. Hopefully it will be fine. I think Ill just go slow from here on out and have small fills. Im thinking .2 cc's.

Hmm, can't say I have that. But as an experiment, see if drinking something hot right before eating helps. Maybe you have some post nasal drip or excess stomach fluids that build up, so you clog up, PB once to get rid of it and you're fine.

Hmm, can't say I have that. But as an experiment, see if drinking something hot right before eating helps. Maybe you have some post nasal drip or excess stomach fluids that build up, so you clog up, PB once to get rid of it and you're fine.

Thats a thought

Hi,

I just got home from my fill and got an additional .4cc's put in my band. This takes me from 60% full to close to 70% to the max amt of Fluid that my band will hold. I went and ate near the Drs office in case of a problem that I could run back and get an unfill, but it was fine. No change in the first bit syndrome. It was exactly the same. I took a bite, felt it get stuck (not any worse than usual), felt it pass through, then ate without any problems. So just wanted to let you know that in my case, the fill did not effect the FBS. When I got home from my fill, I had this email waiting for me from my wonderful Dr in Mexico. He did not do my fill because I live in Ca, so I get my fills done here by a different Dr. I do consult my surgeon in Mexico though when I come into issues, because he is wonderful and very knowledgeable (not to mention extremely handsome!:thumbdown:) Shout out to Dr Rumbraut and Dr Richard! :thumbup: I wanted to share it here in case anyone else has the same problem I described.

"Don't worry, we had patients with this problem in the past. I don't think you are too tight. I'm pretty sure that this happens with your first meal of the day or at night. What you have to do is drink some warm Water or tea before starting your meal. This will help you flush the mucus in your esophagus and pouch. If you hardly feel restriction during your meals, this means that you need a fill. I don't think this will get worse. Some antacids can help in case of inflammation of your pouch i.e. Prilosec OTC.

Please contact us if you have any more questions"

I have to say I think this is the problem and fills dont effect it much one way or the other. Good to know. Take care!

Glad your fill went OK. I had FBS for about a year or so after my band surgery. Then it went away. It has been so long since I had that problem that I forgot I had it (though I was quite miserable with it at the time :thumbup:)

Hopefully yours will go away too :thumbdown:

actually i get this often. I have one bite, have a big problem, then once its gone, i can eat a lot. I just had a fill, I dont want another one. weird.

Hi,

I just got home from my fill and got an additional .4cc's put in my band. This takes me from 60% full to close to 70% to the max amt of Fluid that my band will hold. I went and ate near the Drs office in case of a problem that I could run back and get an unfill, but it was fine. No change in the first bit syndrome. It was exactly the same. I took a bite, felt it get stuck (not any worse than usual), felt it pass through, then ate without any problems. So just wanted to let you know that in my case, the fill did not effect the FBS. When I got home from my fill, I had this email waiting for me from my wonderful Dr in Mexico. He did not do my fill because I live in Ca, so I get my fills done here by a different Dr. I do consult my surgeon in Mexico though when I come into issues, because he is wonderful and very knowledgeable (not to mention extremely handsome!:)) Shout out to Dr Rumbraut and Dr Richard! :thumbup: I wanted to share it here in case anyone else has the same problem I described.

"Don't worry, we had patients with this problem in the past. I don't think you are too tight. I'm pretty sure that this happens with your first meal of the day or at night. What you have to do is drink some warm Water or tea before starting your meal. This will help you flush the mucus in your esophagus and pouch. If you hardly feel restriction during your meals, this means that you need a fill. I don't think this will get worse. Some antacids can help in case of inflammation of your pouch i.e. Prilosec OTC.

Please contact us if you have any more questions"

I have to say I think this is the problem and fills dont effect it much one way or the other. Good to know. Take care!

Just wanted to share that I also have this issue. I have had it since I was originally banded. Since my first fill (and only fill) it ALWAYS happens when I eat. It is such a pita. However, I have decided to implement it into the whole plan. It makes me eat quite a bit slower, which just tends to help out that much more with Portion Control. if I hit 30 mins eating, I just stop!

Oh...and woot woot! Dr. Richard is a DREAM!!! lol!:wub: