Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cheating on Post Op liquid diet.... help

I had my surgery march 11th and yesterday I cheated and I ate a piece of popcorn chicken, I chewed it really really really good but I have to say I felt so guilty and scared that I was going to mess up my band. It wasn't worth all of that for me and I am going to stick to my doctors rules. I do have to say it is frustrating that every doctor is so different, I did 3 weeks liquids pre-op and will be 2 weeks liquids post op and when I read on here that people are on mushys already it doesn't help me lol. My husband advised me to stop reading this because its giving me ideas that I don't need to have. I suppose we should all just follow the rules. However not listening to my husband telling me to stop coming on here lol it has been so helpful and provides so much support I appreciate it!!!

I'm proud to say that I never even considered cheating pre or post. Yesterday was my 2 week post-op appointment and I got the go ahead to eat what I want.

Those diets are not to test your will power. They are for your own good. If you do break down and eat something, you have to look past it and try harder not to do it again.

Pk - I'll admit to "cheating" - I ate four oyster crackers when I had to take my Oracea - tried it without a cracker cushion the day before and the nausea was so bad I thought I'd throw up...which my doc told me to try to avoid doing as much as possible as it might cause a band slippage.

I'm on puree for the next 2 weeks. I'm a week and a day out and just starting to get hungry, but I'm ignoring it as I've gone through too much to get to this point.

This was a really good post and I appreciate it. I needed to read this tonight. I am 7 days post-op and today I wanted to cheat. I was tired of shakes 2x per day and then broth and popsicle for dinner. So I went and purchased Won-to Soup with no intentions of eating the noodle or meat. I did eat one won-ton and broth. I am so glad I read this. I won't do that again, I am sticking to the plan. I spoke with my Doctor's office and tomorrow I can have oatmeal and or grits. So I may or may not introduce mushies because I believe this is a head thing and not truly my stomach.

I will admit to cheating but I was still sticking to the no sugar or low calorie foods. I didn't go overboard with it though, I had a very small portion and then a small amount Protein Shake. I could not take it...I was so hungry and I felt fine after wards.

I didn't cheat on the pre OR post-op diets...I was too scared. BUT, on my last fill (3rd) I did a really stupid thing and ate solid foods when I was supposed to still be on mushies the day after. BIG MISTAKE...won't happen again. I didn't even get stuck - it didn't have an opportunity to get stuck...I ate a Protein bar. I vomited the Protein Bar. That quickly!! Never again!!!

The thing that would scare me the most about your situation is the fear that the band can slip. Most doctors stitch the band to your stomach, so if you get stuck (which is a lot easier when you're freshly banded because you're still swollen), and vomit, you could cause your band to slip....which could require more surgery. Not something I'd like to do again.

Please think about it....be strong! You can do this! I'm the biggest wuss on the planet, and if I can do it - YOU can do it!!! :smile2:

I only had to be on liquids the day of surgery. I started pureed food the next day and have to stay on it for 2 weeks. I'm just eating more of it now, in my 2nd week, and less frequently. I'm eating real food, just pureeing it. Every doctor seems to suggest different diets, but I think everyone is different so one diet doesn't necessarily fit all.

im so glad i found this forum i cheated today and my chest hurts like no bodies business......i feel like i become starved when i dont take in enough iquids or protien and thats when i have the problems or issues but im glad this forum is here so that i can get answers to my questions btw ive lost 10 pound since my surgery which was Aug. 30th

Yes, I will admit to cheating pre and post op. OMG, I was starving!! My doc is strict 2 weeks clear liquid diet before and after surgery, only Protein shakes for calories. I swear, if I never see a box of Jello again it will be too soon!!!!! However, I was and am very aware of the high price cheating can cause. I was lucky, I had no problems. I didnt want to eat meals, I just wanted to shut the hunger pains off. I nibbled on turkey pepperoni when it got bad. Just a few slices was enough. But then I realized, it wasnt hunger pains as much as I wanted to chew something!!

After surgery is a time for us to detox our bodies of all the crappy foods we've been putting in it for years. Once I got to start eating again, I didnt crave the carbs or sweets so badly. And when I did crave sweets, I ate sugar free. You come look in my cupboards now, and I have about every imaginable sugar free candy and cookie out there! Obviously I still cheat, lol. Be VERY careful cheating, cuz the price could be high.

Another thing I did was drank an extra Protein shake. I was only allowed 900 calories a day, so my three "meal" Proteins shakes I got were made with milk. If I made a fourth cuz I was so hungry, I mixed it with Water, and add a packet of Splenda. I also added Splenda to my Jello when I made it, the extra "sweetness" enhanced the flavor and made it a bit more satisfying. This worked well for me until I got to eat

Yep... I can admit I "cheated" !! That being said, I stuck to my pre-op diet & did that for an extra week(3 weeks as I had a theory about stomach shrinkage which seems to have paid off....) but after surgery, although I wasnt - and havent been hungry, I had head hunger. On day 4 post-op I had one 1/3 of a soy bar.

The next hour, almost like she knew, the bariatric nurse called me to remind me how important that period of healing was.

I didnt cheat again :thumbup:

Rach.

i'm coming up on four weeks out and supposed to be on a 600 calorie goal which has been really hard. i was supposed to be on liquids for two weeks but went to mushies two days early. i also started going over 600 calories at that point because i had developed such a huge hunger. i was supposed to be on mushies for two weeks but went to soft foods after 9 days. i haven't "cheated" on anything bad, just moved my schedule up and went over 600 calories with some regularity. now on soft solids my hunger is much more under control and i am actually doing pretty well keeping close to 600 calories. monday i hit four weeks and my program only requires one week of soft foods but i think i will stay on it for another week so when i get to the last phase (re-introducing everything) it will be at the originally scheduled time. i feel fine, and am losing weight. still 4.5 weeks from my first fill.

Good Morning All !

Im 6 day's into Pre-Op liquid diet. I'm surprising myself actually that i've been able to do it ! I've got down the not eating thing so far, I had a Migraine for the first 5 days of no caffeine , but it's slowly subsiding. Can anyone tell me why i cannot have caffeine free coffee with fat free skim milk ? it's not on my list.. all i see is any flavor herbal tea.:thumbup:

Depends on your doctor. Some feel that the caffene can cause ulcers in your new small stomach. Since I am on perscriptions that make me groggy I asked if I could have regular coffee (two week post op visit) and he said yes. I don't drink hot tea at all (even though I lived in England for a year) so I would be in a world of hurt if I had to drink tea all day.

:(Ok So i'm almost 8 day's into liquid diet Pre-Op. I actually made it through the weekend yay! Caffeine withdrawel headache has subsided compeltely but sunday i had a total meltdown and had a cup of caffeine FREE coffee with fat free skim and a splenda.. so if that is cheating then i'm sorry but it was heaven and really helped me throughout the day . I've not had any food thats not on the list of liquids and i don't plan to, but my weekend needed that ! I have givin up smoking from 2 packs a day to zip 0, alcohol, and food and caffeine. I think i'm doing great! woot woot.. surgery next monday 9/20/10 :P