Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-PS weight?

After losing 110# and being not too far from where I'd like to be (about 210-220#, where my body weight was stable during one of the more active periods of my life), I'm strongly considering PS (thigh, panni, chest -- maybe the full LBL).

I'm curious about how much tissue is typically removed during these procedures. I've seen anywhere between 10-20#, but no comment on how much weight the patient had lost before plastic surgery. This would help me gauge when I should bother going in for a consult.

Also, how dramatic a change in waist/hips size did this incur? Would I need to immediately buy new pants, or would cinching my belt a little more be adequate?

Keith:

I had ps, but only a Tummy Tuck. You might want to look for posts by Manatee because his situation may be more similar to yours because he's a he.

Best wishes to you.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

Keith,

I just went to consult with the PS this week. I’ve lost 80 lbs so far; however, I still need to lose about 10-15 lbs. The PS said I will need a belt Tummy Tuck, arm lift and inner thigh lift. He said he all that should remove about 5- 10 lbs and you probably will lose more since you won’t have an appetite for the first week or two.

Great job on your weightloss!

If it is any help, I had abdominoplasty (Inverted T) last Friday and I have lost about 15 lbs (from the weight I was on the day I had the surgery). However, there is some swelling around the new scars and so I expect that this is excess Fluid. Once the inflammation goes down I expect I will be a few pounds lighter still. Yippee!:thumbdown:

WOW, Ohm, is all I can say!!!!

Mimi

Hey again, Mimi. I think, in order to be totally truthful, I shall need to reveal the embarrassing truth. I hadn't weighed myself since the op - but I had been, errrr, well there's no other way to say this -constipated :blushing:too. Not pleasant.

Anyway, so I weighed myself, and then felt the urge. Success on all fronts - very satisfying and the pleasant surprise was, when I got up and decided to re-weigh myself (purely out of scientific interest, I assure you) I had lost 7 lbs.:w00t: That was one mega poop, I can assure you! I daren't tell the kids, they already think I'm full of pooh!

Anyway, I phoned my best mate and she was truly impressed, but I'm now really worried about the state of my sewage flow. Couldn't handle an external blockage at this point in time!:wink2:

Anyway, the struggle is ongoing.:thumbup:

Edited by Ohm
Typos

Well, OHM, you were truly "FULL OF SH*T!!!!!!" LOL!!!

Those pain pills and decreased activity will interupt the flow of nature!!!! I recommend prune/plum juice daily!!!!

7 pounds...I bow my head in respect, hehehehehehe, truly noteworthy!!!!!

Mimi

Truly. :thumbup:

How embarrassing!

After losing 110# and being not too far from where I'd like to be (about 210-220#, where my body weight was stable during one of the more active periods of my life), I'm strongly considering PS (thigh, panni, chest -- maybe the full LBL).

I'm curious about how much tissue is typically removed during these procedures. I've seen anywhere between 10-20#, but no comment on how much weight the patient had lost before plastic surgery. This would help me gauge when I should bother going in for a consult.

Also, how dramatic a change in waist/hips size did this incur? Would I need to immediately buy new pants, or would cinching my belt a little more be adequate?

OK - you ask a whole bunch of loaded questions. First and foremost, everyone is different. There is no formula for how much the excess skin that you have removed is going to weigh. I lost 236 lbs, was weight stable for about a year before I had surgery, my weight kept redistributing itself and I kept changing my mind about PS (I was chicken) and when I finally had my LBL (which was a circumferential lift and does not really include legs- just a little outer thigh work) done my surgeon removed 14 pounds of excess tissue. My friend who lost about 80+ lbs had about 9 lbs of excess tissue removed. So, as you see, no formula. Your best bet si to have your first PS consult after you have held your weight stable for about 6 months, no less.

It is critical to wait that 6 month period once you have achieved weight stability. If you want to learn more about the process I went through go to my blog post at

Sandi's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story

or just ask me directly.

OK - you ask a whole bunch of loaded questions.

Of course there's going to be variability -- patient, surgical technique, post-op experience, gender, age, etc -- which is why I was asking what people (preferably of a particular phenotype -- 30-something male, about 5'10, large frame, peak weight around 350# sustained, etc) were seeing. And I am absolutely comfortable with knowing that the variability is pretty significant. What I wanted to see was the range -- and that looks to be 10-15# typically -- so I can have a better of idea of whether a stable point I reach is something I shouldn't hold my breath on leaving, and I should start talking surgery dates.

I'm also aware of the "wait six months" advice, and it's advice I agree with. Even with my lower rate of loss the past couple months I've seen my shape shift about. Whether that's elasticity in the skin or redistribution of fat, it's smoothed things out, but only slightly. There's obviously non-elastic remnants hanging about (I had a fair amount of stretch marks in those areas), and now they're doing the imitation dead balloon thing.

So yes, except for a possible consult to discuss future plans/expectations, I'm not expecting to see a surgeon until possibly next year. My loss is much slower than it was, but it's still not quite zero, and I'm not expecting to hit a "final" weight until maybe this summer at this point.

FWIW, I'm also looking at LBL (congrats on yours, btw) and inner thigh work. Probably a small tuck under my arms.

Of course there's going to be variability -- patient, surgical technique, post-op experience, gender, age, etc -- which is why I was asking what people (preferably of a particular phenotype -- 30-something male, about 5'10, large frame, peak weight around 350# sustained, etc) were seeing. And I am absolutely comfortable with knowing that the variability is pretty significant. What I wanted to see was the range -- and that looks to be 10-15# typically -- so I can have a better of idea of whether a stable point I reach is something I shouldn't hold my breath on leaving, and I should start talking surgery dates.

I'm also aware of the "wait six months" advice, and it's advice I agree with. Even with my lower rate of loss the past couple months I've seen my shape shift about. Whether that's elasticity in the skin or redistribution of fat, it's smoothed things out, but only slightly. There's obviously non-elastic remnants hanging about (I had a fair amount of stretch marks in those areas), and now they're doing the imitation dead balloon thing.

So yes, except for a possible consult to discuss future plans/expectations, I'm not expecting to see a surgeon until possibly next year. My loss is much slower than it was, but it's still not quite zero, and I'm not expecting to hit a "final" weight until maybe this summer at this point.

FWIW, I'm also looking at LBL (congrats on yours, btw) and inner thigh work. Probably a small tuck under my arms.

That's great! I'm glad you are planning on waiting, and yes, the hanging skin really does get annoying (and in the way). good luck on your journey. You will be thrilled with the LBL if that is what your final choice is. I know I am. I love my flat tummy! My loss was 14 pounds from the LBL and about 4 lbs from my arms - or batwings as I not so lovingly used to call them. And remember- slow and steady wins the race.

You will be thrilled with the LBL if that is what your final choice is.

I'm already not *thrilled* with LBL, any more than I'm *thrilled* with bariatric surgery. Nonetheless, just as bariatric surgery was the best option for me to get where I wanted, LBL is looking, overall, to produce better results for the effort. I don't like the idea of having my largest organ sliced in half and re-stitched, and then spending a good amount of time in pain. It smacks of a bad horror flick; maybe I should time it for Halloween? :w00t:

Hey again, Mimi. I think, in order to be totally truthful, I shall need to reveal the embarrassing truth. I hadn't weighed myself since the op - but I had been, errrr, well there's no other way to say this -constipated :blushing:too. Not pleasant.

I remember life immediately post-op with my lapband. I eventually grabbed the bottle and hose and convinced things to move. Felt much better after.

I should have done so pre-op. Trying to move things when my abs didn't want to do anything but crawl off into a corner and weep was just painful.

I'm already not *thrilled* with LBL, any more than I'm *thrilled* with bariatric surgery. Nonetheless, just as bariatric surgery was the best option for me to get where I wanted, LBL is looking, overall, to produce better results for the effort. I don't like the idea of having my largest organ sliced in half and re-stitched, and then spending a good amount of time in pain. It smacks of a bad horror flick; maybe I should time it for Halloween? :thumbup:

One final word- the results are worth it! (ok- that was 5 words) Best of luck to you!:thumbup: