Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you suggest a reasonable weight?

I fell off the bandwagon after having a baby (2008), but recently got back on and weight loss is still going very good. Started my band journey back in 2007 at 333 lbs. Today, I weight 231 pounds! I'm down from a size 26 (top) 30 (bottom) to a size 16 (top) 20 (bottom).

I had set a goal of 198, but now I'm wondering if that's too high or too low. My weight loss is slowing to about 8lbs a month (which is still great) but what I really want is a good goal to aim for! My doc had said 60% of excess weight is most likely with band? (that would be 223lbs)

Any thoughts? Just for reference, I am African-American woman and have a large body frame (still where a size 11 shoe!). I am only 5 feet, 5 and a half inches tall. Also, I weighed 200lbs by 8th grade, so I don't have any adult frame of reference for a healthy size.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

MaryumC

Edited by MaryumC

My surgeon does not go by the BMI chart, he says we'll just know when we are where are body should be. I am 5'9 and I'm thinking I will be happy around 175... This is after I have plastic surgery to remove all the excess skin.. So it's just an individual thing. That's what's great about the band, we can control our weight with our fills or non fills. For me I'm going to get in the 190's ( 40 lbs from now) and then plan a visit to the plastic surgeon and go from there. Good luck with your decision!

I'm having trouble with this, too. I'm your height with size 10.5 feet. I'm down to 195 now, but I think I'd like to lose 15-20 more pounds. My size 14 pants are starting to get too big. I have a pair of 12s, but I'm sure that most 12s would not fit. I am figuring that soon the weight loss will just stop. I'm losing much more slowly now, only a 1 a week or so. But I figure, if it takes me 6 months to lose the last 20, I really don't care. I feel good. And as long as I don't gain, I'm happy. Even if I never see 180, I'll be fine. This is soooo much better than where I was!

Cindy

I'm also 5 5 and a half. I weigh about 155 lbs and I can stand to lose another 25-30 lbs. My shoe size is a women's 10, but I have a small frame.

I'm 5'5.5" inches, 195 pounds currently and a size 9 to 9.5 shoe size. I want to get to at least 150 since that's my maximum "normal" weight. From there I will stop and live there for a while and see how I like it. I've always dreamed of being 135 for some reason, but I would probably look ghastly at that weight.

Really, it varies person to person. You could stop right now if you're really pleased with your appearance, health, etc. Do what makes you happy, but not unhealthy :cursing:.

I would shoot for "normal", but that's just me. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I unashamedly say that I think thin looks good, particularly for taller women like me who tend to just look "big" even if not fat ('ve always envied shorter women that can look cute and curvy, for me, I feel I need to be slender to look feminine, otherwise I'm as big as many men). I'm 5ft 10 and 150 lb, so I would imagine that at 5ft 5, about 140 would be pretty good and then fine tune it from there.

But that said, sometimes that sort of goal can be overwhelming and if you feel that you should maybe aim for say, 180 and fine tune it, or even 200 and fine tune it, its your choice and yours alone, its what makes you feel good and happy that counts.

My doc had said 60% of excess weight is most likely with band?
My doctor said something similar, but then qualified it by saying that "most likely" isn't destiny--that people who are committed to following through can achieve greater losses. Most of his patients seem to lose far more than average with the band; there are many, many who've lost 100% of their excess weight.

While the doctor'd be happy if I hit that 50-60%, in terms of health gains, I know I will not. I do have an adult frame of reference, having been normal-weight for many years, and know where I'm most comfortable--and that is on the low end of the weight range for my height. I will not be satisfied with mediocre results after surgery--I didn't have surgery to remain in the overweight (or even obese) category!

But that's just me--I have orthopedic issues that just feel better when my weight is really down.

At 5'5.5", I'd aim for WAY below the doctor's 60% level---your progress to date has been astounding, your rate of loss is great, and I think that attaining a lower, healthier weight is achievable. Your body will guide you--there will come a time when your weight loss tapers off. If you like where you are at that point, you can work on maintenance. If not, you can re-tool your eating a bit, bump up your exercise, and work the band for a while longer, until you reach that point.

There's no rule saying you can't stay at a certain weight for a while, stabilize, and then decide, "Hey, you know what? I think I'll go ahead and try to get another 10-15-20 pounds off," either---so no decision you make is written in stone.

Go for healthy, my friend! I am 5’3 but have a very slight body build (but we never knew it until I lost all the weight). I weigh about 132 lbs right now- drifting between 125 and 135 lbs. I am of the impression that if you intend to lose weight, you should go all the way.

There’s a chart at http://www.freebmicalculator.net/bmi-chart.jpg that you might find helpful.

I agree i say go for what will make you happy.my medicine doctor and i never agree he just laughs and say,"you're going to do what you want to anyway