Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting for freak out have some ???

Ok. I don’t know if I am starting to freak out since surgery is scheduled for February 5 and it just a couple days away or if its because I have been reading more and more on this site. Some people make it very clear that they use the lap-band as a tool and something that helps with Portion Control. These people sound like they still eat most of the foods they did before just in a lot smaller amounts. Others make it sound like I will be eating cottage cheese and Protein Shakes for the rest of my life.

Guess I am wondering do people still get to have food like pizza, wings, Pasta? I am not talking about every night or once a week I am just talking about once in awhile and just a small slice not the whole pizza pie?

Also how scary and bad is it when something gets stuck? Are there any hints that you can give me for getting over a stuck episode faster? I am really scared of this happening!!!!!!

Thanks for everyone’s support and help that you have all been giving me!!!

I had my surgery on Nov 18th 2009 and I have had pizza and wings. Like you said not often but I have tried all the things I used to love. I had no problems. As far as things getting stuck you will unfortunately have to learn that all on your own. A lot of people suggest walking around helps.

There is nothing I can't eat. I struggle with bread and Pasta but I can eat anything if I chew it enough. I would'nt be concerned about not being able to any things. I will say I eat much less. I made pizza last night and I was able to eat one piece. If I eat a hamburger I eat half. You can typically eat what you want. Just less

The band is designed to work best on solid food and, theoretically, you should be able to eat anything after you are banded. From this site and support group mtgs I have been to, though, it seems that the majority of people do have trouble eating bread and red meat. My dietician made it clear to me, though, that this is a choice... that they CAN eat those things, but a lot of people just don't want to cut it small enough or chew it long enough.

Personally, I have had bread get stuck once. It wasn't a horrible experience, but not something I would want to repeat. I realize I could probably still eat bread if I nibbled smaller pieces off of it, but I've decided bread is just not that great for my diet anyway (simple carb) so I don't mind just avoiding it for now.

As for those who just consume Protein shakes and soft foods, that is a sign that your band is too tight (the red zone on the lapband chart). Technically, they should not keep their band that tight, but some people prefer it that way and they feel it works better for them that way.

How tight you get your band is up to you, though. A lot of people on here make it sound like you either have restriction or you don't. Well, I don't think its that simple. I do believe there are different degrees of restriction. And, if you are losing 1-2 pounds per week, you do not HAVE to get your band tightened. For me, I'm still losing that, but I'm getting hungry between meals so I want it tightened more. But, it is my choice. I could leave it as it is until I stopped losing if I want.

Well said, Adagray!

I will add that there are some things that are no no's forever, at least according to my surgeon. Those include chewing gum, carbonated beverages, and using straws. The gum is because if you were to accidentally swallow it, it could get stuck and cause you to possibly have to have surgery to get it removed. As for the carbonated beverages, this is something that some people do, but I haven't tried it. I did accidentally drink out of a straw once (was using it to stir tea and forgot) and it did hurt, so I'm sticking with his advice. If a straw was painful, I'm not taking a chance with soda.

Everyone has completely different experiences and are told things COMPLETELY opposite from one surgeon to the next.

I personally have been able to eat anything and everything I want with just a few "hiccups" along the way. I can eat bread and red meat with no problems, but hamburgers generally make me feel uncomfortable (not always).

I can eat pizza with thin crust, thick, you name it no problems at all ever!

I drink carbonated soda (sugar free) several times a week with no side affects at all. Please keep in mind I only have 3cc in a 10cc band.

As for stuck episides, they are no fun and can be scary for the first couple times you have them. After that, they are uncomfortable, but you know how to deal with them so that they are not scary.

Everyone is different, and having pre-surgery jitters is normal. If you have major reservations, I would suggest doing more research before "taking the plunge" best of luck!!

I can eat everything but only tiny portions. If I do get stuck it is always my own fault and provides the bitch slap I need! LOL! Papaya enzyme chewables definitely helps and I used to carry them everywhere until I learned how NOT to get stuck! Relax, this is the best thing ever...and even a painful stuck incident isnt as bad as going to some fancy event miserable because of how you look!!

If I do get stuck it is always my own fault and provides the bitch slap I need! LOL!

Papaya enzyme chewables definitely helps and I used to carry them everywhere until I learned how NOT to get stuck! Relax, this is the best thing ever...and even a painful stuck incident isnt as bad as going to some fancy event miserable because of how you look!!

Well Said. LOL... I got stuck after stuffing two of my grandsons potato chips in my mouth! I learned my lesson...

Haha...

I use the Stuck episodes as an Aversion therapy... I tried it, it didn't work and caused me pain and I don't want to do that again, so I will avoid the temptation next time... Aversion Therapy... It works. haha...

Next year, I will be the "belle of the Ball" at my companies Christmas party instead of hiding in a frumpy outfit in the corner!

In my opinion you may be able to eat anything but that doesn't mean you should. You want to stay away from refined carbs and high fat foods (sorry that includes pizza). I consider myself a food addict and therefore have to abstain from high sugar and high fat foods. Just some food for thought.

Agree, also when yo are putting Protein first you usually dont have room for the Pasta, bread, rice etc! I sometimes snag the topping off of pizza so I dont eat the crust. My cravings for 'bad' things has gone way down though, thanks to the band! If I eat like I should (only when I'm hungry, stop when not hungry, no Water, never eat to full or painful, etc) I can barely get enough protein AND enough calories in! That's why I LOVE my band!

Curlicue22 - I understand and validate your fear and nervous feelings.

The advice and answers were wonderful.

Wishing you great success on the 5th. Remember, if all these others ca:thumbup:n manage the band, so can we.

Lap band is a "tool" for weight loss. After surgery you will be on a special diet for the first month. Then after that it is like a baby, you introduce new foods cautiously until you know what you can and can't tolerate. You will eat much less, but you can eat many of the same foods you love. I had chicken tenders yesterday for the first time and they were fine. You have to be careful to follow you doctor's instructions or the "tool" will not work right. It is a lifetime committment so don't take it lightly, you are right to have concerns and maybe you should talk to your doctor. Your post stated your stress well, take it with you to remind you what to ask about or call them on the phone.

You may not have restriction anyway untill you get several fills, so don't worry about being stuck until you get restriction. If you get stuck, you will know it. I drink several big swallows of Water and bring it up. Then I do liquids only for 12 hours. I hardly ever do it any more because like one poster said you learn pretty fast what to do and not do.... You will be fine, I promise, the key is staying positive and believing you can do it well!!!

Congratulations on your surgery date, Curlicue! No need to worry too much -- I can still eat just about everything I used to eat . . I just eat less of it! The only food that doesn't work for me that I've just stopped eating entirely is soft bread that "gums" together after you chew it.

So, I don't eat Bagels anymore (though I could have some toasted bagel if I wanted). I still eat red meat though I'm careful about when I eat it b/c sometimes I get stuck on it.

As for getting stuck and PBing, it doesn't happen to me that often . . maybe once every other month? I'm not sure. More often, something will be sort of stuck, I'll slime a bit, and it will eventually go down. It's a little gross, but it doesn't happen often enough that it's a big deal.

Honestly, the benefits of the band are so great that none of that stuff really bothers me. I was surprised to find out that it's not as hard as I thought it would be.

I'm 15 months out now and 3.4 pounds from goal. GOOOOOOOO BAND!! :(

Best,

Catherine

I am a burger addict and was so scared I would never get another one. I am not sure why but most foods I loved before smell and tast different. I am Mexican so I love all the spices and cheese. I went to dinner the other night and could not handle the smells in the reastraunt so giving it up has not been hard. I got banded Jan 4 so I don't know if it goes away or not. I am a big chicken not to mention a hard head and if I can do this anyone can.