Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Removed 1/19/10

Before I had it removed I was looking everywhere to find information about what it is like after removal. Can I eat normal and without pain again? Will my left shoulder pain go away? I couldn't find this anywhere so I wanted to let those who are looking for these answers know about my experience. I realize not everyone will have the same experience, but it would of been nice to find someone who had the lap band removed and could tell me how they felt and if their situation improved.

I had my lap band for a year. I had a really difficult time with it, mostly because I could barely eat anything of substance. I found that when I tried to eat meat/vegetables/anything with texture basically it came back up. I really tried so many things, chewing forever, small little bites, baby silverware, liquid to help it go down, no liquid, etc, etc, etc. I was in pain whenever I would eat and felt like I couldn't breathe. That just didn't seem right to me. I missed having salad! And chicken, oh how I love chicken! But no matter what I tried I couldn't get it down. I had my lap band loosened, tightened, they had so many suggestions and I tried every one of them.

I finally decided I didn't want to live this way. I was tired, didn't ever feel good, was depressed. I didn't feel healthy. I lost 50 pounds sure... but what good is that when I felt terrible all the time? It wasn't a fair trade off to me.

I am lucky that my insurance paid for my lap band removal as I know that is an obstacle for many.

I am so thankful it is out. I can breathe! I can eat real food! My left shoulder pain is completely gone! I feel alive, and healthy, and like I can get back to my real life.

I don't regret getting the lap band. It was a year of learning to eat slow and small bites. That hasn't gone away. It has been almost 2 weeks since it was removed and I was afraid once it was gone I would eat like crazy just because I could. But I find that instead I am thoroughly enjoying every bite, because as I swallow I can still breathe, my chest isn't tight, I don't have pain just because I eat food. And so far I haven't gained any weight back, yay me!

The best way of describing it is that I feel FREE.

Free to be me, Free to eat healthy! I am very happy for the people this works for and I wish it had worked better for me. But I don't consider it a failure in my life. I look at it as a learning experience. I now know more about what I need to be healthy and live the life I want to live.

Only bad part about having it removed, a sore tummy where my incisions are for about a week. I call that fair for having my life back. :biggrin:

Thank you for the post about your experience. I am sorry the band did not work out for you. Hopefully you can keep up with good habits and maintain the weight that was so painfully lost.

I am happy you are feeling better!

I am so sorry you had such a profoundly bad experience but again thanks for posting it. It is good to hear the bad with the good.

I'm so sorry you went through all of this and that the band was not the tool for you. You are right, what works for some doesn't work for all. I wish you much success with your weight loss efforts.

Hi,

I had my band removed on 2/28/09, almost been a year. I too had suffered greatly in the months before having it removed. Up all night, reflux, pain, extreme weight loss from not eating anything, getting "stuck" on everything. After months of suffering, my surgeon ordered an Upper GI and they found right away that my band had slipped and scheduled me to have it fixed/removed. I begged them to fix it and not remove it. I woke up from surgery without a LapBand. Surgeon said it was just too damaged inside to repair or affix a new band. I trust him with my health and know he made the best decision.

However, Here i am a year later, regained some weight, thinking that i'm super woman and could totally maintain with out the band. I am just now coming to realize that I had way too high of expectations on myself that I could do it all alone. I'm currently going through Binge Eating Disorder treatment and continue to gain weight back. I have been feeling like such a failure but am starting to see the light and get back on track.

I felt that the band had been a gift and it worked as a tool and now it was my job to just maintain. But it's been a lot harder and a lot different than I imagined.

My pain and suffering was all GONE as soon as the band was removed. After healing from surgery, back to normal and my digestion was better than it was before the band. For all of that I am greatful! sometimes i forget how bad it really got.

Let me know if you have quesitons or needs support. I'm a year out and feel like I should have stayed connected to Bandsters but felt I didn't belong and no one could relate. Keep reaching out for help and stay greatful for what you learned and what the band gave you.

Em

Hey Em,

Thank you for sharing your story! I am glad you are feeling better.

Hi Em,

Thanks for sharing your story. I just joined this web sight. I have had the lap band on for 7 years and wonder if it will one day also slip or break. I makes me a little nervous but i am very pleased with it. I lost over 85 lb and continue to loose. I have my good days and not so good days. There are many foods I can not eat but i have learned to accept it.

best wishes

ayme

TGKA23....thank you for your positive post. I just lost my band to slippage and stomach prolasps Tuesday and today I'm having a really hard time morning the loss. I too had many problems and this was my second band. The first one was great for the first 1.5 years, lost over 75 pounds then it slipped. It hadn't been right since. Long story short, I had a really really bad prolasps so bad that the radiologist report says the band that once pointed toward my left shoulder was now looking down at my left foot. Yes...I was in trouble. When I think about it, I haven't been living this past year. I couldn't eat right no matter having followed all the rules. In the end I want to live...even if it means living chubbier than I was expecting. I want to eat salad and not fear it will come back at me. I want to eat chicken and fish with no issues. What I keep telling myself is this was a tool, a great tool for a while but, in the end the best tool I have.........me. "I" control the fork and what I eat and so I have to learn to use that tool more effectively. Today was a very bad day...it's only been 4 days since I lost my band and the anesthesia is leaving my body and giving me the blues. I'm morning the loss of not only my band but, what it represented to me WHEN I got it. But, in my heart of hearts I know it needed to happen in order for me to live life. I hope we can stay in touch and help each other. I'd like to that.

I'm hoping that with everything I've gone through that I can be a Patient Advocate. I want to teach people to stick up for themselves. When they know something isn't right to stand up and say to their doc it's not right. I didn't...and I should have. I'M THE ONE in the end that ordered the last swallow study and look what they found!!!!! It took me burning and cooking from acid from my inside out before I took the reigns? What the heck! I don't want any patient to ever go through that. So I'm hoping I can help in that way. I was old school, listen to the doc he knows best but, in the end..HE is human just like me and will make mistakes. But on top of that......statistics come into play and that needs to be pushed aside. If not by the doc then by the patient. Take the reigns for yourself...no one else will!

My post op visit is set for the 24th and I'll be doing alot of talking with my doc and the surgical director I spoke with prior to my last fill. I had alot of issues with my doc and not being heard so I asked her to help. I'm going to ask her again to be with me when I speak to him again so I say all I have to. Get him to listen so that I can help future patients who have the same symptoms. It's going to take all I have to do it but, damn I will. What do I have to lose.....not like I'm his patient anymore. Before the removal he was attentive....after the removal he already was rushed AGAIN. So he has alot to learn and I still do too. I was never pushy, always let him tell me what was best but..........it got me this instead. So we'll have to learn together. I don't hate him, I am mad but, at myself more...I just hope I can get him to listen now and see if I can help them help patients speak up.

Sorry this is all scrambled for sure. I'll be ok in a few days and be able to post more logically :smile: Thanks for listening and I wish you the best with your Unbanded journey.

Guest BikiniBeachy

Before I had it removed I was looking everywhere to find information about what it is like after removal. Can I eat normal and without pain again? Will my left shoulder pain go away? I couldn't find this anywhere so I wanted to let those who are looking for these answers know about my experience. I realize not everyone will have the same experience, but it would of been nice to find someone who had the LAP-BAND® removed and could tell me how they felt and if their situation improved.

I had my LAP-BAND® for a year. I had a really difficult time with it, mostly because I could barely eat anything of substance. I found that when I tried to eat meat/vegetables/anything with texture basically it came back up. I really tried so many things, chewing forever, small little bites, baby silverware, liquid to help it go down, no liquid, etc, etc, etc. I was in pain whenever I would eat and felt like I couldn't breathe. That just didn't seem right to me. I missed having salad! And chicken, oh how I love chicken! But no matter what I tried I couldn't get it down. I had my LAP-BAND® loosened, tightened, they had so many suggestions and I tried every one of them.

I finally decided I didn't want to live this way. I was tired, didn't ever feel good, was depressed. I didn't feel healthy. I lost 50 pounds sure... but what good is that when I felt terrible all the time? It wasn't a fair trade off to me.

I am lucky that my insurance paid for my LAP-BAND® removal as I know that is an obstacle for many.

I am so thankful it is out. I can breathe! I can eat real food! My left shoulder pain is completely gone! I feel alive, and healthy, and like I can get back to my real life.

I don't regret getting the LAP-BAND®. It was a year of learning to eat slow and small bites. That hasn't gone away. It has been almost 2 weeks since it was removed and I was afraid once it was gone I would eat like crazy just because I could. But I find that instead I am thoroughly enjoying every bite, because as I swallow I can still breathe, my chest isn't tight, I don't have pain just because I eat food. And so far I haven't gained any weight back, yay me!

The best way of describing it is that I feel FREE.

Free to be me, Free to eat healthy! I am very happy for the people this works for and I wish it had worked better for me. But I don't consider it a failure in my life. I look at it as a learning experience. I now know more about what I need to be healthy and live the life I want to live.

Only bad part about having it removed, a sore tummy where my incisions are for about a week. I call that fair for having my life back. :thumbup:

Thank you for this post. This is exactly how I feel. I wish so bad I could have my insurance cover this. I am devasted they won't, because even as I sit here writing this, I am riddled with undiagnosed abdominal pain.

I am so happy for you!