Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Replacement Surgery

I just wanted to post my experience with this since I didn't find too many posts already about it.

I had my initial surgery 9/30/09 and it went really well. I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have any gass pain at all. I was back to work about two weeks later and was fine. I went in to get my first fill about 4 weeks after the surgery and my surgeon couldn't find the "bullseye" on my port. He scheduled me to get my fill under fluroscopy. A week later I went in to get that done. The radiologist found my port but it took about 45 minutes for him to access it.

My surgeon saw the films and said he thought he could get the port now that he knew it was facing my head and not out toward the world. So the next fill came and he tried... no luck. So we scheduled the port replacement surgery.

I was concerned b/c he said this would be done under conscious sedation (the same kind places use for colonoscopy procedures) which made me a bit nervous to think that he would be accessing my stomach muscles while I was just loopy and not totally knocked out.

The day of my surgery I showed up and spoke with the

anesthesiologist who told me it "would be the same sedation as my first surgery". SCORE! I checked in at 6:45 and was out by 9. I wasn't sleepy or really in pain. The surgeon opened one of the exsisting sites and just replaced the port. I was back to work after the weekend. It felt like I had done 1000 crunches. So sore but not in pain. The lortab helped me sleep through the night.

I don't know why I was so scared of this surgery and not of the other. Maybe because I couldn't find too many people that had it done. I hope my experience helps someone else.

I hope at this point I am as lucky. Although I really don't find luck has anything to do with it.

I am 10 days post op from my port replacement.

I started strong, but, about 5 weeks in, my port incision opened up and started to drain. I've been on more antibiotics since July 29/09 than I had the previous 15 years. When the drainage didn't show any signs of stopping, they sedated me and opened it up, cleaned it out and closed it.

Unfortunately, about 4 weeks later, it happend again. That meant more antibiotics and another surgery. This time they took out the port. Checked everywhere in the abdomen and left my incision open to be clean packed. Not so nice, but I healed 'beautifully' or so I'm told.

10 days ago my new port was put in. I have all new lap access openings and a new port incision. Plus a new port site. My staples came out last friday and there is a small localize spot of infection, but it is clearing up.

I'm so scared right now that the whole thing will go again, I'm having trouble sleeping. I think the world of the surgeon and his staff, but am afraid to tell them about my fears.

This is the first time I've been successful losing weight. I am almost at goal and so proud of myself. I actually let someone take my picture about 3 weeks ago. That is so a first in a very long time.

I am still shocked when I see my face and it isn't blurred and distorted from the weight. I"m not ashamed of how I look or how people perceive me now. I am feeling mostly good, and enjoy increased activity and energy. And I am absolutely terrified the port will reinfect and I'll lose it all. Every day out without infection is a bonus, and I"m still losing. But, the fear is sort of getting to me.

How long since your port was replaced? Even tho it wasn't from infection. Do you have any problems? Concerns?

Thanks so much for posting--you both seem as love with the Band as I am--and I guess I never thought it could go wrong!

My Band is leaking and so I'm looking at either having the tubing or the entire Band replaced. I go back 2/25/10 under fluoro again to see where the leak is. :lol:

So reading posts like yours where you've had to have some type of re-surgery done makes me less nervous--especially when you were out of there in less than 3 hours.

I really appreciate your posting! :)

I was banded on 12/30/09. I just went in today (2/11) for my check up & first fill. My port has flipped. My doctor wants to schedule this procedure for me soon. Since my appointment was at the end of the day, the hospital business office was closed. He is going to get with them tomorrow to see if they will waive charges. He has already agreed to waive his & the anithesiologist fees since I was self pay.

This is all very frustrating though! Thank you for your post. It does give me hope that it won't be too bad.

On the bright side, when I weighed in today I had lost almost 30 pounds! I just hope this doesn't set me back.

Well, I thought I would post an update. Not doing so good with this new port. After a strong start with the surgery and the new port on January 22/10, I started to drain from my incision again a week ago yesterday. The doc froze the site and cut it open, and then cleaned it up and packed it. I did not like it much.

But today, the dressing change yielded drainage that is more than should be coming off at this point,and certainly not a clear drainage. So, any suggestions? I am sick with worry and anxiety. I know the port will again be taken out, and that means I can't work the band.

I have failed at every diet I've ever tried. This was actually working. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be so grateful.

Thanx

Sheri

My surgery was Wednesday, March 3rd--turned out the tubing was shredded where it goes into the port, so I got new tubing and a smaller port--In and out of the hospital in five hours! Thursday felt great, but yesterday and today have been trying--think I was trying to get back to my regular routine, which now has to be thrown out the window in favor of a new much-less-food / slow-eating-down-to-a-crawl one! (My surgeon put 4cc back into my port--I'd had 3.5cc before January) I'll get it--I have one week before I have to go back to work (where they were all against me having surgery anyway 1 1/2 years ago--they said I just hadn't found the right diet for my metabolism--if I only had a nickel for every time I heard that! :smile: )

Little2be: I am so sorry about your drainage-infection issues--much more than you should be having! All I DO know is that when my surgeon was trying to talk me into gastric a week before surgery, he said "If the Band doesn't work for you, all I'll be able to do is the Gastric Sleeve" (reducing your stomach size). :w00t:

But for now, I'd say hang in there--surely you will be able to combat this thing and get back on track. My very best wishes go your way...:smile2:

Edited by make33

I was banded on 12/30/09. I just went in today (2/11) for my check up & first fill. My port has flipped. My doctor wants to schedule this procedure for me soon. Since my appointment was at the end of the day, the hospital business office was closed. He is going to get with them tomorrow to see if they will waive charges. He has already agreed to waive his & the anithesiologist fees since I was self pay.

This is all very frustrating though! Thank you for your post. It does give me hope that it won't be too bad.

On the bright side, when I weighed in today I had lost almost 30 pounds! I just hope this doesn't set me back.

Hi . I'm thinking this may have happend to me {flipped port}.

What were your symtoms? I'm having pain like the sensation when I first had sugery done. Hurts to bend, laydown, sit up ect. My surgen thinks I may have pulled out a stitch. She sent me in for a CT sacn yesterday. Waiting to here. If that the case, I'm not sure if I will keep my band. :-( I have lost more then 1/2 the weight I wanted to lose & don't want to have more problems. I don't like the idea of having the band in me for life anyway. Not sure??????