Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any older bandsters here

I think it's a great idea (55 and older thread)! Someone, please start one...and I'll be there!!!

I know what you mean Sandy. I had every excuse for not doing something about getting surgery and the major reason was my insurance would not pay for it. I finally came to the conclusion that without it I would end up dying way too soon. I was 57 years old, 5'1 and 338 pounds.

We took out a 2nd mortgage on our house to pay for the surgery and by far, it's been the best investment I ever made!!! I invested in myself and it's paying off! I'm losing weight and feeling great!!! I have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholestrol, arthritis, anxiety attacks and depression, all controlled my meds. I hope in the near future not to have to take meds or use the C-pap. My doc says losing the weight will most certainly up my chances of dropping these.

My whole attitude about eating has changed...I just don't have the cravings that I used to and I'm actually able to tell when I am full.

I love my band and how well it works for me (as if you couldn't tell!

pam

Danistar..small world. My daughter works at Roane Medical Center. If you've ever been to the ER she probably checked you in. Her name is Tiffany. She is a Bullard and tells me everyone in Harriman knows them. Her mother-in-law's name is Mona and she runs a small cafe near the hospital. What a small world. Perhaps someday we shall meet. I would love to meet someone from here.

As for the other person with the knee problems who is worried about the stress test. My dr. knew I have joint and knee problems so gave me a thallium scan. Completely painless and gives the exact same results. Mine was given this year to make sure all my arteries were still open to my heart. I would talk to your dr. about going this route. I could no more have done the treadmill then hiked up a mountain.

The sleep apnea test was well worth the time because I have it bad and am going on C-pap. I go in Sat. night Nov. 12 to be tried on the C-pap and spend what I hope is the last night before my surgery. I'll going a little backwards and getting all the tests done. I've talked to the man who does the psych tests and he said he could get me in most anytime so he isn't that booked up. I'm psyched alright...I know the surgery is my hope for living to see my grandchildren grow up. I can't think of a better reason.

Support is my problem. I only have the people I met on here, and my daughter in Tn. I haven't told the other girls about it, because they would begin carping I'm sure about my spending their "inheritance" :) I'm doing this for me and not anyone else. Husband has been gone for 10 years; and the rest of the family aren't overly supportive. They tend to have their own lives. One daughter is in Italy and her husband is on TDY to Iraq, so she has issues of her own to worry about....anyway I come here to get my support. I was up very late last night and went all through the before and after pictures and have to say I'm very impressed with all these women and guys. I only hope I do half as well. If determination makes for succeeding I have it!!

Danistar get back to me on what part of Harriman you are in and perhaps you might even know my youngest daughter. She has a boy who will be 7 in Dec.

Good luck and please keep in touch. ;)

Thanks for the support and feedback guys. How about a thread called "Experience Challenged" Jack? I like the sound of that one. You are too funny.

Pam, I am going to check w/HR to see if I can borrow on my 403b. I had heard at one point that our employer does not allow that. I know people say that you shouldn't touch retirement money but, if I don't get the surgery, they're going to be using that money to bury me. SSoooo....

You know, I was watching a minister on TV last week. He was saying that if something is for you, God will give it to you in His time. He said that if you are somehow able to manipulate the situation and get it before you should have it, it will "turn to dust in your hand." I WANT THE SURGERY 10 YEARS AGO!! But what he said struck a nerve, especially since I want to be cremated when I die. If I insist on rushing things, not only will it turn into dust, but so will I.

I always enjoy your posts Banded for Life. Your positive attitude about the results of being banded give me the encouragement I need to keep on keeping on.

I'm 52 and just had the surgery in August, glad I did even though the weight is coming off pretty slow (my fault for not exercising). My reason for the surgery was health, which is a thread with those of us who are older it seems. After 50 I was so tired I almost couldn't function, years of a highly compeditive stressful job, combined with packing around 100 lbs made me feel like I had a couple of years left (at the most). It was just one health problem after another including sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, asthma, back pain, knee pain, and mobility problems (1/2 block I was out of breath). I hope to loose 100 lbs but will be happy with 80, and I plan to take early retirement in 2 years (as soon as I am eligible). Can really afford to start over with something new, but can't take the pressure of the corporate environment either. I'm just sorry I didn't wake up years ago, but grateful I did wake up. Even though the weight is coming off slowly, my life is improving. I can walk almost a mile (slowly), I eat primarily healthly (white bread, white rice, white flour and white sugar, has become a thing of the past), mostly vegetarian, some fish. I don't feel bloated all of the time, and I don't feel like a glutton when I eat. I feel better when I take my Vitamins, but I forget alot. Drink alcohol alot less, 1/2 glass of wine is the most I have. Before surgery 2 dark beers followed by a large glass of wine with dinner was the norm. I guess what I'm trying to say is the surgery won't cure everything, I do have to work with good healthy choices too, but the band helps to make me think everytime I eat and drink. I too think it's the best thing I've done for me so far, retirement just might top it however in a few years.

I can relate to everything you said. All the same symptoms....everything. My home is paid for so I'm taking out a reverse mortgage. I'm on disability and can't afford any more payments out of pocket. With a reverse mortgage they pay me, only in the end there won't be a whole lot of money for my kids to get. They actually don't need it anyway, except for the youngest. I have to do what is best for myself. My kids are all married and have their own lives, and if I have to get a mortgage on the house to get this surgery I shall do it. That is really what is holding up my surgery somewhat. I want to make sure I have the money in hand, even though Medicare assures me they will pay. They don't pre-authorize and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't come through for me...so I have to have the money. I think it may be the best investment of my life.

I think at the same time I need surgery for a large hernia on the upper right hand side. It will be killing 2 birds with one stone so to speak. It really is beginning to hurt.

Anyway...I'm slowly waiting till everything falls into place. Thanks for all the encouragement. I bet I will be a slow loser too, as I haven't been into excercise with my arthritis. Perhaps some of that will get better with weight loss. I'd love to just take my dog for a walk around the block. That is my goal right now....that and walking right by the "handicap carts" at Walmart.< /p>