Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First post - Surgery 2/17/10 - Getting nervous :o(

Hello all.... My name is Michele. I've been heavy my WHOLE life. I came out of the womb and 10lbs 2oz and just kept getting fat from there! :o)

I'm 40 now and on WAY too many medications for my age. 3 BP meds, 4 Diabetes meds, 3 for depression/anxiety. That's just SICK!!!! I never looked at it in print until now... eek!

Anyway, I've been afraid of getting WLS for a very long time. RNY scares the crap out of me, therefore the lapband. My mom had her's done 12/2008 and is now about 90lbs down!!! She's amazing. She did that mostly without exercise because she had a bad hip. She had a hip replacement in October and is now just sailing along.

Guess I'm avoiding talking about me. Well, Like I said, I'm 40, on way too many meds, married to an absolutely wonderful man (4 years in April) that supports me no matter what I do (including making an ass out of myself sometimes), no kids, but haven't given up the ghost yet on that. My eggs aren't all hardboiled! :o)

I work as a medical assistant in a family practice office. I spent the last 4 1/2 years working in occupational health. So it's an interesting switch! I'm also in school for nursing. I used to be a helpdesk analyst until my job was sent overseas. I went back to school for this and figured I'm not stopping til I hit a master's degree. Long road, but not giving up!!! :o)

So... the surgery. I'm freaked out a little. I'm still wrapping up all the pre-req's for having it. But will be done in time. I'm kind of doing Optifast right now, but as usual not sticking to it very well. I try.

I guess I'm just here for the same reasons you all are. To know that there are people out there like me.

Is there anyone that had lapband that started out over 400lbs? How are you now? Any problems?

I'll take responses from ANYONE!!! Help me be less freaked out!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::smile2::scared2::confused::cursing:

Michele

Hello Michele, My surgery date is 2/19 & I can't wait. Have you joined Bandtalk.com it's a chat room. It has been a blessing for me, a lot go good info & information. It has really helped me a lot with some of my questions. Please join if you haven't. I'm 49 (50 in July)5'7 290lbs & have always had to watch my weight. I have always been very active but since I've gotten FATTER I have a hard time walking with my husband & dogs. My feet & legs kill me. PLus I stand a lot a work & do a lot of walking.At first my husband didn't want me to do this but we have talked about it & now he is very supportive. Let's keep in touch & we can support each other. The best thing that people have told me is listen to what the doctor tells you & don't drink Fluid when eating. Keep in touch talk to you soon

Izzie

Hi There-

First off do look for teh support group for those banding in Feb 2010 - just scroll down you'll find it. So, very, very helpful to get adfvice and share with those at the same level as you.

I had surgery dec 15th you can see by my ticker when i started the process i was 378, i'm proud to say I'm almost down 50lbs and its just been so great. Just a little more than half that loss is post op.

There is also a mentor/buddy thread on here with great wonderful folks who have been in your shoes.

Keep coming back and check out those success stories, it so reassuring to 'talk' with others. There is also a chat room which I have been in a couple of times to ask questions I needed answers to righ now!

Good luck in your journey.

t

Thank you to both of you for posting!!! Tina... Especially thanks for posting! Most of the people that I saw here that were closer to my weight are mostly guys. I mean, I'm still new to the site, so not a whole lot of spelunking yet, but for the most part so far. Not that I can't get inspiration from a man's weight loss, far from it, but let's face it... men and women in all things experience and face things differently.

It's taken all this time now, but I'm finally getting my head wrapped around what having this surgery means. I'm still trying to say goodbye to some foods. I know that post surgery that you can still have a lot (well... eventually) but I'm an all or nothing kind of girl. Once I get something in my mind as well that I'm done with it, I am done with it. Just ask my ex-boyfriends!!! LOL!

Well... I will be posting and reading so again thank you to both of you!!! :thumbup:)

Michele :thumbup:

I've spent some time in Hamilton; I miss my visits to the East coast!

I was close to 300 pounds when I started this journey; not over 400, but still more than many people I see posting here sometimes. There are plenty of people who started off at higher weights, though. Don't worry, you're not alone :smile2:

We are in the same boat. My surgery set to be in the next month. Just keep your head up. I am over 500lbs and starting. I know a few people that have done it. Men and Women around our size, and it has changed their lives. Its hard to say goodbye to food for me as well. We just have to not get discouraged and pick up the next day.:smile2:

I was just banded last friday and I was very nervous too. All the way up till the moment i walked into the surgical suite. But when I was being prepped I just prayed that God give me peace that I could handle this and a peaceful calm feeling came over me before I went to sleep. When I woke up from surgery I felt the same...just very peaceful. Maybe this might be good for you but earlier than I asked for some peace. If you rely on that higher power, I think use it. If you don't, then search within and pull from your own strength. Look how far you've come to get to this point! I'm proud of you even though we don't know each other. Look how far you've come :unsure:

You all are awesome! Thank you so much for posting here! I'm actually starting to feel a little more relaxed about it as I read other's stories. It's quite encouraging.

:unsure:

Hello Michele, This is going to be a life style change for all of us. It will be hard giving up some of the foods that I love but if it means being able to tie my shoes, walking my dogs, buying fat cloths (size24) it will be worth it all. Just to feel good & to be happy with myself I can't wait. My husband & myself just bought a camper & I can't wait to go out & enjoy the great out doors....Thanks everyone for your great support & being there, keep in touch

Izzie

How are you feeling? I have surgery 2/19 how did you do the 10 days before surgery mainly on broth, jello,soup? That will be hard but it is part of the process. What are some other things that you ate before the surgery.

Izzie

Hi There-

First off do look for teh support group for those banding in Feb 2010 - just scroll down you'll find it. So, very, very helpful to get adfvice and share with those at the same level as you.

I had surgery dec 15th you can see by my ticker when i started the process i was 378, i'm proud to say I'm almost down 50lbs and its just been so great. Just a little more than half that loss is post op.

There is also a mentor/buddy thread on here with great wonderful folks who have been in your shoes.

Keep coming back and check out those success stories, it so reassuring to 'talk' with others. There is also a chat room which I have been in a couple of times to ask questions I needed answers to righ now!

Good luck in your journey.

t

Keep up the great work, I love talking to all of you wonderful people

Izzie

I don't know if this was for me or not, I'm not in til the 17th so I'm not even 10 days before yet. You and I are being done very close together :biggrin:

How are you feeling? I have surgery 2/19 how did you do the 10 days before surgery mainly on broth,Jello,Soup? That will be hard but it is part of the process. What are some other things that you ate before the surgery.

Izzie