Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Foods Have Caused You to PB?

Hi, I'm new here. Am considering the band and am in the research phase. At this point, my biggest fear is the concept of PB/vomiting. I'm wondering what foods have caused this for those of you who are banded? I know all experiences are different and not everyone seems to have a different food they avoid. But just thought I'd ask...

Hi Amiefletch

PBs are personal to everyone. I can eat sandwiches if I'm careful, but toast is a no-no. at least toast with Peanut Butter...

chicken is really difficult for me, and hamberger meat is easy.

My DH is the exact opposite. He has no problem with toast or chicken (usually) but ground beef and bread do him in.

Hope this helps.

And from fill to fill you might find you can tolerate different foods in a whole new way.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your insight. I suppose I have to get over my fear of a PB to keep moving forward with the process!

It's not much more than baby spit, IMO. It's more of a bother than a pain. Now if you swallow too much too fast, then there can be major discomfort in your chest, you learn really quick not to do that.

Hmmm...PB? What doesn't make me PB if I am not careful? All meats (except ground beef sometimes), chicken, fish, shrimp. Very rarely can I do them...if they are shredded, then I can do it better. No breads, pastas, etc. I have tried Fettacine Alfredo two weeks ago for the first time and still ate about 1/3 of a cup but PB'd it too. Salads are good and so are Soups. I am back on Protein Shakes.< /p>

Mind you, I have a very tight fill. Most people can do a heck of alot more than I can. I prefer being tight as opposed to having freedom.

BTW....no candy tonight for me. Woohoo!!!

Sounds like how tight the fill is can make a lot of difference with PBs.

For those of you who are not so tight - do you think it helps you have fewer PBs?

Hmmm...PB? What doesn't make me PB if I am not careful? All meats (except ground beef sometimes), chicken, fish, shrimp. Very rarely can I do them...if they are shredded, then I can do it better. No breads, pastas, etc. I have tried Fettacine Alfredo two weeks ago for the first time and still ate about 1/3 of a cup but PB'd it too. Salads are good and so are Soups. I am back on Protein shakes.

Mind you, I have a very tight fill. Most people can do a heck of alot more than I can. I prefer being tight as opposed to having freedom.

BTW....no candy tonight for me. Woohoo!!!

I had my first fill on the 26th of October. I am noticing that I have to really take it slow with alot of foods that I tolerated before my fill. I love grapes had no problem but I have to go slow because of the belching, lol. I also cannot do rice at all. I am now experiencing a little discomfort with eggs. They have to be very over easy, almost runny now. LOL I have no problems with bread toasted or regular and I have tried macaroni with no prob. I PB'd once with rice. I thought I was dying, it hurt like hell. I try to be very careful I chew, chew, chew everything to GOO. I also take about 35 minutes to eat my meals. Usually after 25 minutes I am done. This Band is great. For the first time in my life I actually leave food on my plate. WHoo HOo

I've not PB'd yet, but I did have a food stick the other day. That HURT! It was a boiled egg. With a few sips of Water and some creative stretching it finally dropped through and the pain went away although I'm still a little sore.

Don't let the prospect of an occasional PB or stuck food prevent you from getting the band. It's not that big of a deal -- in fact it's part of what will make you successful as you learn to slow down and chew each bite carefully. Many of us morbidly obese folk had a tendency to wolf our food down, contributing to eating too much.

Good luck making your decision!

Scrambled eggs, lobster, scallops, haddock, raw pineapple, english peas, pizza dough..

BTW - PBing is NOT recommended.

If you PB on a daily or even weekly basis, this is a good sign you are either too tight, eating too fast, taking too large of bites or not chewing well enough. PBing on a regular basis is very risky for your band and your esophagus. No amount of weight loss can be worth the damage this vicious cycle of damage can cause in the long run. We are supposed to be eating hard Proteins, not soft foods to get around the band. If this is impossible, there is something not right about the band.

I can eat everything if I chew very carefully and not to fast. The faster I eat I have a problems. I am five weeks out and getting my first fill on friday. I hope this dose not change for me.

I (knock on wood...don't want to jinx myself) have not experienced the PBing thing yet. But, I have not tried to eat any of the things that I have heard could cause a problem. The only thing that I have eaten that has made me feel uncomfortable (like something was clogged) was turkey and some really gristly meatloaf (gross anyway). I stopped eating and a few minutes later the feeling went away.

I do have a question though....what is "sliming" or "the slimes"?

I was thinking about this thread today while eating deli meat on a chef salad. Knowing darn well in a matter of minutes that deli meat was coming back, sure enough it happened. I'd wait a few minutes take a little bite and then, here it comes.

Hellooooo, where's my sign, I knew it would happen, but I ate it anyway, errrrr.

Sliming to me is a variation of a pb, just a lot easier to get back up, welll ya asked.

breads are a definate no no well right now im way too tight. i cant eat turkey or mcdonalds fries or raw carrots i cant eat doughy Cookies.....

Pbing isnt that bad... its the vomit that sucks.. .Good luck!!!!

Kim