Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Second Thoughts

I had my surgery on Jan.22 2010 and I am seriously hoping I did the right thing. I am so nervous with the lap band in.I am worried that I will flip my port or make the band itself slip. Does that feeling ever go away? I also can feel the band inside me when I move sometimes..Does that go away too? ;)

I had mine Jan. 21 and am feeling the same way....plus I'm feeling HORRIBLE! Tons of nausea and so much pain from the gas. I sure hope I did the right thing! Anxious to hear from the other lap-band vets!

I feel the same way! I am sorry you feel this way but it helps so much to know I am not the only one. I got banded on 1/15. I just got home from my post op appt. The nurse I saw kind of blew off my concerns and feelings. I am scared about the position I sleep in and what foods on the mushies I should eat. And just about everything else worries me also. Did I do the right thing. I think so. I sure hope I know so in a few months! I really dont want to regret it. Good luck to all of you (us) lets keep in touch!

J

Hello!

I'm not a vet but wanted to let you know that the port discomfort will pass. It took about 3 months for me to stop feeling the port when I'd move a certain way or most often while lying down I would get this weird pain/sensation.

Now, I don't realize it's there unless I rub my hand over the site.

As for the gas pain - WALK. I would walk around my yard for 15-30 minutes (2-3 times a day). I know it's easier said than done but this will ease the pain you're experiencing.

Hang in there.

I was so down on myself and hard on myself right after I was banded. I wondered why I couldn't do this on my own. Had I done the right thing?

Once the scale started moving and I did as well that changed. It is amazing how much easier I can move these days. I work out at the gym almost daily. I feel so much better and I am so much healthier.

I know now this is the best decision I have ever made!

All these thoughts and feelings are absolutely NORMAL this early on. Honestly, the first couple of weeks for me were the hardest with the meal progression. Not only that, fears of port flipping, band slippage, pouch stretching along with the protein/water requirements--OMG, Calgon LOL! Believe me when they say, this is a lifestyle change, that to me was an understatement even though I had 3 months of nutrition classes, support groups and preparation, until it really happens, I don't think you really know what to expect.

Looking back, I would not change a SINGLE thing. I mean, I do not yet have restriction (only had one fill) and am due for my second fill next month, but I am still eating much smaller portions and healthier (like looking at the labels in the grocery store before putting anything in the cart). When you're able to exercise, you will see the scale move and have some great non-scale victories that you can be proud of. It's hard to see now because you're in the thick of it, but my mantra through this whole thing is "keep your eyes on the prize". You can do this and 2-3 months from now you will be telling everyone you would do this again in a heartbeat--it's so worth it.

Hang in there and take advantage of the great support this board is!!!!

When I first had my band before my first fill, I had no restriction at all! After I started eating real food again I even started to gain weight! HOLY CRAP! What have I done? I thought I had signed on for another failed diet, only I paid $10,000 for this one! Then at 5 weeks I had my first fill and things settled down. Now everything is going well and I have lost 29 lbs. This morning I got up and put on a pair of slacks that I havent worn in 5 years! I can pull my blue jeans off without unbuttoning them.

Dont worry too much, remember, legally your doctor has to warn you about everything, no matter how small the chance of it happening. Dont let the bad thoughts distract you. You will get use to the band and the port and stop thinking of them as soon as you start getting fills, just work on getting your Protein and getting ready. Good luck!

JULIANS MOM... You should be very proud of your self.. 1 fill.. almost to your goal.. That is incredible! Congrats to you!

Everything you are feeling is normal. This band is a great tool if you use it properly. Try not to get down on yourself. Time will heal your wounds! Make sure to get your fills, eat properly, Proteins, and greens, and get outside and go walking! Every day..

Stay focused, and positive. It will happen.

I felt the same way after my surgery. I was banded 1-4-10. I couldn't believe I had actually gone through with it. I am losing weight though which was my goal. I am thankful I had the courage to see it through. Seeing the scale move every few days is awesome. I haven't even had my first fill yet. I can't wait to see the band in action in my life.

POSITIVE THOUGHTS...POSITIVE THOUGHTS...POSITIVE THOUGHTS!

Keep positive thoughts and only speak the positive... as with most things frame of mind is essential to the healing process and the journey you've begun. You can do it, it does get easier...around week 3 you should stop the urge to want to hold your stomach and "feeling" your band... everything you're going through is normal.

Hey friends step back and relax. all your thoughts and feelings are over taking your real issue here. I think you want to be healthy. so knock it off these feelings are normal and will soon pass. I have had my band for over a year and yes I am in the 2 to 5% that have had the trouble with a band slip am I upset about it. Well not really as there is only one thing I can do and that was fix the dam thing and go through the whole process again. so here I am in bandster Hell again. by the way I am gaining weight right now I am pissed. I am healing fast this time around as i am in better shape this time. I took 3 days off work. Somewhat sore but good to go. I am on my feet for 10 hours. I can feel the port. big deal. now it is 20 days since the surgery and I can't feel a thing.

Glad I did it again. I love my Dr's staff. My Dr. is great too.

I had my surgery on Jan.22 2010 and I am seriously hoping I did the right thing. I am so nervous with the LAP-BAND® in.I am worried that I will flip my port or make the band itself slip. Does that feeling ever go away? I also can feel the band inside me when I move sometimes..Does that go away too? :confused:

I had my surgery on 12/9. I am concerned also about my lap band. I feel no difference in my ability to eat. I am to get my first fill next week and I hope it starts controling how big my opening will be and I will able to get some help on how much I can eat.

I agree with everyone that it sounds like your band is too tight. Be sure to check out the docs in your area and make an informed decision. Good Luck. :smile2:

Many of us go through a "my God, what have I done?" phase immediately after surgery. Hang in there, think positive thoughts and you'll find that in a few months, you'll almost certainly be one of the happy bandsters saying "Best thing I ever did!"

Have a look through some of the "Would you do it again?" polls. You'll find an overwhelming majority of people saying "YES, YES, YES!!" in response to that question and you can't get a much better recommendation than that.

The first few weeks are an emotional rollercoaster, mixed with all sorts of physical changes (surgery, anaesthetic, new diet, changed sleep patterns, changed exercise patterns, etc, etc) that impact upon your head space. It will take some time to settle down but it will be worth it in the long run.

I had my surgery on Jan.22 2010 and I am seriously hoping I did the right thing. I am so nervous with the LAP-BAND® in.I am worried that I will flip my port or make the band itself slip. Does that feeling ever go away? I also can feel the band inside me when I move sometimes..Does that go away too? :confused:

Yes and yes. I'm not quite 3 months post op and I am rarely aware of my port any more.