Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whould I get fills on a Monday or a Friday? Does it matter?

Hi all! I just got banded on Jan 4, 2010, and am looking forward to my first fill. My question is, do you find it is better to be filled on a Friday, so that you have the weekend to do some "adjusting" before returning to work on Monday, or are Monday fills ok? I'd like your opinions. I have the option of doing either, however, my physician has two offices where he does fills, one that does them the fourth Friday of the month, and one that does them the first Monday of the month. I am anxious to get my first fill, and if I choose the Monday office, I can get it on Feb 1. :cursing: If I choose the Friday office (which is a little closer driving wise), I will have to wait until Feb 26--almost another whole month. :scared2: Do you find that you need the weekend to "recover" from a fill? Thanks for your thoughts on the matter!!

Edited by dlsmom1
typo

Hey DLS, just from my past experience (I was banded in July of 09) and I have had a few fills. Most of them have went great but the worst ever was when I had it done over a holiday weekend so there was 3 or 4 days that I had to wait to go back to the doc. The first day it was fine but the day after it felt like it suddenly got tighter on its own so it was hard to get and keep the fluids down and food was impossible to get down. The best advice I can give you is to at least for the first couple of fills until you know how your body should adjust after a fill is to go on a monday. It really is miserable to go all weekend feeling that bad. Some of the other long time bandsters may be able to offer you better advice but I can only speak from personal experience. Good luck on your journey...its the best thing I have ever done for myself!:cursing:

I've only had 1 fill but could have gone back to work as soon as they were finished if needed, it was no big deal. I would go with whichever is more convenient (okay, seriously I'd go for the one I could do quicker...but it sounded better to say whichever was more convenient) GOOD LUCK!

I went on my lunch hour. I was fine. I had chicken broth all day and crystal lite. Then you have time at home to see if everything is OK or if you need a refill.

I have to go with Melinda. Do it on Monday. That gives you the rest of the week to adjust and go back in if you need to. It is just a cushion of insurance. Although when I was overfilled once, I waited a week before going back in.

thanks Melinda - that makes sense!!!

Thanks all! You have really helped make up my mind! I will definitely be doing my fills on Mondays - YEA!!!!! One week till my first fill!!!!! :cursing:

Definatly do the Monday option. I have had several fills and I am just fine right after. No big deal. But on a Friday, if you have problems then you are in trouble. Yes, choose the Monday.

your first few fills won't affect you too much but when you get closer to your sweet spot you should stay on liquids for a few days. I get my fills on Saturdays and I hate it because then my whole weekend is a write off. No point in meeting with my friends for drinks etc if I can't drink ( I am almost at my sweet spot so I get 3 days f liquids after a fill). I would love to have fills on Mondays but I live 2 hours from my doctor.

OK - a couple more questions - do you all eat normally as you have been before getting a fill? - does it matter? Also, do you go all liquid for a day or two after getting a fill? Thanks for all the help!

My surgeon tells me to go the rest of the day on liquids but just for the day of the fill, other surgeons tell their patients up to 3 days. Your surgeon will tell you what he wants from his patients, if he doesnt just ask him...he does the fills so often that they are second nature to him and his nurses as well....they forget that we are new to this. Just follow what your doctor tells you to do and you will be fine. Best of Luck! BTW... just in case you are wondering, the fills dont hurt, at least they have never hurt me. I dont know if that is just great luck or a great surgeon and nurse!

My first two fills ( 5cc and then 8 more cc added into my 11cc band) my doctor told me to eat mushies and take it easy with food for 2 days. If mushies were too hard to eat then he said I should go on liquids for the rest of the day.

My next fill bringing me to 9cc, my doctor told me to go on liquids for 3 days and then mushies and then normal food. My last fill bringing me to 10cc my doctor said the same thing as I had done after my last fill.

When you get closer to your sweet spot I think it is important to be on liquids after a fill

OK - a couple more questions - do you all eat normally as you have been before getting a fill? - does it matter? Also, do you go all liquid for a day or two after getting a fill? Thanks for all the help!

Hi There!

I eat normally before a fill and then do liquids for the remainder of that day. Then back to normal the next day. My surgeon is pretty conservative on fills.