Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No restriction - still hungry - eating too much?!

Thank you my bandster twin! LOL. I have had TREMENDOUS willpower. More than I ever thought I would. I have successfully "dieted" for years. Going 6-8-12 months without snacking, eating small portions, not cheating but then BAM I give in to temptation thinking "oh this one bag of chips tonight because I'm feeling bad won't hurt me" or "we are on vacation!" etc., and before you know it, right back up with the weight again.

If I could live through the two week liquid diet and not die, then I knew I could successfully live with this band. It is just so much to learn that you can't wrap your mind around PRE surgery.

I was baned on the same day! COngrats!!! YOU ARE DOING SOOOO WELLL!!!!! AMAZING!!! SOund slike you have had lots of will power in progress and I think it is just incredible. I had my first fill on 1/14/10 and felt some restriction for about one week and now not a much. I guess we just try and get the right amount and it is all so different for each individual. If no one has told you, you are just making such great progress, KEEP IT UP!

I am feeling MUCH fuller with smaller amounts of food than pre surgery that is FOR SURE. Before surgery I could go out to dinner and eat an appetizer, full dinner, and dessert, plus drink 2-3 drinks. Now when we go to dinner I can't eat 1/2 of my food, only about 1/4. No appetizer or dessert, and of course no drinks. I have started ordering Water though because the waitresses look at you like you have three heads when you say "nothing to drink" and they try and talk you into Water anyway so to save the hassle I just order water, plus I thought if I choked it would be good to have! LOL

I feel satiated at all my meals no matter what I eat. Because I have to chew so much I want to get to the point that the meal is over. Food does not taste so good when you have to pulverize it in your mouth. As for calories, I'm still stuck on what to do to increase. I don't want to eat fattening food as I am eating healthy now, but if I bump up my portions it will be too much. Here is a typical day for me:

one egg beater with some fat free cheese 50 cal

two slices of turkey bacon 60 cal

Protein shake 200 cal

chicken salad with reduce fat mayo 150 cal

wheat crackers 80 cal

1/2 an apple 50 cal

reduced fat string cheese 60 cal

handful of almonds 70 cal

Ground turkey burger w reduced fat cheese (no bun) 80 cal

10 sweet potato fries (baked) 50 cal

steamed broccoli with butter spray 40 cal

IF I have a snack at night I will have sugar free cool whip inside two chocolate wafers and frozen (homemade ice cream sandwich) which is 50 cal or sugar free choc pudding which is 80 cal or sugar free Jello which is 60 cal

I am getting a fill tomorrow, we'll see how it goes!!!

I was banded on 11/20 and I have only lost 14lbs. I got a post surgery infection at the port incision that is still open/healing. I did get a fill at the end of January (3.5cc on top of the .5cc initially in the band) so I am at 4cc. I am also not feeling "full" or restriction although I am eating far less than I used to be able to eat. I know I am eating the "right" things etc because I helped my husband through the whole process a year ago and he has lost 124lbs since Dec 2008! I am hoping to get another fill in 2wks when I see my surgeon again. I go every 2wks because of the infection (on my 3rd round of antibiotics, now trying a new one). Its very disheartening and frustrating. I feel like I will be the one person in the world that the Lap Band doesnt work for! I see my husbands sucess and wish I could just get a tiny bit of that. By 1 month out, he had lost 30lbs, by 2 months 50 and by 8 months he was down 80lbs!

I was banded on 11/20 and I have only lost 14lbs. I got a post surgery infection at the port incision that is still open/healing. I did get a fill at the end of January (3.5cc on top of the .5cc initially in the band) so I am at 4cc. I am also not feeling "full" or restriction although I am eating far less than I used to be able to eat. I know I am eating the "right" things etc because I helped my husband through the whole process a year ago and he has lost 124lbs since Dec 2008! I am hoping to get another fill in 2wks when I see my surgeon again. I go every 2wks because of the infection (on my 3rd round of antibiotics, now trying a new one). Its very disheartening and frustrating. I feel like I will be the one person in the world that the LAP-BAND®®® doesnt work for! I see my husbands sucess and wish I could just get a tiny bit of that. By 1 month out, he had lost 30lbs, by 2 months 50 and by 8 months he was down 80lbs!

I know you've heard this, but I'll say it anyway. Don't compare yourself to someone else, especially a man. Having more muscle mass, they will generally lose at a higher rate. It also sounds as if he had more to lose, so he'd lose faster than you.

Being on antibiotics? Yeah, that will slow weight loss down...and also lessen the effect of birth control pills (just ask my neice! 2 months preggers).

You ARE losing. Keep focused on that! 14 lbs in 2 1/2 months is great! It is a long haul, not a short sprint!

Best wishes!

I know you've heard this, but I'll say it anyway. Don't compare yourself to someone else, especially a man. Having more muscle mass, they will generally lose at a higher rate. It also sounds as if he had more to lose, so he'd lose faster than you.

Being on antibiotics? Yeah, that will slow weight loss down...and also lessen the effect of birth control pills (just ask my neice! 2 months preggers).

You ARE losing. Keep focused on that! 14 lbs in 2 1/2 months is great! It is a long haul, not a short sprint!

Best wishes!

Thanks Denise. I do know I shouldnt compare my results to his (especially with men losing easier than women). Ididnt know that antibiotics slow weight loss down though! that would really explain a lot. I was on them from 12/9-22 and then again 1/8-22 for the bactrim and now the doxicycline for 10 days, so pretty much the entire time. I'll be glad when I am done and healed! Dont have to worry about the b/c part though, I got Essure done after #4 was born and dh got a vas. too so we are all set in that department. ALthough PG is the only way I lose weight! My surgeon told me to get dh working on tuesday when I told him that!

OH & yes, dh started much higher than me, 365lbs at 5'9" tall. I was 260lbs and 5'2" :crying: Now he weights less than me :scared2: Today he was 239lbs, buy boy does he look awesome! ANd he's no longer diabetic (it fixed itself within about 3mo of surgery)

Edited by rowynne

Why would being on antibiotics slow down weight loss? I have never heard that before.

Hello there. Care to keep in touch with myself? Im just having issues that I cant seem to get fixed. Im waiting for a response from the surgeon who did my surgery as I type. My surgery was 9/11/09 and no loss yet......I have yahoo and msn if you would like to talk

Why would being on antibiotics slow down weight loss? I have never heard that before.

Antibiotics mess with the natural flora in the digestive tract which can cause bloating, and affect the scale.

If you do a search of doxycyline and weight gain you'll find several forums of people listing many pounds of gain in short periods of time. It is usually temporary, but that doesn't mean it isn't frustrating at the time.

"Back in the day" I was a Weight Watchers leader for a couple of years. I can't tell you how many times I was at the scales with someone who'd had a gain, and told me they had been on program the entire week. Upon further discussion I found they had been on antibiotics, it is something we were trained to discuss. Sure it is anecdotal and the people could have been lying, but as often as I saw this occur...I don't think everyone was.

I just joined this site and read your post. I thought you were talking about me! A friend of mine had this surgery 15 months ago and has lost 80 pounds. She tells me it took her 3 fills before she really felt restriction. So there's hope. It's very hard for me to do the Portion Control. I like your idea about only putting the right amount on your plate and when it's gone, it's gone. I just feel hungry most of the time; I don't have a good sense of when I'm full. That's what I wanted the restriction for! It sounds like you're doing the part you can do, though. Are you exercising? I was going great guns during January but have fallen off this month. That's probably the key to the whole thing.

What many of you are feeling is normal. I was banded on 12.16.09 and have had two fills. Before my second fill I had no restriction and relied solely on willpower. I was just thankful I didn't gain any weight. Until you reach true restriction you will be hungry. I agree with some of the previous posts that healthy snacking is okay. Buy some Greek yogart (lots of protein) or low fat string cheese. These kept me going through this period. Many people call this time period Bandster Hell, with good reason!

I also feel the same way I was banded Oct 2009 no pre-op diet required and as of today I have only lost 12 lbs. I was really counting on the restriction to loose the weight I called the nurse to discuss this with her and she said I may not feel restriction until the 5th or 6th fill. I have only had to 2 fills with a total of 4cc. and she said the doctor was being fairly aggressive with my fills. I didn't realize I was going to have to reley this much on will power. I feel thats why I am overweight is because I don't have the willpower. I am glad I have the band but I have accepted that this is going to take a long time to reach goal. Lisa :smile:

The band is definitely NOT fast weight loss like a bypass patient. And the time before good restriction is reached, yes, it is willpower that gets us through.

I don't know about you all, but my willpower sucks, thus I needed WLS. Don't beat yourselves up if you are not losing at a pace you feel you should be if you are not at restriction yet.

Reading the posts on this thread, I am seeing an average of about a pound a week for many of the posters. Band patients with good restriction can expect 1-2 pounds lost per week. So you are doing great. Yes, when you have restriction it will get easier, but not necessarily faster.

I did not feel good restriction until my third fill, and that one put me over the top and I needed some taken out.

Patience! You'll get there. :smile:

I also feel the same way I was banded Oct 2009 no pre-op diet required and as of today I have only lost 12 lbs. I was really counting on the restriction to loose the weight I called the nurse to discuss this with her and she said I may not feel restriction until the 5th or 6th fill. I have only had to 2 fills with a total of 4cc. and she said the doctor was being fairly aggressive with my fills. I didn't realize I was going to have to reley this much on will power. I feel thats why I am overweight is because I don't have the willpower. I am glad I have the band but I have accepted that this is going to take a long time to reach goal. Lisa :smile:

At your next fill appointment ask for an aggressive fill. Comunicate with your doctors and nurses. Tell them you don't have restriction! I started with an empty band and on my first fill I got 3 ccs in a 10 band. NO RESTRICTION!!! So on my next fill I said I wanted an aggressive fill and was granted one. She added 2 more ccs. I don't think I'm at my "sweet spot" but definately am having to watch how I eat everything. I'm much more careful and eat less!!! Next time I want another 1 cc. Call your doctor. Communicate with him/her. Best wishes!!!

WAIT!! you got banned less that 3 months ago and you have already lost a total of 65lbs!!?!? that is incredible. Do not put yourself down.

I do suggest you increase you calories and Protein intake. I eat 4-5 small meals/snacks a day...i have a crazy "stay at home with kids" kinda life and i almost never have the time or opportunity to sit at the table and eat.

I have been loosing very slowly and that is partly because im not keeping to my new eating habbints 100% .Even if a screw up one day i get up the next starting from scratch!

I am almost 5 months post op and have lost about 32lbs...still have about 80lbs to go. My 10CC band is filled to 5CC and i am not feeling any restriction.I try to keep temptation away but its hard when i spend so much time in the kitchen making meals/snacks for my family.

good luck to you...and remember that "slow and steady is better"

It is really great to hear all the encouragement I also decided to buy 2 cook books that focus on eating 200 calories at time several times throught out the day I really like them alot most of the recipes are single serving which is great because my hb and daughter are really picky eaters and I love everthing. They are by Lisa Lillien Titled Hungry Girl and they have been life saving for me. They have a really great website to hungry-girl.com I really encouge everyone to check it out you will not regret it. I heard about this on the Rachel Ray Show it was very impressive. I bought mine at Target the first one is tiltled Hungry Girl 200 under 200 and the other one is Hungry Girl Recipes and survival strategies for guilt free eating in the real world. I love everything so far and nothing is time consuming to make. Thanks again Lisa.