Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goal Weight Too Thin?!

Hey All-

I went to see my PCP today, and we were discussing my progress w/ the weight loss. My goal weight came up. My goal weight is 145 pounds (that will put me at a healthy BMI for my height). He told me that 145 pounds is too skinny. On the other hand- my surgeon will not tell me what I "should" way. His office just doesn't do that.

Should I rethink the weight? Did my PCP tell me this b/c I'm coming up on a year for my band, and is worried I won't make my goal weight, and doesn't want me upset?

Has anyone else been told by their doctor that their goal weight is too thin????

P.S. my apologies if I shouldn't of stuck this thread here, I was at a loss on where to place it.

Thanks!

They have tables/charts that use ur height to determine who much you should weigh. I guess you can go by that if you feel confortable with it. My dr says I will get down to about 130-140. I think this may be to small although if i use the table/chart that is about the weight i should be. If you dont have health problems then i guess you should go by what you like and this may chnge as you loss more weight.

I am 5'5" at 258 and have a goal weight of 165. My nutritionist told me that is lower than the average weight loss expected from the band....meaning I won't get there.

Now, that is not the "healthy" weight for me...165 is still high.

Of course, with added effort on my part, that much weight loss is possible...blah blah blah.

Maybe your Dr. was confusing the two weights - what you should weight vs what is accomplish-able with the band??

Just a thought.

I am 5'5" at 258 and have a goal weight of 165. My nutritionist told me that is lower than the average weight loss expected from the band....meaning I won't get there.

Now, that is not the "healthy" weight for me...165 is still high.

Of course, with added effort on my part, that much weight loss is possible...blah blah blah.

Maybe your Dr. was confusing the two weights - what you should weight vs what is accomplish-able with the band??

Just a thought.

You nut is a nut - she isn't very encouraging is she- I think she's full of BS

My starting weight was 250 - I was 52 when banded - lost 105 lbs in 1 yr - 145 normal bmi for a 5'4 person - got down to 138

It's up to you on how much you want to lose and if you get there or not - statistic say that we will only lose 50 to 60% of our excess weight -These statistic are based on our mental issues with food - to me it said that a fat chick can't do it - we aren't capable of making this a healthy lifetime lifestyle change in our eating.. That was enough for me - I choose to prove those statistic's wrong and I did !

I have lost 100% of my excess weight in 1 yrs time

By the chart's I should weight 120-130 - I am happy at 138 and really feel that 130 would be to thin at my age - hell I'm in a size 4 - that's good enough for me ..

Twilight, How tall are you? I'm 5'5 and 145 is my goal weight too. I was thinking to day, the last time I weighted 145 my 18 yr old daughter was a baby. Maybe as I get closer to my goal I will change my mind. Maybe 150? Who knows. I'm really going to try for 145. About 2-3 years ago, I got really close. About 160, and I was feeling pretty good.

I think only you can decide what your goal weight should be. Use the BMI as a guide.

I think its BS too. I think there's some credible reasons for not filling people with unrealistic hopes, and that in lots of cases, very overweight people just never manage to get to "normal" weights, but it IS something within your control and it can be done.

As for "too skinny", well I'm surprised you cant hear me scream from Australia. I absolutely HATE that one. Too skinny for what? Normal clothes, healthy body? I'm currently at about 150lb at 5ft 10 and I absolutely am NOT skin and bones, I'm fairly tall and lean, but i have curves and i still have some excess fat. So I find it hard to imagine 145 too skinny for nearly anybody as I'm so tall as it is.

I think in this world of everybody being either obese or porky, people have lost sight of what a normal healthy person is supposed to look like. People freak at bones and they think big huge breasts are a sign of being sexy, when most of the time, apart from a few well blessed people, big huge breasts are a sign of being FAT, and they go along with fat bums, fat tummies, fat legs and bad blood chemistry! We are designed to have collarbones, knees and elbows, wrists and jaws that show through our skin and it is not sick or unhealthy when that is the case.