Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 4 weeks since surgery...Can I have a freakin drink??

So the only advice I have for YOU is to ask your Doctor to remove the stick out of your ass :scared2:

:thumbup::lol::thumbup::lol:

i cant get over spartans post.. If we all could just give up Drinking and eating bad stuff we wont need to have surgery...

Please.. Go and have a drink.. You are allowed to cheat everyone once in a while, I know NO ONE who eats perfectly everyday for their WHOLE LIFE!

Really? You can't get over it? LOL

Look, at 4 weeks postop, there's little to no restriction. There just AREN'T the brakes yet in place.

It's the time when we should be focusing on adopting healthier new habits---which, sure, will be breached from time to time. The time to breach those new habits is once they are firmly in place---not right out of the starting gate.

Yes, life will involve veering off plan occasionally. Often deliberately, and usually with absolutely no adverse consequence.

But why NOT take advantage of this time to master the learning curve. After you've got it down, THEN you can play around a little.

Really--is a drink all that important? So important that you "can't get over" the advice not to drink so early in the game?

Because if that's the case, you may well be one of the ones posting, in a year, that you just can't get over how you've only lost 10 pounds since you were banded.

Re: absorption of alcohol. Our stomach capacities are smaller. Alcohol will therefore take the place of other foods and fluids our bodies need. It's dehydrating, so it's important to alternate it with nonalcoholic Fluid, and to put the brakes on early so that you can give your BODY what it NEEDS--not your MIND what it WANTS.

And no, the enhanced intoxication isn't psychological. Tolerance is reduced when intake is so low.

If we are going to look at this surgery in "perfect world" terms, of course we would not drink. Unfortunately most of us don't live in the perfect world. I was a beer drinker before surgery and was told that was a definite "no no" SO I have given it up. On the occasion that I do go out I do have a vodka and cranberry or two. I have not felt any real difference in the way the alcohol affects me. My biggest concern about drinking is the potential loss of my good judgement and that is why I don't drink often or a lot. I socialize with several close friends and I would feel so "left out" if I didn't allow myself a drink or two every once in awhile. One of my big conversations with my nutrtionist before surgery is what I would drink for alcohol after the surgery! She was helping me figure out what to substitute for the beer. Now, she was not encouraging me to drink but she understood that we can't change everything.

I do understand that some people substitute the alcohol for the food addiction and that should be a big concern for everyone. We need to make sure we don't substitute one addiction (food) for another, alcohol, shopping, gambling,etc, WIth that said have a drink in moderation and enjoy!

I dunno...at four weeks, I won't even have added vegetables back yet. Adding vodka seems a tad premature LOL

(Better than broccoli, maybe...but premature.)

If I could eat popcorn, I would pop a bowl and watch this play out........so entertaining! LOL!

I got the band to use as a tool for helping me. I know others have reasons for getting it that differ from mine. I do drink on special days but hey, I own 2 liquor stores!

This is a life time commitment and it's a life style change. For me, it's healthy to make choices that I can live with. I can't live with never having a glass of wine. I can't live with being overweight any longer. I think it's called balance and I'm willing to bet the farm that I can have both.

For those of you who can go with out any sweets, and any booze, good for you! I'm not here to judge who will get to goal and who won't. I wish you all the best.

first drink i had was after 3 weeks - couldn't finish the whole glass. so try it....see how you feel....your body will definitely tell you when to stop.

Just thought I would see what kind a reaction I get when I tell everyone that I had a Protein infused peach daiquiri 4 days post op!!! HeeHee!! It was fabulous! But you know what, I only had one...moderation :-)

If we are going to look at this surgery in "perfect world" terms, of course we would not drink. Unfortunately most of us don't live in the perfect world. I was a beer drinker before surgery and was told that was a definite "no no" SO I have given it up. On the occasion that I do go out I do have a vodka and cranberry or two. I have not felt any real difference in the way the alcohol affects me. My biggest concern about drinking is the potential loss of my good judgement and that is why I don't drink often or a lot. I socialize with several close friends and I would feel so "left out" if I didn't allow myself a drink or two every once in awhile. One of my big conversations with my nutrtionist before surgery is what I would drink for alcohol after the surgery! She was helping me figure out what to substitute for the beer. Now, she was not encouraging me to drink but she understood that we can't change everything.

I do understand that some people substitute the alcohol for the food addiction and that should be a big concern for everyone. We need to make sure we don't substitute one addiction (food) for another, alcohol, shopping, gambling,etc, WIth that said have a drink in moderation and enjoy!

I got the same drill about post-op no carbonated beverages sodas and beer. I will still have an occasional diet orange/root beer soda left out for hours to eliminate (most) of the fizz and mix with lots of ice. Still get the taste minus the bubbles. I still miss my Seltzer Water badly! As for beer, a Coors Light draft beer drank and sipped very slowly is not going to cause band erosion or pouch expansion or stretching if its kept to a minimum. John Daly the PGA Golfer was a two case a day beer guzzler has lost 110 lbs in 11 months with his Lap Band AP and (still) sips a beer now and then a drinks lots of Diet Coke despite being instructed not to. Nobody is going to be the perfect compliant patient. We will progress and regress depending on out will power and what tolerance we have to our beloved past foods and beverages that led us to our Obese state of being.

I think that if you don't want advice, you shouldn't ask.

It's tacky to get "advice" that isn't what you want to hear, and insult the person or persons who disagree with you. But some people thrive on drama, apparently.

Whatever. Ignoring the rules early on is a recipe for disaster. I agree with Spartan; lets see a year from now how well doing what you want works for you; it didn't seem to keep your weight down preband (it doesn't for most of us) but the band is magic, right?

Personally for me, with drinking comes eating. Drinking gives me the munchies, so if you are like me DONT do it. Because after you drink you just don't care and you start eating that is where the problem would begin for me.

I think that if you don't want advice, you shouldn't ask.

It's tacky to get "advice" that isn't what you want to hear, and insult the person or persons who disagree with you. But some people thrive on drama, apparently.

Whatever. Ignoring the rules early on is a recipe for disaster. I agree with Spartan; lets see a year from now how well doing what you want works for you; it didn't seem to keep your weight down preband (it doesn't for most of us) but the band is magic, right?

I wanted advice. Even if it was not what i wanted to hear i would have accepted it and been thankful for it. What I didn't appreciate about Spartans responses was that he or she or whatever the hell it is was rude and was making a personal attack. If someone asked for advice and i felt that they were exhibiting destructive behavior I would definitely step in and give my input in an encouraging and positive way. Spartan is cynical and negative and i don't like those kinds of people. I am a happy person and i just feel sorry for him because there may be some underlying circumstances that we know nothing about. But i would never judge....i come on this website to learn and to offer information on my personal experiences. Not try to make someone else feel like they are failing. I'm my case I know that i am already a success so negativity doesn't affect me. But what if words such as spartans really put someone else over the edge when it wasnt necessary? I would just never be mean to someone like that. I'm treat others the way i want to be treated. Maybe Spartan wants to be treated like a Douche bag.....Who knows?

I think its funny all the controversy over one Cape Cod. For all the time spend updating and reading this post, I bet if we had all spent that time on the treadmill instead we could've all had a Cape Cod and burnt up the calories in it too. LOL

Ultimately, though, we all have to fashion a 'lifestyle' utilizing the band as best we can as individuals. My dietician has a lot of advice, but ultimately I have to decide what I am willing to do permanently for my lifestyle. In some cases, that means I embrace something more than it is even recommended. I've been able to get in more Protein, more Water, and more exercise than what has been recommended. I have eliminated carbonation, caffeine and artificial sweeteners as recommended even though I didn't think I could at first. I have cut way back on alcohol, but for me, this is something I want to keep in my lifestyle in moderation.

I think everybody has something they refuse to give up entirely or refuse to embrace (like exercise or drinking water). I think on the long list of behaviors that could slow your weightloss, drinking one Cape Cod in a month is pretty minor.

I have been a 2 cup a day Gourmet coffee drinker for a lifetime......(not Starbucks uggggg). Those 2 cups of dark rich bliss for Breakfast in the morning and I`m good till the following morning. For some odd reason which I still don`t quite understand, all caffeinated products are added to the forbidden list ae: beer and carbonated beverages. How anyone can substitute Decaf coffee for real coffee with its horrible chemical aftertaste is unbelievable. I`ll sip my 2 cups of Joe and enjoy, or never sip coffee again.

I think its funny all the controversy over one Cape Cod. For all the time spend updating and reading this post, I bet if we had all spent that time on the treadmill instead we could've all had a Cape Cod and burnt up the calories in it too. LOL

Ultimately, though, we all have to fashion a 'lifestyle' utilizing the band as best we can as individuals. My dietician has a lot of advice, but ultimately I have to decide what I am willing to do permanently for my lifestyle. In some cases, that means I embrace something more than it is even recommended. I've been able to get in more Protein, more Water, and more exercise than what has been recommended. I have eliminated carbonation, caffeine and artificial sweeteners as recommended even though I didn't think I could at first. I have cut way back on alcohol, but for me, this is something I want to keep in my lifestyle in moderation.

I think everybody has something they refuse to give up entirely or refuse to embrace (like exercise or drinking water). I think on the long list of behaviors that could slow your weightloss, drinking one Cape Cod in a month is pretty minor.

Just wanted to add that I like the way said that. As I read this thread, it's what I was thinking, but I wouldn't have been able to say it as well. :unsure:

I have been a 2 cup a day Gourmet coffee drinker for a lifetime......(not Starbucks uggggg). Those 2 cups of dark rich bliss for breakfast in the morning and I`m good till the following morning. For some odd reason which I still don`t quite understand, all caffeinated products are added to the forbidden list ae: beer and carbonated beverages. How anyone can substitute Decaf coffee for real coffee with its horrible chemical aftertaste is unbelievable. I`ll sip my 2 cups of Joe and enjoy, or never sip coffee again.

I was only told to give up caffeine before surgery. I too am a huge coffee snob and love it! I had a cup the day after surgery and I am now back to my travel mug every morning on the way to the gym. (about 12 oz of delicious goodness) That is really the only caffeine I drink besides the minimal amount in crystal light tea, which is a new addiction since surgery :unsure: