Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liftingchic, what hospital,dr. are you using? Im from Pittsburgh,actually Greensburg now. Im going to Magee, Dr. Corcoulis. Im scheduled for March 3rd. They wanted me to do it early Feb. but i was scared so i put it off a while. Good luck

West Penn :cursing: I heard Magee has a good program I just work for West Penn Health System so Its 100% covered if i stay in my hospital network.

I just got diagnosed last Friday and I was / am P-I-S-S-E-D!! :scared2:

I am having a really childish reaction to the whole thing. My tech was amazing. She had to strap me into that CPAP Hot Mess of a contraption about 90 minutes into the study because I was so severe. Good thing is - I don't have to go back because it was like two appointments in one!

I just keep telling myself to look at the "bright" side...this might help me with surgery approval because now there is something "wrong".:cursing:

Still, when the girl called to get me fitted with a machine - I got PISSED all over again!!! :) LOL But I'll do it - because I want my band.

End result, End result. LOL :cursing:

Liftingchic, I just checked your lap. profile and i see your using Dr. Urbandt. Ihave 2 friend that used him for bypass, both where very happy and successful. One friend is going on 7-8 years(he works at Monroeville Turnpike exchange), hes the midget guy there, maybe youve seen him. He lost over 130# and has kept it off. The other is a woman, she had bypass last Dec. 09, she was up and about right away,no pain. She lost 137# so far. Like i said, they are both very happy with him.

Thanks I have done alot of research and asked a million questions to Dr. Urbandt and Staff, they have been great so far..

I am scheduled for lapband on march 12 but I am still very unsure of my decision to do Lapband over Bypass..

I've had it for about 5 yrs. I was never really upset about it though. My Dr said I'd sleep better and have more energy. I was always taking naps and always felt tired. My wife couldnt sleep in the same room because my snoring was so bad. It was hard getting used to the mask but I cant sleep without it now. I tried about 3 different masks and then found the breeze mask. Its less restrictive.

Hi Ash!

My mother had a stroke at age 53 from sleep apnea. She had no idea what it even was before that, neither did I. Right afterwards I went in for a sleep study myself. I actually had to redo my sleep study because of my severe closterphobia...I had a panic attack. The second attempt to do the sleep study, I realized that it wasn't really that bad and felt kinda silly that I had had such a problem the first time around. I snored like a chain saw, woke up with headaches all the time, sore throat every morning, and fell asleep all the time, no matter where I was! I have it worse than my mother does so I'm glad I went in! I've been sleeping with my C-pap machine for two years now and feel so much better. You get used to the machine very quickly, and you get so much better sleep that it's all very worth it! I use a nasal pillow mask, it sets just under your nose rather that the face mask or nose mask. I am very closterphobic and did not like those big things in my face...but the nasal pillow doesn't bother me at all. Well good luck with your tests, hope all goes well for you!

Edited by LaDawnS

I had my first sleep study 5 years ago and also had them wake me up 1/2 way through coz they knew already I had severe sleep apnea. I knew by morning, after only a few hours with the CPAP, that I would feel better. Getting used to the mask was rough, but my doctor said it was better to wear it SOME of the time than not at all. I finally got used to it by wearing it sitting in the chair watching TV - it was like learning to breathe again.

I brought my CPAP to the hospital the day I was banded, knowing I was staying overnight. But no one seemed to know or care much about it -- I ended up getting out of bed myself to fetch it and try and get it set up, and I did sleep better because of it.

Am curious to see if it will go away completely or still leave me with a need for a CPAP but set at a lower level.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2003. One thing I can tell you is it takes a while to get used to the mask. I was waking up 120 times an hour!!!! It was insane, the Dr. told me I was more dangerous on the road than a drunk driver. I chose a mask that just went into my nostrils. My machine also has the ability to have me start it at half the pressure it needs to be and work up slowly to help you get used to it. It took a few months to totally get used to it. I would make it a few hours, then wake up and rip it off. In the end I felt soooooo much better. My machine actually broke about 6 months ago (bad me) and since I had lost 65 pounds I didnt snore as much I had not replaced it yet. I go for a repeat study on Feb 2, we will see if my settings need to be changed.

Stick with it, it will get better....and when you finally get a full nights rest, you won't believe the difference.

P.S my first post ever....yeah me:biggrin:

P.S my first post ever....yeah me:biggrin:

Welcome :wink:

I just got diagnosed last Friday and I was / am P-I-S-S-E-D!! :eek:

I am having a really childish reaction to the whole thing. My tech was amazing. She had to strap me into that CPAP Hot Mess of a contraption about 90 minutes into the study because I was so severe. Good thing is - I don't have to go back because it was like two appointments in one!

I just keep telling myself to look at the "bright" side...this might help me with surgery approval because now there is something "wrong".:)

Still, when the girl called to get me fitted with a machine - I got PISSED all over again!!! :) LOL But I'll do it - because I want my band.

End result, End result. LOL :wink:

LOL I felt the same way pissed/sad! I have my second sleep study tomorrow and I am NOT looking forward to it. In all honesty though with everyones input here I am feeling a lot better then I did before. It seems like its more of a good thing then anything. Yeah it may not be comfortable nor attractive lol but Im sure I can learn to love or at least accept it like most have. Im very anxious but now Im even more certain about my decision to get the LAP-BAND.

Edited by ash23