Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just don't get it.......

I'm now 2 weeks post-op. The first week after surgery I dropped 10 lbs. sooooo quickly, but for the last week haven't lost a single pound!! I don't get it! I'm eating about the third of the calories that I did pre-op, which is all way healthier by far. I don't understand why I'm not losing anything right now. The numbers just don't seem to add up. Anybody experience this? The doc did say, last Friday when I saw him, that I might not lose another pound for the next 5 weeks, until I see him again. I thought he was crazy! Turns out he may be right?? I just don't get it......:)

I think that it is fairly normal to not loose much until you get your first fill. It does go quickly though, no worries...those pounds will be flying off very soon! Good luck with everything!:)

Ditto! I only lost like 3 lbs after the first 2 weeks of the fat melting off after surgery. I walk 30 mins daily and I too am not taking in 1/3 of the calories I used to and yet, I can't lose anymore. Ugh. I too am hoping that it'll all melt off now that I got my band filled today.

Hang in there!

Calories in...calories out. Unless you have a medical condition (hypothydroidism, etc.), weight loss/gain comes down to mathematics. When we take in more calories than we spend, we gain. When we take in less calories than we spend, we lose. So, as much as we like to think we're 'eating healthier, less, etc.', the reality is that if we aren't losing weight, our intake and expenditure of calories is balancing out.

The amount of calories we expend is unique to each individual and is based on our age and activity level. The more sedentary you are, the fewer calories you will burn.

To muddy the waters further, if you drop your calories too low, too fast, your body will drop into starvation mode. It will become more efficient at storing those calories *and* will burn lean body muscle. Studies have shown that women who eat a 1200-1400 calorie diet will lose more weight than women who drop below 1000 calories.

Another factor to take into consideration is that if you are exercising regularly, your body may be building muscle. Now a pound of muscle = a pound of fat but muscle is denser so if you replace a specific 'volume' quantity of fat with an equal quantity of muscle, you might actually not lose weight even though you're losing fat. This is why so many of us will so we aren't losing weight based on the scale, but according to our clothes, we are.

Previous post is right on the money. Thanks for such a clear explanation. I have to admit though to sticking to about 650 calories and am loosing 3-4 pounds a week. My nutritionist has ok'd this. By the way, I am very short, 4'11.

I think it's pretty normal. My doctor told me not to worry to much about weight loss during the healing process after surgery which I know is not something anyone wants to hear, but I guess it makes sense cause you have alot going on internally after surgery even though it's minimally invasive compared to bypass. I guess the healing swelling does effect your weight loss, but then you start loosing again. I lost 7lbs at my 2 week post op appt. and then at my 6 week appt I had lost another 13lbs. Hope this makes you feel a little better about it. Congrats on your loss so far you are doing great for being 2 weeks out from surgery.:)

I had the same problem. I lost 11lbs the first week and then went 2 more weeks before I lost anything else. I've been steadily loosing 1 - 1.5 lbs per week since then. I think it might have to do with the fact that you were on liquids for a week. :)

weight.png

I was told over and over again to not expect to lose any until after you get restriction and then only 1-2 lbs a week. I lost 10 lbs the first week too but then only 1 or two a week. I skipped weeks when I needed a fill too so at some point, I will be working those first 10 lbs into that equation. Sometimes the hardest work we do is getting out heads fixed to the right attitude!!!

I dropped 10 pounds really quick right after surgery too and then had a week when I lost nothing, but now am losing again at least one pound a week (sometimes two). So, now I am 5 weeks out and down 15 from my surgery date. Just keep doing the right things as much as you can and hopefully you can still lose a few more pounds before your fill. Just gotta realize that the band isn't doing much for you right now because your swelling from the surgery is gone and you don't have any restriction. I think most of us have gone through the same thing or are going through it right now. I know I am!