Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction but never not hungry

I have had 2 fills since my surgery in October. I now have restriction when I eat and drink. BUT I am never not hungry. Yes, some of it is head hunger (how I hate that term) but much of it hunger-rumbling tummy, and an emptiness. I have been very diligent about not drinking and washing the food through. I am having some trouble with solid Protein like chicken and beef, but can have quite a bit of semi mushie, like turkey chili. I know I am over eating b/c the snacking is ridiculous. I eat and am hungry as I am eating and still hungry a 1/2 hour later. Very frustrating..... :biggrin:

I am down 30 lbs. officially and 34 on my scale right now!

I'm interested in reading the responses you get to this question--I'm hungry a lot, too.

I've been experimenting over the last few days, because I noticed that I wan't eating a lot of fat. Skim milk for shakes, low-fat beef for burgers, chicken breasts with no visible fat, tuna.... So I've tried adding in a serving of nuts in the afternoon, and that's seemed to help. I bought 2% milk to use instead of skim for my morning shakes to see if that helps with satiety, as well.

I don't know if this where the answer lies, but maybe it's worth considering.

I'm glad you posted this. I have the same problem and I want another fill but I'm not sure my surgeon will do it. I've also had two fills, but I only have 3.5 cc's in my 10 cc band. I'm genuinely hungry; stomach rumbling every 30 minutes. I've heard suggestions to eat more Protein and things that will keep me full so I have completely revamped my choices but still find myself constantly hungry. Any weight that I have lost to date is because I workout at least an hour every single day and I just stick it out when I'm hungry. But I know that I can't keep this up for much longer.

Are you getting in all of your Water? At least 64 oz a day? Not sugar-free sweetened drinks, but true water? I found that Crystal Light was hindering my weight loss and switched to water only with an occasional (once a week) flavored sugar free drink, and when I did that I noted that I wasn't necessarily hungry, but I was always thirsty. Maybe this is part of the issue--not necessarily hunger, but thirst?

I want another fill but I'm not sure my surgeon will do it. I've also had two fills, but I only have 3.5 cc's in my 10 cc band.
Why one earth wouldn't your surgeon give you another fill?! Is it just a matter of timing (i.e., too soon since your last fill)? I would go BONKERS if my doctor weren't on board with really maximizing the potential of the tool he was willing to implant in my body.

Thank God I am not alone. I feel hungry too! I know the band will not take all my hunger away all the time however I was in hopes it would "help" me a bit more.

I have 4.5 in my 10cc band now and go in for fill #3 this Monday, I am hoping it will finally take the edge off. I sent my dietitian my food diary for the past few days ... she said great job with good food so I guess my inly problem is that I am still eating too much good food?

Are you getting in all of your Water? At least 64 oz a day? Not sugar-free sweetened drinks, but true Water? I found that Crystal Light was hindering my weight loss and switched to water only with an occasional (once a week) flavored sugar free drink, and when I did that I noted that I wasn't necessarily hungry, but I was always thirsty. Maybe this is part of the issue--not necessarily hunger, but thirst?

I thought Crystal Light was OK and sugarfree. I have had the band since 11/09/09 and I am still waiting on my first fill. (schedule issues) but I feel a complete failure at the band so far.:) I loose some and then gain it back - just like I did pre-band. I have been drinking Crystal light alot. Did this make a big difference for you?

Thanks for the info. I am willing to try anything. :)

For the thread starter.. What has helped me stay full between meals is eating my protien. It stays in the pouch longer, and gives the sense of feeling full longer. So try eating more protien and green veggies. Always eat lean Proteins every meal..at least 4 oz.. This should really help you. Stay away from mushie, slider foods.

I really love ground turkey. I eat it in patties, with a slice of mozzerella cheese, and some broccoli.. ( get the frozen steamers) you can pop those in the microwave, makes for a quick easy meal.

I also use it to make taco meat, stroganoff meatballs.. There are so many different things you can do with it. And it is lean, very good for you.

With regards to the artificial sweetners..(i.e.) crystal lite. My surgeon told me that something in the artificial sweetner's tricks the brain into making you feel hungry. Many people post op that stop drinking these types of drinks tend to have better results once they stop. It really has helped me. I try to stick to Water.

Why one earth wouldn't your surgeon give you another fill?! Is it just a matter of timing (i.e., too soon since your last fill)? I would go BONKERS if my doctor weren't on board with really maximizing the potential of the tool he was willing to implant in my body.

Unfortunately, my surgeon is very conservative with fills. On my 2nd fill, when I told him I had no restriction at all and felt like I didn't even have a band, he still only gave me .5 cc's. I am afraid he will look at the weight I have lost (because I have lost about 8 lbs this month) and not think I need a fill. However, that 8 pounds has been due to exercising 60-90 minutes every day and will power. Which won't last long, obviously or else I wouldn't need the band in the first place:laugh:

I just had an epiphany when you were talking about the Water. I love Diet Green Tea but have a hard time finding it in my small town. I have had to drink water since I don't like anything else. I have had much less hunger to deal with since I have been drinking water.... Wow thanks.

I also do much better when I choose band friendly foods. Protein, and green vegs. When I first got my fill, I had trouble with some Proteins. I found that my homemade meatloaf went down fine, so just kept trying different kinds. Sometimes I was only able to eat a few bites of my protein and sometimes I was able to eat more. I lose better and have less trouble with hunger when I use real food. I also don't buy or use anything low fat. I believe we need a small amount of fat in our diet and we need it to be the real stuff. Some Vitamins cannot be used by the body with out real fat, and it also increases satiety a lot.... Not to even mention the chemicals that are in many of the low fat foods. They often replace the fat with sugar which is a no no for my diabetes. Just a few of my thoughts!! Hugs!!!!

What's interesting about your question is your comment that you are having some trouble with solid Protein (swallowing) but that your tummy is still hungry. You also mention that you can eat quite a bit of semi mushies like Turkey Chili. Ariel Ortiz Lagardere is the main developer of the LAP-BAND. He has a book, 'Lap-Band® for Life" that is useful. One important point he makes is that the lap-band is made for solid foods (especially proteins). He says you can eat a LOT of liquid, soft and semi soft foods and you can get fat -- or you will at least slow your weight loss by doing that. He says to stay away from Soups, soft foods, drinks or you will "fool" the band. The soft food goes down easy and gets digested fast so you are hungry fast. The fact that solid protein goes down slowly shows that your band is properly adjusted. You don't want it tighter because if it's too tight it can do very serious damage to your esophagus. When you chew that solid food well and it goes down slowly -- it will sit in your stomach for quite a while. I have noticed that when I stick with lower amount of carbs and rely on solid protein and veggies I don't get hungry. When I go more for soft foods (that have more carbs) I get hungry. Ortiz says that if you are actually hungry then your body wants/needs more solid protein. He also says that it might be better for you to have 4 or 5 very light meals (snacks) a day than 2 or 3 meals. You will end up with fewer calories and no hunger if you eat frequently. I do keep a low carb Protein Drink, a small packet of nuts, and a small foil wrapped stick of cheese with me at all times in case I need protein or a snack. I also have it handy if I get a strong craving. One of those Snacks with a cup of tea or coffee will take care of you. (Remember that if you are eating a lot of sugar/carbs then it makes your glucose level rise and that will make you feel hungry.) There are days -- I probably eat 2 very light meals and a snack in the eve. Other days -- I'm hungrier and end up eating 5 light meal/snacks. If you ARE eating solids and don't feel ANY tightness as you are eating solids and you are STILL hungry ---(and if you are NOT eating a lot of sugars and carbs that would make your blood sugar rise and make you hungry)-- you probably need a fill. If your MD says no ---SMACK HIM ONE!!!!! Best Wishes.

Edited by Desdemona

Thank you all for your responses. I only received a notice about the last post or else I would have responded sooner. The last post was quite informative. I understand about the soft slider foods not helping hunger. I just had a fill January 7th and have had a decent amount of restriction. I have been working on chewing and chewing and chewing and it has helped quite a bit with meat and solid Protein. I am a gobbler and have to really work on that.

As a teacher I often eat and read papers or grab a bite and make copies and don't really sit and eat. I also am called to meetings constantly on my lunch period and find I can not eat like that. I always get stuck, so I often skip lunch which is awful. Not to mention we only get 42 minutes, so by the time I clean up my room, heat my food and use the BR I barely have 20 minutes, never mind the suggested 1/2 hour to eat.

I have been banded since 10/5/09 and am still making peace with my band. I will check out the Lap band for life book. It seems very helpful.

Glad to know I am not alone. I will monitor this and see what changes I can make along the way. I also will discuss with Physician's assistant when I go in February.

Thank all!