Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss, Protein, Bioten etc...

I had surgery on 9/18/2009 and have been doing extremly well with losing. However it seems that as fast as I am losing the weight I am losing twice as much hair.< /p>

My Dr said it is because I am not getting enough Protein but I am getting more than what he recommends. I average between 75 and 100 gms of protein a day.

I also take bioten daily but that doesn't seem to help.

I started losing the hair at about 3 months. I did read some posts that said it starts then but everyone else seems to have stopped shedding.

I made my neice a quilt this Christmas and it was covered in my hair by the time I finished. I had to get one of those sticky rollers for my hair.

My meals consist of:

Bfst-one of the following: high protein oatmeal, egg, special K

Lunch- tuna, egg, low salt lunch meat, broiled chicken or fish

Dinner- some kind of meat, some veggies

snacks- in mid afternoon I usually have a Protein Shake (35 gms) or protein shot (49 gms) or a Protein Bar (32 gms)

that seems to be alot of protein but I am still shedding. My hair is very fine and it is really fine now and won't hold a curl at all. It was a little longer than shoulder length but I cut it to chin length when it really started falling out because it was really getting thin.

Anyone have any ideas? should I spread the protein I get at snack time through the day? does your body dump protein if taken too quickly?

I had surgery on 9/18/2009 and have been doing extremly well with losing. However it seems that as fast as I am losing the weight I am losing twice as much hair.

My Dr said it is because I am not getting enough Protein but I am getting more than what he recommends. I average between 75 and 100 gms of Protein a day.

I started losing the hair at about 3 months. I did read some posts that said it starts then but everyone else seems to have stopped shedding.

I made my neice a quilt this Christmas and it was covered in my hair by the time I finished. I had to get one of those sticky rollers for my hair.

My meals consist of:

Bfst-one of the following: high protein oatmeal,egg, special K

snacks- in mid afternoon I usually have a protein shake (35 gms) or protein shot (49 gms) or a protein bar (32 gms)

that seems to be alot of protein but I am still shedding. My hair is very fine and it is really fine now and won't hold a curl at all. It was a little longer than shoulder length but I cut it to chin length when it really started falling out because it was really getting thin.

Anyone have any ideas? should I spread the protein I get at snack time through the day? does your body dump protein if taken too quickly?

Im only 3 weeks post op and haven't really lost any weight but this is one of my big fears. I am anxious to hear what others say. In talking to others most told me that it lasts about two months and then hair stops falling out and appears to grow again. Hang in there.

I freak when I see these threads! I am just starting the Lap Band process and really worry about the Hair loss thing if I get the surgery.

I was losing my hair until is started taking Centrum Silver. I was shedding alot but it seems to be normal now.

I'm pre-op and have been losing my hair for about a year, I've heard that too much Protein can cause hair loss!!!

I'm wondering if you are taking a really good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement?!?!

I had surgery on 9/18/2009 and have been doing extremly well with losing. However it seems that as fast as I am losing the weight I am losing twice as much hair.

My Dr said it is because I am not getting enough Protein but I am getting more than what he recommends. I average between 75 and 100 gms of Protein a day.

My meals consist of:

Bfst-one of the following: high protein oatmeal,egg, special K

snacks- in mid afternoon I usually have a protein shake (35 gms) or protein shot (49 gms) or a protein bar (32 gms)

All of those things you are eating is great...but how much at each meal are you getting? If you are only eating a few bites of chicken or egg (per meal), thats not enough. Remember that your body can only use about 25gr of protein at a time. I have dieted in the past many times and lost a ton of hair....so far Im doing great with that. My nutritionist and I have actually discussed Hair loss and she reviews my meal plans. Hope this helps

I just had a fill today and was talking to my doctor about this. While I'm excited to be losing weight, I don't want to end up bald. My hair is really falling out fast, and he told me not to worry, that it's from the rapid weight loss and that it will stop falling out and will grow back. I was told to keep up with my Protein and Water, also to take Biotin and Zinc. I've been taking these for a month or two and it's still falling out. I'm just trying to be patient. People say they don't notice a difference in my hair but I do. Good luck to you!

some of the things I forgot to mention.

I take a chewable multi vitamen that my bariatric Dr sells in his office and 1 chewable Calcium twice daily for 1000 mg of calcium.

I never ate this much Protein when I was heavier, I filled up on Pasta and bread. Bread was my favorite treat, I would go to the bakery and buy a french bread still warm and eat most of it on the drive home.

I eat a 1/2 chicken breast at dinner, and when I have eggs I eat 2, either scrambled or fried.

I eat 1/2 can of tuna with low cal mayo on 2 slices of bread crust cut off so it doesn't block.

I do eat alot, but have cut out all sweets and junk, although I have been eating popcorn alot lately during late evening tv.

I am losing weight quickly because I used to drink 2 liters of coke and eat a whole box of twinkies or funny bones during tv before the band. My food choices have improved a bit. lol.

I am going to see the Dr next week and will talk to him again. If I am losing the hair because of the weight loss then I might have to get the 2 cc fill out just so I can eat more. Who knows.

One more thing, I did have bloodwork done a few weeks ago and all my chemicals are within normal range and I am not burning protein in my urine so my general Dr has no idea why the hair is falling out so quickly.

I'm losing hair rapidly, too. I'm 7 months post-op and have been losing hair for the past 4 months. My husband complains not about the fact that I have less hair but because he is constantly having to clear the hair out of the tub drain! My doctor said it will slow down, so I'm trusting him on that. I too take a multi-Vitamin and try to get as much Protein as possible, but I don't think I'm getting in all my Protein. However, unlike some people, I'd take being bald over being fat!

That being said, my kids have noticed my Hair loss, and that sometimes has me worried. I feel so great, generally, that I try not to let the hair loss bother me.

Awhile back I googled Hair loss and weight loss and they seem to be connected. I guess if you lose at lot of weight in a relatively short amount of time, there may be some hair loss. Is it just hair on your head? Because I wouldn't mind losing hair on my upper lip or on my hairy arms, lol.

My nutrionist told me to add 2 Tbs of essential oils to my diet. That can be fish oil, oilve oil, 2 evening primrose oil caps, ect. Your body needs fat to operate. If you are not getting enough fat this can lead to hairloss as well. Even when i was on WW 2 servings of essential oils were on our to do list on a daily basis. I dont see why you cant add it to your regime. I take evening primorse oil because it ALSO regulates female hormones, which help with the Kamakazi periods we get from our weightloss effecting our hormones.

Rapid weight loss and losing hair go together like Valentines and hearts. It's more common to lose than not. But it's ok. Take a deep breath... let it out slowly... it WILL grow back. It is not permanent Hair loss. It's just scary as hell!!! I have heard of hair getting pretty thin, but nobody going bald so far. So hang in there, continue doing what the doc says and you will come out the other side. With your normal hair and a smaller body!!! Even my hair dresser says that the worst cases she's seen from her WLS customers always have a turning point where the hair comes back in. You're gonna do great!

I will be one year post op on the 11th of February. My Hair loss is finally starting to slow down. It seems that during this time that nothing I've done helps with the hair loss. NOTHING. I've taken Bitotin for the last 6 months. I honestly just think it's just something that stops/slows down when the weight loss slows. Just my personal opinion, of course. At least that is seeming to be my personal experience anyway.

I'm losing hair rapidly, too. I'm 7 months post-op and have been losing hair for the past 4 months. My husband complains not about the fact that I have less hair but because he is constantly having to clear the hair out of the tub drain! My doctor said it will slow down, so I'm trusting him on that. I too take a multi-Vitamin and try to get as much Protein as possible, but I don't think I'm getting in all my Protein. However, unlike some people, I'd take being bald over being fat!

That being said, my kids have noticed my Hair loss, and that sometimes has me worried. I feel so great, generally, that I try not to let the hair loss bother me.

This is about where I'm at now too, although I think it's beginning to slow down. My surgeon said it's usually grown back or well on its way by a year. Fingers crossed.

I never had any Hair loss and was expecting it. The only thing I did that I thought was different was that I ate Peanut Butter most every day which contains a lot of fat and also used olive oil. I think many people leave fat out of their diet when trying to lose weight and unless you eat lots of good fish you are not going to get the fat the body needs.