Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6mo supervised weight loss - how much did you lose?

If you had to complete the six month supervised weight loss....how much did you lose? I am curious for the normal diet results - not once you started pre-op liquids and such.

Thanks!

I was on the 6 month supervised weight loss from April until October. I lost 40 pounds. I had first gone to a nutritionist who guided my diet. She suggested using only a salad plate to eat off. It is surprising what a difference that makes to your head. Your mind really starts to think of a full plate as all you need. And a full plate at salad size is only about 1/2 of dinner plate size. Anyway, good luck. It is not easy, but helpful that the doctor monitors you.

I had to also do a 6 months supervised diet plan. I started at 289 first visit (290 2nd visit) and was 283 at 6 month class. They told me as long as I did not gain weight, I would not have a problem with my insurance has long has I do everything they required. They were right because I was approved no problem.

Only had to complete 3 months but I have dropped 68 pounds since my initial consultation on September 18th.

I should have a date for surgery any day now.

I lost 0 pounds, but I didn't gain any either. I'll admit it, I didn't really diet. I did exercise like my ins required, but I didn't really watch what I ate.

I did watch what I ate a little, but I wouldn't say I honestly stuck to the diet plan. I lost 13 pounds pre-op but that does include the liquid phase, too. I don't know how much was before liquids or how much was after.

I had a dilema when I started my 6 mo. I went in weighing 308 with a 41 BMI. I could not fall under 300 or my BMI would fall below 40 and I would not be approved for surgery. On my 2nd visit I weighed in at 310 (no problems but I was not dieting at all). On my 3rd visit I had gone up to 315. The Dr. lectured me and told me that I was risking being booted out of the program. He put me on appetite suppresants and on my 4th visit I had lost 12 lbs to weigh in at 303. I was told to just maintian my weight for the rest of the program. Visit 5 came after a big drinking weekend and I was back up to 309 (most of this was Water weight). My final visit was yesterday and my final weight was 304 and my BMI was 41. So, to make a long story short, I was able to loose 4 lbs but that was really all that I could afford to loose and I really did not diet that much.

Can you lose too much weight? I am on a 6 mo supervised diet for the insurance company.

Can you lose too much weight? I am on a 6 mo supervised diet for the insurance company.

NO! At least according to my surgeon's office. I asked at least a half dozen times and the answer was always the same, "we use your weight from the first consultation."

Ask your surgeon before you go wasting 6 months trying to stay as fat as you can. It's only more weight you will have to lose later.

Not a ton. I had a three-week supervision, and was required (by insurance and my surgeon) to lose 6 pounds. Those with a six-month supervision were required to lose 10.

I lost right about in that range--I didn't push for tons more because I was teetering on the brink of a BMI that would push me into self-pay territory; no one could give me a really definitive answer about whether the insurer would go with my FIRST weight, or the weight after the diet, so I lost what was required.

I should add that my group had NO specific recommendations for the supervised diet. Supervision consisted of monthly weigh-ins--diet and exercise decisions were left up to the individual. (This changed dramatically once approval was received from insurance; my surgeon has a VERY stringent, prescribed diet for postops.)

Ok here is my question. I do not have high blood pressure or diabetes...thank goodness but that means my insurance requires that my BMI be at least a 40. So if I lose wt during my 6 month req physcian wt loss does that mean I wont be okd for surgery?

Edited by NightNurse

I gained 30 pounds.

I gained 30 pounds.

I can't tell you happy that makes me! Thanks for the smile!:)

I can't tell you happy that makes me! Thanks for the smile!:)

I figure that means you lost 30 pounds by the way!