Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips from successful losers

I have been stuck floating at the same weight for about five or six months now, which was also the last time I got a fill. My weightloss has been incredibly slow and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I work out four to five times a week and burn 2700-3000 calories per day (i got a body bugg to track it) but I am still not seeing any success. I think I am eating to much. I don't get good restriction even after the fill it only feels tight for a few days. My last fill I lost five lbs and then got stuck again around 285. In total I've only lost about 40-45 lbs. I am approaching my year mark and thought I would have lost double that by now.

I want to take advantage of this opportunity and the tool I have. I want to lose the weight. I spent a lot of time understanding why I eat, but now I just need some help getting traction again. Losing another 100 lbs seems so daunting. Anyone out there have little tips they use to keep them on track? Did you up your Protein? How often do you need fills? My doctor doesn't remind us to scedule, we just call when we feel like it and that makes me wonder if my understanding of restriction is not really correct...like maybe I have never had true restriction. They said I wouldn't be able to eat bread or certain meats but I always have...

I'm just trying to figure out what is normal/average and how I can adapt so that i am more likely to be successful going forward. Any advice is appreciated.

:blink:

Meli

Hi:

Have you tried counting your caloric intake? If your body burning is correct at 2700 to 3000 you should be losing quite a bit unless your calories are too high. You can track both your calories and your calorie burn by activity on my daily plate. If you search for it I think it's on LIVESTRONG.com. If your calorie burn is that high and you're calorie intake is low (like 1000 to 1200 per day) and you're still not losing you should talk to your doctor about what could be going on.

If you haven't had a fill in a long time you should probably go and check in with your surgeon and get your fill up to the level that you need.

Another thing to do is to switch around your foods. I tended to get in a rut with eating the same thing each day. When I would plateau I would change my foods and sometimes this would help me out of a plateau.

I wish you well with your band. I love my band!

Sue

Ooops. I forgot something. I had issues thinking about having to lost 150 pounds. It was far too overwhelming to think of such a large number. I figured out that for me I needed to just think about one pound at a time. It made it much easier for me. So, you may want to forget about the 100 pounds you want to lose and concentrate on just the next pound and then do it over and over and over and over again.

Good luck!

Sue

I was reading in another post that Protein was key for one person that wasn't loosing. She went from 40-50 grams of protein to 70 grams and started to loose weight again. Maybe that will help?

There is some great documentation on the Bodybugg site:

bodybugg

I think that may only be available to Bodybugg subscribers.

Thanks all! I am going to make an appointment with my Dr. and maybe the nutritionist. I've been more focused over the last week about actually tracking my foods and measuring them out. I was doing it for so long that I got comfortable eye balling things, but I think over time my portions may have gotten larger than they should be. The focus on those two things has helped me feel more confident about what is going into my body. Also over the holidays I may have been snacking more than usual. Those Cookies definitely add up quickly.

I found that I have to physically stop and ask myself if I am really hungry? Could I actually be thirsty? Could it be head hunger (which I think a lot of the snacking is a result of that). I'm finding that when I focus on those things my calorie intake stays in the right range but it is a lot of work!

My first thought was, if you are burning that many calories, you probably aren't eating enough calories! Your body will start to store what you eat instead of burning it if you don't take in enough to compensate what you are burning off.

You should definitely go to Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate to track your intake for a few days to get an idea of where you are nowadays. If it's still in the 1200 cal. range, it might be too low for that amount of exercise. The Daily Plate also tracks the amount of Protein you take in, and you should try to get at least 60 g. a day -- again, probably more if you are exercising that much.

The Daily Plate also has a calorie goal calculator. You plug in your weight, height, exercise level, and how much you want to lose per week. It then tells you how many calories you should eat each day to achieve that weight loss goal.

Good luck! :thumbup:

I did it! I forced myself to call my surgeon and get over my own fear of being embarrassed by my slow weight loss and go in for an appointment. I've been using this silly rule that I have to make so much progress before I go in and get another fill and I realized that I had to let go of that because I have not been able to really find my sweet spot yet and let the tool work as it should. So I will get another fill and I am also going to speak with the nutritionist! The big day is 2/10 so i'll spend the next few weeks really tracking everything I do!

Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement!

Congratulations! Glad you took that step! :unsure::thumbup::bored:

Meliwriter - I hope your appointment goes well today! Don't forget to keep us posted on what you found out and how you're doing !!!! :-)

I'm a very slow loser as well ...

Hi All!,

I am sorry I haven't reported back in sooner. I didn't have my original appt as scheduled because of all the back to back snowstorms we had. Ugh. But two weeks ago I finally got in and got a fill. She added a full cc and was nervous about it being too tight but to be honest this is the first true restriction I have EVER had. Since then I have been doing great. I am loving this and losing about 2lbs a week (with 5 days of exercise). I just wanted to say thanks to all those who encouraged me to go back and get another fill. I hoping this restriction will stick. I already have another appt for april 1 and will hopefully just get a tiny adjustment to keep the pace going.

Meli

Congrats!! That's great news!!

Too many people get discouraged and give up.

Glad to hear you are doing so well! :w00t::smile2: