Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op: Very active job

I have a very active job. I'm a certified nursing assistant at a nursing home. All day I'm on my feet, lifting, pushing, pulling, etc on patients. Some are light and some are very heavy.

I was wondering if anyone on here has a very active job and how long did the doctor suggest healing time. I am aiming my surgery on March 18th, but that isn't 100%. I know I can take off 1.5 to 2 weeks off. Would you think that is enough? I do plan on asking my doctor, but I thought I would start here first. I am not allowed to come back until I am fully healed.

I do a moderately active job- up and down all the time with occasinally heavy lifting and hoiking. I had two weeks off. Believe me-you will want that time off. I bet you wouldn't realise how much you rely on your core muscles when you move/lift/walk. I am still a little sore in my middle after a month of surgery. You could probably go three weeks. You might go stir crazy bored but you have to be careful and mindful of your band and the stitching and you need to heal as much as possible befroe you put pressure on those areas again. Hope that helps. Jen

I have a very active job. I'm a certified nursing assistant at a nursing home. All day I'm on my feet, lifting, pushing, pulling, etc on patients. Some are light and some are very heavy.

My doctor told me I could resume regular activity after two weeks...until he found that my regular activity included lifting 25# containers. I was limited to 5# lift for 2 weeks and a max 10# lift for 6 weeks. I was not allowed to lift 25# until about week 7 or 8.

You don't want to be walking a patient and have them suddenly dead weight on you with 100+ pounds. It wouldn't be safe for them or you.

typically 2 weeks should do it. construction workers can return to work after 2 weeks, so i believe that you should be safe. i'm currently in a certified nursing assistant program, but i do perform all labs on actual people and i am returning after only one week post op.

just make sure that after your surgery you get a ton of Protein, rest, and fluids. anything that can help your recovery.

I was released to work after 3 days with a lifting limit of 10 pounds for 4 weeks. I'm at 3 1/2 weeks and feel great but if I forget and lift something heavy my tummy reminds me....Good luck!

Hmmmm...

I just figured that the most I can take off is 3 weeks. I could take off a little more if my mom helped pay my car loan...

I will seriously have to talk to my doctor. At my work we have what is called "light duty." It's for those, I guess, have hurt themselves on the job. For most people, it is their back. They want me fully healed, but I understand. I'll have to miss out on one pay check. I guess it's worth it, but it still sucks though.

This is the only thing that worries me now. I'm not worried about the surgery or the lifestyle change... it's my work. Blah!

Hmmmm...

I just figured that the most I can take off is 3 weeks. I could take off a little more if my mom helped pay my car loan...

I will seriously have to talk to my doctor. At my work we have what is called "light duty." It's for those, I guess, have hurt themselves on the job. For most people, it is their back. They want me fully healed, but I understand. I'll have to miss out on one pay check. I guess it's worth it, but it still sucks though.

This is the only thing that worries me now. I'm not worried about the surgery or the lifestyle change... it's my work. Blah!

Have your doctor write you a note to be on a lifting restriction. It's illegal for your work to push you past your lifting restriction. I used to be a CNA- 4 years on the Ortho floor at a busy hospital. I was lucky enough to have a desk job by the time I had surgery. Now, i'm actually alittle skeptical about getting back into nursing because of fear of injuring myself/port area. That's prolly just me being silly though. Just have your doctor write you a note :tt1:

Hi Manda my job is a steamfitter. Wen I told my Dr. the amount of lifting daily he said 6 weeks nothing over 15# first 4 weeks we talked and settled in 5 weeks of. I think 3 or 4 would have been plenty but I had had previous hernia repair 1 year prior so everyone is different good luck Spank

Hmmmm...

They may 'want' you fully healed but if they have 'light duty' you may want to check with your personnel dept to find out what their written policies are. Check with unemployment as well. My cousin is an RN and went in for some elective surgery and was not allowed back to work until she was fully healed. She was able to collect unemployment for that period because she had no vacation or sick time to use. I don't know exactly what she filed, but I know it was through unemployment...even though she had a job she was going back to after her doctor released her to full duty.

One thing I've found in working for companies is they rarely tell you anything that gives the advantage to the employee...unless they have to.

i am also a cna and in an ER, and on my feet for 12 hour shifts and my doctor told me to take it easy for 4 weeks. At 2 and a half weeks i was feeling really good and forgot and picked up a small child( a 4 year old) an hour or 2 later i felt my side get sore and it started swelling up. i immediately called my doctor he said as long as i wasnt having sharp pains it was okay but to rest up. i had to return to work unfortunately at 3 weeks post-op, i wish i would have taken the 4 weeks because it wasnt easy, having to find others to move patients for you and being unable to help. i am 4 weeks post-op now and still feel a bother if lift anyone too heavy but nothing like that first time.

I have a really hectic job (RN on a busy labor and delivery floor) and I work 12 hour shifts. I was told by my doctor that I could return in 1 week which would be tomorrow- grateful I am not scheduled until Friday and Saturday (1 1/2 weeks post op). I am a bit nervous about returning but have to as we have a really strict attendance policy and I did not share with them that I was having the surgery. I feel pretty good right now and have been walking 2-3 miles a day since the surgery, but now am worried about being able to handle the 12 hour shifts...any suggestions?

I am a charge RN on a cardiac floor and routinely help other nurses do lifts, turns, etc. I am returning after being off for 3 weeks. Doc said that would be sufficient. Thanks to the crew i work with, if i dont want to lift anything I dont have to. They will be looking after me....I am always leary of lifting heavy pts anyway so i rely on slings alot....Hope this helps..........

Hmmmm...

Hi, I am an RN and work on a total care unit. We only have one tech (nursing assistant) so it is essential that we pull and push patients. I would never have considered going back in less than 6 wks. You will have a port attched to your stomach muscles, it is easy to pull it out of place if you do anything to strenuous.

I have surgery scheduled for this thursday (gall bladder/hernia repair) and have arranged to take off 6 weeks and have my two weeks of accumulated leave paid to me at 24 hrs per pay period. That will give me a small amount of income over the six week time period. I get unpaid leave under FMLA.

It is well worth the down time to get your band and get the weight off. You wil probably loose a lot less time off due to illness and injury not to mention being a more productive, happier Tech! You guys are vital. You can make or break a nurses night and a patients safety. I love good techs!:smile2:

Corliss

i definately say take the 4 weeks if you can. i wouldnt risk it. especially since as a tech we are the ones that get killed the most. i know i do, especially working in an ER when we have a new patient rolling thru the door every few minutes that have to be moved onto cart or onto an xray or ct table. Just listen to your body, you will know when its too much. the first week back i made myself useful in other ways by having the room ready with equipment, monitoring, vitals and blood draws and i secretly avoided lifting because i also didnt tell my job about the surgery. and the 12 hours isnt bad just take your breaks but be mindful of the lifting. i surprisingly didnt have issues pushing the cart around the hospital but definately didnt lift anyone.

I've been told I can resume lifting on Week 5. All other activities can return to normal immediately (with the exception of driving; have to wait until no longer taking pain meds).